• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prater

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we give this guy some love? For all the shit that was given to the kicking game before he came along this year, some focus needs to be given to Matt Prater.

It seemed all was lost with our kicking game and Denver released him after their replacement was doing well and being paid much less. He goes 3-3 today and kicks the 48-yd game winner. What a huge kick and a huge help with our victory.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did shank the first one.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but after watching todays game it is not Prater. It might not have been Freese either. We don't have a kicker problem, we have a holder problem. One of you mentioned whether it could be the holder and after watching closely today, Martins holds left a lot to be desired.

Also, if you remember the problem with kickers actually started last year which is when Martin took over as Holder.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but after watching todays game it is not Prater. It might not have been Freese either. We don't have a kicker problem, we have a holder problem. One of you mentioned whether it could be the holder and after watching closely today, Martins holds left a lot to be desired.

Also, if you remember the problem with kickers actually started last year which is when Martin took over as Holder.
I'm pretty sure Caldwell said the holding wasn't the problem.

The first shank was a bad snap and hold, so it doesn't count imo.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am worried about the 2 bad snaps and holds on that final sequence.

Prater has said after the game that the spot the first attempt came from was all tore up and he was happy he had to move back. Doesn't explain some of the other kicks this season but on that kick the turf could have been part of the issue.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am worried about the 2 bad snaps and holds on that final sequence.

Laces out!

Those were some ugly snap/holds.

I have always wondered why not use the fastest guy on the team to do the holding? It would keep the defense on their toes about a fake, and if the play got screwed up then you don't have the two worst athletes on the team handling the ball.

I'm sure the act of catching spotting and spinning the ball is a skill but I bet a number of people could do it with a lot of practice.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laces out!

Those were some ugly snap/holds.

I have always wondered why not use the fastest guy on the team to do the holding? It would keep the defense on their toes about a fake, and if the play got screwed up then you don't have the two worst athletes on the team handling the ball.

I'm sure the act of catching spotting and spinning the ball is a skill but I bet a number of people could do it with a lot of practice.

Punters catch snaps for a living. And aren't injury risks.

That's all Ive got for why it is that it's such a common practice. Backup QBs, starting QBs, wide outs and sure handed RBs all seem like they'd bring more in the event of a botched snap.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure wish we still had him in Denver. Dude is clutch and has won countless games for the Broncos. If we didn't have both D. Thomas and J. Thomas to sign plus many on defense, I have no doubt he'd had retired a Bronco. Great pick up for Detroit.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punters catch snaps for a living. And aren't injury risks.

That's all Ive got for why it is that it's such a common practice. Backup QBs, starting QBs, wide outs and sure handed RBs all seem like they'd bring more in the event of a botched snap.

Back in the day it was pretty common for the backup QB to be the holder.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 43 harder he shanked was a horrible snap and bad hold.

The 48 harder he made wasn't much better.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On all kicks that counted, he was 3 for 3. Call me a homer, but I think the Lions have a better kicker than they did last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day it was pretty common for the backup QB to be the holder.

Starters too. (Joey Ballgame was a holder wasn't he?)

I wonder if practice time also factors into the the decision to go with a punter. QBs have other things to do. Longsnappers, kickers and punters are somewhat on there own.