• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pregame Chat: Arizona State at UTSA | Friday, Sept 16

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main-Banner.png

NCAA_Arizona_State_Sun_Devils_200x200_trans.png
YFhnH.png
UTSA_logo_w_border.png~c200

Friday, September 16th, 2016
This should be an easy way for us to get to 3-0 on the season. UTSA is coming off of a lost against Colorado State, so again, this shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping for a complete slaughter, where our starters can rest the second half of the game and get ready for Cal the following week.

Just as importantly, I want to see a massive improvement in tackling and secondary coverage. Too many times against TT did we miss tackles and left over WR's wide open. UTSA should be easy to cover and hopefully Graham is letting the defense have it, and light a fire under all of their asses.

Sun Devils nation got a great glimpse of just how dangerous we can be, and if we can learn to play competitive defense, we are definitely going to make a run for the Pac-12 Championship Game.

Alas, one game at a time. This week needs to be about making improvements, and having an extra day's rest for California.

Forks Up @FORKWDEVIL and @DweeberAZ !

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news from today -

So as we all know, Wilkins hurdled another defender on Saturday. That makes 3 this year. If you're Graham, do you tell him to stop?

Personally, I think it's part of who he is. Having noticed that there are times with Wilkins puts the ball down to run, and when he realizes there is no where to go, and then throws it away, I think he's learning what's the best solution to moving the offense, and so I say hurdle away.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not take these guys lite. They have given UOFA a run the past few years.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Wilkins token move is the "hurdler" "high hurdler" We need to give him a nickname.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Wilkins token move is the "hurdler" "high hurdler" We need to give him a nickname.

I figured after he did it twice against NAU, that Graham would have set him aside and told him the dangers of doing that. But doing again against TT, I'm not so certain that Graham is putting any handcuffs on the kid.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I figured after he did it twice against NAU, that Graham would have set him aside and told him the dangers of doing that. But doing again against TT, I'm not so certain that Graham is putting any handcuffs on the kid.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you need to know about UTSA -

---------------------------
The University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners and the Arizona State Sun Devils have never met on a football field. They will be doing so for the first time on ESPN2 this Friday night at 6:30 p.m. MT. The Roadrunners have already beaten a team called ASU this season, as they topped Alabama State of the FCS.

UTSA joined the FBS in 2012 and began the football program in 2011. Being in Conference USA, the Roadrunners have yet to win a game against a Power Five conference opponent. They are coming off a 3-9 season in 2015 and are currently at the .500 mark (1-1) this season.

Here’s what you need to know about the Roadrunners:

Head Coach-Frank Wilson

Wilson is in his first season with UTSA. He replaced the great Larry Coker who coached in San Antonio from 2011-2015 and helped the Roadrunners become an established football team, along with two winning seasons. Wilson has experience coaching in some big time football programs in the SEC.

Wilson played football at Nicholls State from 1994-1996 and then got on the coaching staff the same year he finished his playing. In 2005 he began coaching in the SEC. He was the running back coach at Ole Miss from 2005-2007, coached the running back position and was the recruiting coordinator at Southern Miss for a year in 2008 and then found himself as the wide receiver coach in 2009 for Tennessee.

Before coming to UTSA, Wilson finished up coaching his longest stunt with LSU from 2010-2015 where he was the running back coach, recruiting coordinator, and associate head coach.

Coming from a conference of so many prized recruiting classes, Wilson will try to mimic that in San Antonio. While in his tenure at LSU, he won Rivals.com National Recruiter of Year in 2011, NFL.com Top Recruiter in College Football in 2014 and Scout.com SEC Recruiter of the Year in 2015.

How have they done so far?

UTSA is 1-1 with a win against an FCS team in Alabama State (26-13) and a road loss to Colorado State in week two (23-14). The Roadrunners had -1 yards rushing against Colorado State and though they beat Alabama State, UTSA fumbled the ball three times in that game.

Defensively, UTSA does well against the pass as it has only given up 250 yards all season, but the rush defense is not producing. The Roadrunners have allowed 365 yards on the ground including 220 yards last week against CSU.

Key Players

QB Dalton Sturm

Strum already has a year of experience as the starting quarterback at UTSA and has had two solid performances this season. His 450 yards in the air along with four TD’s and two interceptions speak for themselves.

The Roadrunners run an offense that primarily operates in the air. Just like Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech and Case Cookus of NAU, he will be utilized all game against the Sun Devils.

LB Josiah Tauaefa

As a redshirt freshman, Tauefa is young, but he can move fast and with power. He’s 6’1” 230 pounds and used to be a nightmare for defenses as a running back in high school.

Now, on the opposite side of the ball, he’s been involved in 22 tackles, has nine alone and has recorded two sacks for a combined loss of 14 yards in just two games.

RB Jalen Rhodes

Though the running game was ineffective against CSU, the junior running back has still managed 117 yards and a touchdown this season and is waiting to erupt offensively. Rhodes is also used as a receiver as he’s caught five balls for 54 yards. He can block, run and catch for the Roadrunners and will definitely be an impact player in this game.

WR JaBryce Taylor

The junior wide out led UTSA WR’s last season with 541 yards on 52 catches with four touchdowns. With 82 yards and two touchdowns already this year he is poised for another solid season.

ASU Football: First Look at UTSA

---------------------------
I do like that since we struggle with passing defense, that we are playing 3 teams right out of the gate that specialize in throwing the ball. Hopefully we can look like more a unit on defense against the pass, and not give up blown coverage every series.

From reading about it, I imagine Graham is going to continue with the same offensive tactics as we had against UTSA. Run up the middle, and a lot of bootlegs/play action passes. I would love to see us run early and often to wear them down. I want Richard and Ballage both with 10-15 carries each in the first half. They already aren't good at stopping the run, so if we can keep the ball moving, on the ground, then they will wear out and then it'll become a game where we shouldn't even need to punt.

We know Chip likes to throw the ball, so I wouldn't be shocked with seeing Harry have a few chances for some deep routes, and hopefully he'll be able to really have a breakout game against the RoadRunners.

Overall, I just want to see us really be efficient on both sides of the ball. I want to us to dominate an opponent that is inferior to us. I want to see better coverage and communication among our secondary and LBs.

My prediction is: ASU 42 - UTSA 17

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished listening to the podcast, and reading some reports on UTSA, and I'm thinking that I hope we keep them less than 10 points. Our defense needs to take care of this bad football team.

I need a 42-6, please and thank you.

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my name is David from san antonio. looking forward to tonights game.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is hard to watch

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was definitely a game I'll look forward to forgetting. Just happy we didn't actually lose it...