• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Practice squads - Netter, Palmer, Thomas, Wiggins, Wilhoite; Person claimed by Colts

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Palmer, Thomas among those on 49ers practice squad

Person was claimed off of waivers by the Colts, his agent said. In addition, tight end Konrad Reuland was claimed off of waivers and placed on the Jets' 53-man squad, his agent said. Receiver Chris Owusu was signed to the Chargers practice squad.

If I have time I'll try to include other teams' signings but for right now I can't. I'm not a big fan of TJE on the practice squad if official. I never understood that signing. I'll be so disappointed if Cam didn't make it but I fear he'll get picked up by someone.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colts claim Person off waivers

The 49ers tried to trade Person on Friday for a seventh-round draft pick, a source said. Failing to find a trade partner, the 49ers eventually placed Person on waivers.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts claim Person off waivers

The 49ers tried to trade Person on Friday for a seventh-round draft pick, a source said. Failing to find a trade partner, the 49ers eventually placed Person on waivers.

Glad they tried, but not too worries about not getting another 7th. I heard we have 15 picks for next year. Always nice to have ammo, but I'm sure they'll be trying to trade a good number of those picks as it is.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: so..other teams can claim our players but put them on the PS, they don't have to put them on the active roster? Does that mean we didn't try to PS them or we have to wait on waivers to do so. Doesn't seem fair that other teams could take them for the PS if we wanted them, too.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: so..other teams can claim our players but put them on the PS, they don't have to put them on the active roster? Does that mean we didn't try to PS them or we have to wait on waivers to do so. Doesn't seem fair that other teams could take them for the PS if we wanted them, too.

That's what makes deciding your active roster so important. If you let them go and they are decent, you have to assume they are gone. If you could just pic them up for the practice squad, no one would give a shit about cuts. It really makes the GM come to tough conclusions and is interesting, even if not necessarily fair.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glad they tried, but not too worries about not getting another 7th. I heard we have 15 picks for next year. Always nice to have ammo, but I'm sure they'll be trying to trade a good number of those picks as it is.

It would probably be for a future 7th rounder like the Colin Jones trade. Doesn't amount to much but better than nothing. Would likely give us a future STer or practice squader in whatever year. It's surprising to me that the Panthers coughed something up for Jones (and cut R. Smith!), and we couldn't get anything for Person - so it's all about immediate need.

On a side note I would also really like to grab Reggie Smith back at this point. He would have started for us last year if Goldson wasn't re-signed.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think players are free to sign to any PS once they are cut. I remember when we "temporarily" cut an OLB PS player during the season and he elected to go to Denver's PS instead of returning to ours. Most of the time players will want to stick around on the team they know, but I think it's up to them to evaluate and decide which place gives them the best option.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what makes deciding your active roster so important. If you let them go and they are decent, you have to assume they are gone. If you could just pic them up for the practice squad, no one would give a shit about cuts. It really makes the GM come to tough conclusions and is interesting, even if not necessarily fair.

Not true, IMO. If other teams have to put them on the 53 to snag them, that makes sense.

I think players are free to sign to any PS once they are cut. I remember when we "temporarily" cut an OLB PS player during the season and he elected to go to Denver's PS instead of returning to ours. Most of the time players will want to stick around on the team they know, but I think it's up to them to evaluate and decide which place gives them the best option.

Only makes sense to me if no team has to wait for waivers to clear for a PS spot (including the team that cut the player).

retech

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Palmer, Thomas among those on 49ers practice squad

Person was claimed off of waivers by the Colts, his agent said. In addition, tight end Konrad Reuland was claimed off of waivers and placed on the Jets' 53-man squad, his agent said. Receiver Chris Owusu was signed to the Chargers practice squad.

If I have time I'll try to include other teams' signings but for right now I can't. I'm not a big fan of TJE on the practice squad if official. I never understood that signing. I'll be so disappointed if Cam didn't make it but I fear he'll get picked up by someone.

Agreed re: TJE. Didn't show much in pre-season, IMHO.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note I would also really like to grab Reggie Smith back at this point. He would have started for us last year if Goldson wasn't re-signed.

Agreed, assuming he would take McBath's spot.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not true, IMO. If other teams have to put them on the 53 to snag them, that makes sense.

Only makes sense to me if no team has to wait for waivers to clear for a PS spot (including the team that cut the player).

I'm really confused what you're saying here. It is set up right now favorably for the players. The waiver period is set up so teams can sign any cut player to their active 53 if they want them. Once that waiver period is over, any team can sign anyone. If you cut a player loose, why should you get the first stab at them? Especially when another team could offer a higher PS contract?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cut a player loose, why should you get the first stab at them? Especially when another team could offer a higher PS contract?

My understanding is that you cannot put a player directly to your own practice squad. I.e. he can't go from your active roster to the PS until clearing waivers. If so, why can another team just put them on the PS from waivers? If the argument is we should have kept them on the active, I feel that other teams should have to put them on the active roster to claim them. Like last year when we took Tolzien.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once that waiver period is over, any team can sign anyone. If you cut a player loose, why should you get the first stab at them? Especially when another team could offer a higher PS contract?

That's my question. We lost players to other PS's, like Owusu. Does that mean we didn't try to sign them to our PS at all?

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My understanding is that you cannot put a player directly to your own practice squad. I.e. he can't go from your active roster to the PS until clearing waivers. If so, why can another team just put them on the PS from waivers? If the argument is we should have kept them on the active, I feel that other teams should have to put them on the active roster to claim them. Like last year when we took Tolzien.

I just looked it up and it is correct. The players must clear the 24 hour waiver prior to being signed to the PS. At that point the are free agents. So it's either the player decided to go to another team's PS based on an offer, or the original team didn't offer a PS contract.

I like the way that it is set up because if you don't keep a player on your active roster and he clears the waiver, he should be allowed to go anywhere at that point because he's a free agent. So if a team really wants him on their practice squad, they can offer a higher contract. The player can also choose the path of least resistance and best fit. An example would be an OLB choosing between the 49ers and a team that is stacked with players at that position.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked it up and it is correct. The players must clear the 24 hour waiver prior to being signed to the PS. At that point the are free agents. So it's either the player decided to go to another team's PS based on an offer, or the original team didn't offer a PS contract.

I like the way that it is set up because if you don't keep a player on your active roster and he clears the waiver, he should be allowed to go anywhere at that point because he's a free agent. So if a team really wants him on their practice squad, they can offer a higher contract. The player can also choose the path of least resistance and best fit. An example would be an OLB choosing between the 49ers and a team that is stacked with players at that position.

Thanks, that clears it up. I agree, the player should get the choice once he clears waivers but the original team should have the option to try to sign them like everyone else.

My confusion came from the wording in the articles stating "claimed off waivers and placed on PS."

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners still have some open PS spot... Any idea if that's so we have a buffer until an injured player comes back? Or were those really spots for Reuland, Person, Owusu, etc?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
owusu musta been ticked he didn't get a shot on kick returns