• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pro Bowl voting leaders through Tuesday

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton Manning tops 2013 Pro Bowl voting; Tom Brady No. 2 - NFL.com

I fully understand why alot of these guys get in when it comes to the the fan voting, but Jake Long, Logan Mankins, Maurkice Pouncey, and to a smaller extent, Ed Reed, probably should not get that recognition from the AFC this year unless you want to make it just about who most people want to see. They got the wrong Dolphin AND the wrong Pouncey in there right now because MIKE Pouncey deserves recognition right now in my opinion.

Polamalu? That's an laugher for obvious reasons.

John Kuhn? Really? I dare anybody to present a sound argument for him.

I'm surprised Matt Kalil is the NFC leader at tackle right now, though I don't have a big problem with that one so far because he's been pretty darn solid from what I've seen/read.

Jeff Saturday shouldn't sniff the Pro Bowl this year if he continues to perform the way he has so far.

Akers? Ha.

Jared Allen? Ehhh.

Good for Henry Melton for leading DTs. If he wasn't a Chicago Bear and he was still performing the same way for many other teams, I have a feeling he probably wouldn't be getting the same attention he's gotten.

Charles Woodson is one of the biggest laughers on there, too, but he's Charles Woodson and he's a Packer, so it doesn't surprise me.

I'm shocked that many have voted for Spillman so far.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Ed Reed and Troy Palumalu will be starting? Fantastic.

It really blows me away how little press Geno Atkins gets. It's really a shame.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh Ed Reed and Troy Palumalu will be starting? Fantastic.

It really blows me away how little press Geno Atkins gets. It's really a shame.

There's still time to vote. Those are just the leaders by position for each team right now. If Atkins doesn't make it on the first go-around, he'll probably get in eventually because a zillion players will pull out.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers should not be leading...that is pure homerism.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers should not be leading...that is pure homerism.

It isn't homerism. It's the fact that most people voting are casual football fans who don't track kickers. They saw Akers hit the 63 yarder, so they vote for him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/20/pro-bowl-cheat-sheet-the-afc-3/

-----

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/20/pro-bowl-cheat-sheet-the-nfc-3/

Fullback: Bruce Miller (SF)

Just a solid hit-you-in-the-mouth lead blocker. Does he stand out? No. But then he consistently executes. I like that

----------

Tight Ends: Vernon Davis (SF) and Tony Gonzalez (ATL)

While the numbers say Davis has been having a down year, the tape says he’s having his best. He’s taken full advantage of what pass catching chances he’s had, while his blocking is more consistent than ever. I’d understand those who would go for Jason Witten and his superior blocking over Gonzalez. But the Falcon has been so good for Atlanta catching the ball I couldn’t ignore him.

-----------

Offensive Tackles: Trent Williams (WAS), Anthony Davis (SF) and Joe Staley (SF)

I very nearly opted for Gosder Cherilus at right tackle, but I wanted a guy who packed more of a punch in the run game. Step forward Davis, who still has the odd bad moment in pass protection, but has really stepped it up this year. Williams and Staley are two different types of tackles, but no guy in the NFC has come close to them in terms of on field production.

Offensive Guards: Evan Mathis (PHI), Alex Boone (SF) and Mike Iupati (SF)

Both Jahri Evans and Rob Sims will feel disappointed. They’re ranked three and four in the PFF guard rankings, but with their work being heavily weighted toward pass blocking I wanted some guards who mauled a little more. The 49ers pair and Mathis definitely fit that criteria.

Centers: John Sullivan (MIN) and Jonathan Goodwin (SF)

Much like the AFC, you could make a case for a number of other guys. I get why people would pick Will Montgomery or Max Unger, but I really like centers who can handle big defensive tackles. Sullivan is playing as well as anyone right now, with Goodwin not far off that pace.

---------

Defensive Tackles: Gerald McCoy (TB), Justin Smith (SF) and Nick Fairley (DET)

McCoy and Smith were slam-dunk picks after the NFL decided to credit Smith as a DT. Odd that Calais Campbell isn’t, don’t you think? The final choice came down to Fairley, Kevin Williams, Henry Melton, and Brandon Mebane. I obviously have a short memory, but I just can’t help but be impressed by Nick Fairley nearly every time I see him play. He’s a real force and the only player who might threaten the dominance of Geno Atkins as the league’s best defensive tackle.

-------------

Inside Linebackers: Daryl Washington (ARZ) and Patrick Willis (SF)

With NaVorro Bowman not playing as well in the past couple of weeks I avoided the usual agonizing decision that I refer to as ‘Khaled’s Choice’. I could plump for the all-around play of Willis and playmaker Washington with a clear conscience.

