• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Practice squads - Netter, Palmer, Thomas, Wiggins, Wilhoite; Person claimed by Colts

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My understanding is that you cannot put a player directly to your own practice squad. I.e. he can't go from your active roster to the PS until clearing waivers. If so, why can another team just put them on the PS from waivers? If the argument is we should have kept them on the active, I feel that other teams should have to put them on the active roster to claim them. Like last year when we took Tolzien.

If you cut a player with PS eligibility, he must go through waivers before signing to any PS. If a team claims him he must be added to the 53 man roster.

However, if he clears waivers the original team that cut him has no rights to him anymore. He can sign with any PS he wants. To illustrate with Owusu.

1. 49ers waived him (possibly) hoping to PS him.
2. No teams put in a waiver claim - Owusu becomes a FA.
3. Owusu chose to sign with SD PS rather than SF (assuming SF made an offer).

Players on PS can be signed at any time by any team, but must be added to the 53 man roster (this is how we lost Kory Sheets a few years back, who everyone loved).

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we added Johnson, it scares me a bit about the situation with Aldon in the preseason, being that thin at OLB

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cut a player with PS eligibility, he must go through waivers before signing to any PS. If a team claims him he must be added to the 53 man roster.

However, if he clears waivers the original team that cut him has no rights to him anymore. He can sign with any PS he wants. To illustrate with Owusu.

1. 49ers waived him (possibly) hoping to PS him.
2. No teams put in a waiver claim - Owusu becomes a FA.
3. Owusu chose to sign with SD PS rather than SF (assuming SF made an offer).

Players on PS can be signed at any time by any team, but must be added to the 53 man roster (this is how we lost Kory Sheets a few years back, who everyone loved).

Thanks, as well, Imac.

My confusion came from the wording in the articles stating "claimed off waivers and placed on PS." I think it was poor phrasing by the writers.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the trenches are important, but with all the OL and DL we got on the active roster, I still can't believe we have 2 of each on the PS.