• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

President's Cup

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ugly stepsister of the Ryder Cup came and went as quiet as a mouse.

I did watch bits and pieces of it...the huge lead on day 1 was wiped out on day 2...really had me wondering if a fix was on because it was nip and tuck the rest of the way.

Bottom line the Americans retained the Cup 15.5 to 14.5 and it came down to the final match...go figure, the Captain's son...a Captain pick vs Bae...a S. Korean...Bae badly botched a pitch shot that pretty much sealed the point for Haas and the American team...the next to last paring Kirk vs Lahiri which was also very important, nailed a 16' birdie and Lahiri missing a 4' birdie to halve.

Dominate the Pres Cup but get dominated in Ryder Cup...what gives?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall? The Euros simply have better players, and being galvanized by someone like Seve Ballesteros, they truly play as a 'Team.' Or you can simply look at the last few US teams during the RC. The collapse at Medinah followed by an ass kicking at Gleneagles. You had the Mickelson/Watson feud and Watson's captaincy questioned and now this silly 'task force' that the Americans put together. The USA had a commanding lead in 2012...they certainly didn't lose because they weren't in Azingers 'pod' system, like Mickelson suggested. When the best players play the best, they'll win.

As for the Presidents Cup....the problem was three-fold. As you say, it's ugly stepsister of the Ryder Cup. Secondly, it was played on the other side of the world when most people were asleep. Third...the Americans keep winning. It isn't a competition if it isn't competitive.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall? The Euros simply have better players, and being galvanized by someone like Seve Ballesteros, they truly play as a 'Team.' Or you can simply look at the last few US teams during the RC. The collapse at Medinah followed by an ass kicking at Gleneagles. You had the Mickelson/Watson feud and Watson's captaincy questioned and now this silly 'task force' that the Americans put together. The USA had a commanding lead in 2012...they certainly didn't lose because they weren't in Azingers 'pod' system, like Mickelson suggested. When the best players play the best, they'll win.

As for the Presidents Cup....the problem was three-fold. As you say, it's ugly stepsister of the Ryder Cup. Secondly, it was played on the other side of the world when most people were asleep. Third...the Americans keep winning. It isn't a competition if it isn't competitive.

Your last sentence is really telling.

RC...yep the Euros simply have better players is true, but when you stand them up on their own merit...the Poulters, and Sergios are obviously great players, but they seem to perform better in a team environment...I think the Euros place the RC in a loftier position...starting with the Seve legacy as you pointed out and they will always look at themselves as the underdog because each country represented is tiny compared to the US.

I think it's started to mean more to the American players now that the Euros have dominated it, and now the Euros are a little more loose....coupled with better talent, they are hard to beat.

PC...I thought S. Korea was a great host, but you're right...even though they had some prime time air, it was tough to follow live...I DVRed myself.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a bit of it live, and thought it was a pretty good event overall. Exciting to see a lot of the matches come down to the 18th. I was pulling for the Internationals, but watching Lahiri and Bae throw it away was pretty sad. Day's Presidents Cup was a complete writeoff, whereas Mickelson's play (despite the bonehead move) was an unexpected surprise.

The best thing you can say is while the Ints didn't win, at least it was compelling. It's a start...hopefully.