Outside Linebackers: Clay Matthews (GB), DeMarcus Ware (DAL) and Aldon Smith (SF)

I’ve gone pass rusher heavy here. Matthews and Ware continue to get the job done, even if seven penalties for Ware are far too many. The last choice I went for Smith, though if he didn’t beat up on the Bears like he did I could quite easily have gone for his teammate Ahmad Brooks, or Lance Briggs.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers announced the following players are leading the fan vote:

C.J. Spillman - special teamer
Mike Iupati
David Akers
Patrick Willis

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers announced the following players are leading the fan vote:

C.J. Spillman - special teamer
Mike Iupati
David Akers
Patrick Willis

the akers pick is killing me, it must be carry over from last year

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jake Long still the leading AFC tackle vote-getter among fans. Ha. Ha. Ha.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers should be out of there and Andy Lee should be in. He is the best punter in the NFL and it's by a landslide. Any Packer up there aside from Rodgers, is a joke.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/04/pro-bowl-cheat-sheet-the-nfc-4/

I was close to going in the direction of Jerome Felton, but in the end the extra consistency of Miller won my approval.

Tight Ends: Vernon Davis (SF) and Tony Gonzalez (ATL)

Davis is an easy selection. Even though the 49ers aren’t making use of him in the passing game he’s still doing a fantastic job with his blocking. Choosing between legends like Jason Witten and Tony Gonzalez wasn’t easy, and I wouldn’t hold it against anyone going a different route. Ultimately, I can live with the blocking of Gonzalez because of what he does as a receiver, especially in the red zone.

Offensive Tackles: Phil Loadholt (MIN), Joe Staley (SF) and Matt Kalil (MIN)

Joe Staley was an easy decision. He’s the best tackle in the division right now with his run blocking something to behold. The choice of Kalil over Trent Williams was made easier with Williams form dipping as he plays hurt. That’s a shame because before then he was playing some top-level tackle. Loadholt gets the nod at right tackle for his superior run blocking, but anyone opting for Tyson Clabo, Gosder Cherilus or Anthony Davis should go with their gut.

No change here, though I would understand the final guard nominee going to Jahri Evans, Josh Sitton or Rob Sims. Its the run blocking of Iupati that wins me over. He’s a real mauler and I can really appreciate that.

Defensive Tackles: Gerald McCoy (TB), Justin Smith (SF) and Henry Melton (CHI)

McCoy is playing well but not setting the world alight as we was earlier in the year, while Smith has conversely stepped his performance up recently. They were easy picks, and it wasn’t hard to switch my endorsement from Nick Fairley to Henry Melton. The Bear got hot at the right time, but he’ll have to watch out for Ndamukong Suh if the Lion continues his form from the past two weeks.

Inside Linebackers: Daryl Washington (ARZ) and Patrick Willis (SF)

I am quite happy to not have made any alterations here. Willis is the more complete player but the ability of Washington to time his blitzes so well adds another dimension to the Cardinals’ defense.

Outside Linebackers: Clay Matthews (GB), Anthony Spencer (DAL) and Aldon Smith (SF)

Have I lost my mind? Can I really sub out DeMarcus Ware for Anthony Spencer? Sure Ware has more pressure, but he has also had more opportunities to do it. When I consider how exceptional Spencer has been in the run game I can live with it. Matthews could find himself the odd man out if he doesn’t return soon and hit the ground running because, while I don’t think Aldon Smith is DPOY-worthy, he should make the Pro Bowl.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/19/pro-bowl-roster-2012-nfc/

Yet another high-functioning cog in the machine which is the 49ers running game. Miller has not only played more snaps than any other NFC fullback but done so at a high level throughout.

--------------------------

Offensive Tackles: Joe Staley (SF), Tyson Clabo (ATL) and Trent Williams (WAS)

We have rarely seen a season of run blocking as dominant as Joe Staley has displayed this year and though he has allowed eight sacks that accounts for more than two thirds of total pressure meaning he has allowed little else besides. This has been a much improved season for tackle play and Trent Williams has continued his development in Washington excelling in both areas of his game whilst Tyson Clabo has performed well enough to save us from the discussion on whether a right tackle should be forced onto the ballot ahead of more deserving left tackles. Seemingly destined for his fifth straight season grade of +15.0 or better Clabo is arguably the most consistent right tackle of the PFF era.

---------------------------------

It’s all too easy to overlook the season that Evan Mathis has had in Philadelphia with the utter shambles around him as the Eagles lost offensive linemen left and right but you simply cannot fault his effort and production at guard, he simply hasn’t allowed any defensive player to get the better of him this season. He is joined by the pair of San Francisco guards who have led the most physical run blocking unit in the league. No offensive line has more consistently taken opposing defensive lines to pieces than the 49ers and the highest yards per carry average for San Francisco running backs is off left guard (6.1) and right guard (5.7).

