• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pre-Season Saturday

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Maiocco

LaMichael James (left ankle) says he is not going to miss any practices. Hard to believe, but he should be back soon.

From Brandon Jacobs:

"Big ups to Kareem Jackson from the Texans he is a classy guy, he came to the the X-ray room to wish me a speedy recovery."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Maiocco

Quote:
"LaMichael James (left ankle) says he is not going to miss any practices. Hard to believe, but he should be back soon."

Quote:
From Brandon Jacobs:

"Big ups to Kareem Jackson from the Texans he is a classy guy, he came to the the X-ray room to wish me a speedy recovery."

Sounds like lady luck is still wearing the red & gold! Very Classy for Jackson!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, missed the game. Won't be be able to catch the replay on NFL Network due to timing...

gimme the deets!!!!

the good, bad.... go!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, missed the game. Won't be be able to catch the replay on NFL Network due to timing...

gimme the deets!!!!

the good, bad.... go!

The quarterbacks didn't look that great - Alex missed a potential TD with Moss, was pressured nearly every down, had one good throw to Ginn for 24 yards rolling right. We're pressured every game, but it was noticeable not only because how often he was hit and how quick (and short) his throws were, but also in contrast to Schaub's protection. He could pitch a tent. Kaep was late and should have been INT'd once or twice, but Moss did drop one big play and some completions were negated by penalty - at least one on a bad call. Refs were bad, as usual. We need the real ones back.

I trust you already know about Jacobs and James, so that's bad too but possibly not as bad as it could be.

Jenkins and Moss got good separation, but Johnson only hit Jenkins for one (big) completion and Moss dropped a potential 26 yarder that would have either scored or went out on the one yard line.

The second team defense did poorly as far as I read (to our standards) and the first team didn't do that great.

Overall, a game where it seemed we were vanilla and didn't game plan much - or we game planned for a vanilla defense, when Houston actually game planned. It seemed like we figured out what we wanted to run (vanilla still, though presumably less vanilla than last game) and didn't deviate from that because we wanted to see something. Still confident that when it's real, we'll be much better.

I'm sure you'll get a deeper, more detailed account from someone else - just starting off because I don't know how empty this board will be today (seemed light for the past few days).

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Maiocco

From Brandon Jacobs:

Not the first time LaMichael James does this. It looked like he was going to miss extended time last season in college on what looked like a brutal injury and he ended up not missing anything at all.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our secondary got torched! I saw in the Viking game how passive they played and against a decent Qb they did it again. They look like they did under Singletary just waiting for the receiver to catch the ball and then tackling him instead of being the aggressive, ballhawking secondary they were last year. This will be the weakness of the team this year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Our secondary got torched! I saw in the Viking game how passive they played and against a decent Qb they did it again. They look like they did under Singletary just waiting for the receiver to catch the ball and then tackling him instead of being the aggressive, ballhawking secondary they were last year. This will be the weakness of the team this year.

I wouldn't worry too much about it because last preseason the Texans punked us harder last preseason than they did this preseason.

It's just obvious Harbaugh has no interest in the preseason and we're never going to win the preseason Super Bowl.

So as badly as I want to microanalyze these preseason games it's just ultimately pointless. I mean we were far worse last preseason and we went 13-3 when everyone was thinking about how we would be bad enough to get Andrew Luck.

Harbaugh it just keeping everything as vanilla as possible and just trying to get the preseason games over with.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry too much about it because last preseason the Texans punked us harder last preseason than they did this preseason.

It's just obvious Harbaugh has no interest in the preseason and we're never going to win the preseason Super Bowl.

So as badly as I want to microanalyze these preseason games it's just ultimately pointless. I mean we were far worse last preseason and we went 13-3 when everyone was thinking about how we would be bad enough to get Andrew Luck.

Harbaugh it just keeping everything as vanilla as possible and just trying to get the preseason games over with.

At least Moss got some work in yesterday. I'd like to see Manningham get in the game. He'll need a little game time work with Smith to get their timing down. Jenkins mada nice catch but punked out on a couple of others. And hopefully James and jacobs will be OK.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No Aldon Smith and no Ahmad Brooks = NO pressure. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention because I was actually at a family event while watching the game, but it sure as heck looks as if Haralson has regressed quite a bit over the past couple of seasons. Schaub had all day to throw and it showed with our secondary getting beat on some plays. I noticed our DB's weren't jamming their receivers on the line but Culliver looked out of position a few times.

