• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason game 1 thread

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bayer looks really good i have to be honest. I'd like to see him move up the depth chart to see what he has playing against better people

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree jacobarch. He was a stand-out tonight along with E.J. Gaines, Mo Alexander, and Austin Davis until that last snap.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. Coverage and run defense was very very suspect. It's preseason so I'm sure it will get worked out.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tre Mason, Joyner, Sam, Gaines, all looked good. I was pleased with the first game. Like to see how RAMS stop the run next game. That needs to be fixed fast.

Raminator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks all for giving the rest of us a rundown on the game. Was working so didn't get to hear anything about it. Sounds like we had some bright spots and some things to work on. Again thanks.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice first game. Rams should have a nice inventory of RB's this year. Davis looked okay, too. Pre-season and all, but an encouraging sign.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, what was the deal with the grounding call? Everyone knows the intent of that play, even if there was a slight hesitation; I've never seen that call made.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't catch the full game but I sure as hell caught those runs we gave up. Good things it's preseason.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're using the "playing vanilla on purpose" excuse again, which should be true to some extent. However, they never seemed to improve on it much in the past few years. Hopefully this year is different. Most of those runs seemed to be right behind the left guard, so whomever was playing that end and DT were getting man-handled, and the LBs weren't shedding blocks.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints were running to the left and up the middle as Dunbar was playing MLB and Carrington and Conrath were the Dtackles. Donald was in but he did more disrupting than the last two mentioned.

Ramsfan95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstrong's problem was that he was over pursuing a lot of the time and ended up running straight into an offensive linemen. Armstrong is not a big linebacker, he doesn't have the strength to shed a block like that.

His biggest problem is over pursuing and taking bad angles, his block shedding could use some work, but it's not his main problem.

I'm not ready to make a judgment on what his role on the defense should be, I need to see more footage.

Ramsfan95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Thoughts on the Game

Offense

1. Shaun Hill played very well, he is a substantial upgrade over Kellen Clemens.

2. The backup offensive linemen (Person, Barnes, Joseph) were solid at pass protection, but lacked push in the running game. They did enough to get the job done, however.

3. Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham performed well. Tre Mason was just ok.

4. Tight end play as a group was very good. Cook had an excellent 20+ yd reception on a ball that was thrown behind him. Kendricks had a few solid grabs, and Alex Bayer had several impressive plays in both the blocking and passing game.

Defense

1. Aaron Donald was a terror in the pass rush, but needs to work on defending the run. He had one good play where he got in the backfield so fast he disrupted the direction of the run, but he didn't have any run stops himself.

2. Armstrong and Dunbar were horrific in this game. They didn't shed blocks, and Armstrong in particular repetitively took bad angles.

3. E.J. Gaines and Marcus Roberson were solid, but not as good as they are being made out to be. As backups, they appear to be adequate, but are certainly not starting material.

Other Thoughts

1. Maurice Alexander is going to thrive on special teams.

2. Cody Davis is in danger of being cut. R.J. Dill will be cut. Both of them had remarkably bad games.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense

1. Shaun Hill played very well, he is a substantial upgrade over Kellen Clemens.

2. The backup offensive linemen (Person, Barnes, Joseph) were solid at pass protection, but lacked push in the running game. They did enough to get the job done, however.

3. Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham performed well. Tre Mason was just ok.

4. Tight end play as a group was very good. Cook had an excellent 20+ yd reception on a ball that was thrown behind him. Kendricks had a few solid grabs, and Alex Bayer had several impressive plays in both the blocking and passing game.

Defense

1. Aaron Donald was a terror in the pass rush, but needs to work on defending the run. He had one good play where he got in the backfield so fast he disrupted the direction of the run, but he didn't have any run stops himself.

2. Armstrong and Dunbar were horrific in this game. They didn't shed blocks, and Armstrong in particular repetitively took bad angles.

3. E.J. Gaines and Marcus Roberson were solid, but not as good as they are being made out to be. As backups, they appear to be adequate, but are certainly not starting material.

Other Thoughts

1. Maurice Alexander is going to thrive on special teams.

2. Cody Davis is in danger of being cut. R.J. Dill will be cut. Both of them had remarkably bad games.

I really thought Gaines played very well. :suds:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the weakness will be the LB unit, as we have no dept outside of Ogletree and Lil animal. The backups are just above horrible at best; the FO need to start signing decent FA's as backups an drafting better instead of relying on UDFA and practice squad scrubs to step up to the plate.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Ramsfan95 on your overall assessment and especially on R.J. Dill and Cody Davis. Both are not going to survive much longer. I also agree Jermaine that our next area of need is going to be LB as they did not address that in this year's draft. How many LBs did we by-pass to take yet another secondary player? It shows.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First preseason game, we will see how things proceed. All in all, I like most of what I saw with limited time by some players. Lil Animal not in at MLB shows a huge weakness. Dumbar can't play there. This weeks game against Packers should tell us more.:nod:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the weakness will be the LB unit, as we have no dept outside of Ogletree and Lil animal. The backups are just above horrible at best; the FO need to start signing decent FA's as backups an drafting better instead of relying on UDFA and practice squad scrubs to step up to the plate.

Remember tho it's just one preseason game. I noticed that the DLine was just trying to kill the QB. No attention was made to the run. We were also playing all 2nd stringers in the middle of our Oline and Donald will take time to adjust. I think we'll be ok.