----------------------------------------

Defensive Tackles: Gerald McCoy (TB), Justin Smith (SF) and Nick Fairley (DET)

One more quirk of the NFL’s Pro Bowl balloting sees Justin Smith pop up as a defensive tackle even though division rival and fellow 3-4 end Campbell is among the defensive ends. In the AFC J.J. Watt may have taken what Smith did last season and extended it beyond our wildest imagination but this has been yet another strong season for the 49er. His pass rushing hasn’t been as physically overpowering as last year but his work in run defense is still excellent and he doesn’t give opposing offensive linemen a quiet snap. The more conventional 4-3 DT spots are taken by a pair of young players with Gerald McCoy finally on the field and able to show the extraordinary blend of speed and power that had the Buccaneers so excited back in 2010. He has excelled with unnerving consistency against both run and pass irrespective of the players lining up across from him. He is joined by another young player putting a turbulent start to his career behind him. Ndamukong Suh may draw the headlines but Fairley has been magnificent this season putting a slow start behind him with a scintillating run of form from Week 6 onwards. If he could stop jumping offsides he would be up with McCoy challenging for a starting spot rather than seeing off the attentions of Henry Melton whose fine performances in primetime games this season have ensured that he is well known as a defensive tackle to fear in the coming seasons.

--------------------------

Inside Linebackers: Patrick Willis (SF) and NaVorro Bowman (SF)

For the second straight season we have the San Francisco 49ers inside linebackers pairing up on our NFC Pro Bowl squad in a selection that is sure to draw the ire once again of Arizona Cardinal fans with Daryl Washington missing by the slenderest of margins. What more needs to be said about Willis and Bowman? But but for coinciding bad games in the tie with St Louis they have been not far short of flawless once again this year with both players working tremendously against the opposing run defense
. Others aside from Washington who can count themselves unlucky are DeMeco Ryans, thriving in a full-time role in Philadelphia and excelling behind the wide-9 alignment which asks a great deal of inside linebackers physically and athletically and Bobby Wagner who was eased into a three down linebacker role but thrived and has become an excellent downhill players who doesn’t give away more than he should in the passing game.

---------------------------

Outside Linebackers: Aldon Smith (SF), Anthony Spencer (DAL) and Clay Matthews (GB)

The league is starting to run away with talk of Aldon Smith as a defensive player of the year candidate and whilst we don’t think he is worthy of that level of praise he was an easy selection for our Pro Bowl squad. He has evolved almost seamlessly into a full time starting role and is quickly becoming one of the most fearsome and consistent defensive players in the league. But would we really be speaking of him as a defensive player of the year candidate without his game against the completely outmatched J’Marcus Webb? He is joined in a clean sweep for 3-4 outside linebackers by one man band Clay Matthews who marked his return to the Packers’ lineup this weekend with another excellent performance. Our selection of Spencer over teammate DeMarcus Ware will certainly raise some eyebrows but with productivity as a pass rusher now paired with a season of run defense that is almost unmatched we simply couldn’t overlook Spencer.

--------------------------------------

Punter: Andy Lee (SF)

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Having fans vote for linemen is doomed to hilarity. All we have to go on is name recognition - probably no more than 5% have a valid opinion on O-line play that isn't just repeating what we've heard.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, am I reading that right that Witten is bumped for Marty B? Should I be made aware of who is writing that stuff, cause I want whatever they are smoking. He catches almost 10% fewer of the balls thrown at him, has half the actual catches, half the yards. He is winning in TD's. If you want to call me a homer and dismiss Witten, that's fine. Jimmy Graham should be there instead of Marty B in that case.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Having fans vote for linemen is doomed to hilarity. All we have to go on is name recognition - probably no more than 5% have a valid opinion on O-line play that isn't just repeating what we've heard.

I've been saying for as long as I've been posting on 49er boards that the votes of players and coaches is pretty much as ridiculous as having fans vote.

An easy example as to why players and coaches shouldn't be voting can be done with NFC ILBs (the info pozz has above says the top 3 would be Willis, Bowman and Washington).

How much time has anyone in the AFC North spent watching NFC West games this year? Is Lamar Woodley in any sort of position to judge between those 3?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How much time has anyone in the AFC North spent watching NFC West games this year? Is Lamar Woodley in any sort of position to judge between those 3?

Yeah, they're probably the best to ask about players in their own division, but some of the worst to ask when it comes to teams they don't play that season.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope no 49ers make the Pro Bowl (not gonna happen). It's a pointless game that only has risks.