The one noticeable play about the lack of ballhawking skills was when Brock was in position to pick off a pass but the receiver went in the air and fought for it. I really hope our DB's are healthy and Cox can step in and fill that 3rd/4th CB role because I can not stand Brock playing back there. Even if he had a bloodhound's nose, he still wouldn't be able to sniff out plays in man to man.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Aldon Smith and no Ahmad Brooks = NO pressure. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention because I was actually at a family event while watching the game, but it sure as heck looks as if Haralson has regressed quite a bit over the past couple of seasons. Schaub had all day to throw and it showed with our secondary getting beat on some plays. I noticed our DB's weren't jamming their receivers on the line but Culliver looked out of position a few times.

The one noticeable play about the lack of ballhawking skills was when Brock was in position to pick off a pass but the receiver went in the air and fought for it. I really hope our DB's are healthy and Cox can step in and fill that 3rd/4th CB role because I can not stand Brock playing back there. Even if he had a bloodhound's nose, he still wouldn't be able to sniff out plays in man to man.

Is Smith seriously hurt? I saw the play he got hurt on and it looked like nothing; just falling on his butt. You are correct that the pass rush plays a big part on how well the secondary plays but the passivity with which the secondary played was what concerned me; especially number 26. He was real passive and looked scared. Our O line is going to be a problem again as well. I think A. Smith is going to be pretty confident this year if the O line holds up and I expect a very solid year from him.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Smith seriously hurt? I saw the play he got hurt on and it looked like nothing; just falling on his butt. You are correct that the pass rush plays a big part on how well the secondary plays but the passivity with which the secondary played was what concerned me; especially number 26. He was real passive and looked scared. Our O line is going to be a problem again as well. I think A. Smith is going to be pretty confident this year if the O line holds up and I expect a very solid year from him.

No. 26 is Tremaine Brock, the cat that I was just referring to. Yep, he doesn't cut it as far as DB's are concerned which is what makes the Cox signing even that more important. Tarrell Brown was injured in last year's NFC Championship game and Brock was exploited.

Aldon Smith sustained a bruised right hip. If you look at the video of his injury, he actually fell awkwardly into the turf. He's probably not playing til the regular season:

Aldon Smith Injury: 49ers LB Will Miss Some Time - SBNation.com

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one more pre-season game, and then its cut down to 80.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
regarding Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson, what a difference another game makes? granted it was pre-season again.

don't favor any QB myself, but just saying..............

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson, what a difference another game makes? granted it was pre-season again.

don't favor any QB myself, but just saying..............

Our entire passing game looked like shit last night - from protection to incompletion. Houston just flat out-intensified us. We were playing a pre-season game and it seemed they were playing their season opener. Not an excuse, just an observation.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the first time LaMichael James does this. It looked like he was going to miss extended time last season in college on what looked like a brutal injury and he ended up not missing anything at all.

I'm glad he's backed it up before. It didn't look good when he was being carted off the field.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our entire passing game looked like shit last night - from protection to incompletion. Houston just flat out-intensified us. We were playing a pre-season game and it seemed they were playing their season opener. Not an excuse, just an observation.

The Texans did leave their starters in a little longer than we did.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Disappointed the Texans didn't give DeVier Posey a chance. I believe that's 0 targets in two weeks. I know they really like Lestar Jean and KeShawn Martin, but it can't be that difficult to get Posey into the fold.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 26 is Tremaine Brock, the cat that I was just referring to. Yep, he doesn't cut it as far as DB's are concerned which is what makes the Cox signing even that more important. Tarrell Brown was injured in last year's NFC Championship game and Brock was exploited.

Aldon Smith sustained a bruised right hip. If you look at the video of his injury, he actually fell awkwardly into the turf. He's probably not playing til the regular season:

Aldon Smith Injury: 49ers LB Will Miss Some Time - SBNation.com

That's right; I rememeber. Brock's timid play cost the 49ers the NFC Championship game last year when he gave up the big TD pass. He's terrible but I agree with you, I like Cox. He's a good player who got in trouble one too many times in Denver. A fresh start here could be just what he needs.

I hope Smith comes back soon, he's a much better pass rusher than I thought he'd be. I hated the pick when they made it but he turned out to be pretty darn good.