• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential HC candidates

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article about the potential head coaching candidates. Nice change from all the Harbaugh stories. I am no longer reading the stories speculating where Harbaugh is going to end up. He isn't going to be here,so it doesn't matter to me where he ends up.

10 best potential 49ers replacements for Jim Harbaugh | NFL | Sporting News
I'm for promoting Fangio and finding a good OC and staff. I feel the 9ers need to keep the defense the way it is. If not for the injuries ,etc. this D would have been in the top two of the NFL.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for promoting Fangio and finding a good OC and staff. I feel the 9ers need to keep the defense the way it is. If not for the injuries ,etc. this D would have been in the top two of the NFL.

I am cool with that too. Even Bruce Arians endorses Fangio

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've read Mike Holmgren is interested in being the 49ers HC. Purely coaching role would be fine with him.

Would Holmgren as head coach and focusing on the offense, while at the same time preserving Fangio and Tomsula and the defensive staff work? Maybe if he gave Fangio and the defensive staff lots of space and freedom and just focused on fixing the offense?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
new HC's always bring in their own coordinators, that's the way it should be. HC's need to work with people they know, can trust, and is on board with him being HC. When the HC makes final decisions, Coordinators have to abide by it.

So while it is easy for fans to say keep Fangio, just don't see it? Not disagreeing with the idea since Fangio has proven his ability, but don't see it happening?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Fangio. Let him bring in a Top OC guy. No way Fangio goes back to college.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets do something crazy and sign Rex Ryan. LOL

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read Mike Holmgren is interested in being the 49ers HC. Purely coaching role would be fine with him.

Would Holmgren as head coach and focusing on the offense, while at the same time preserving Fangio and Tomsula and the defensive staff work? Maybe if he gave Fangio and the defensive staff lots of space and freedom and just focused on fixing the offense?

That would be the ideal situation. I would like Mike Shanahan also.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new HC's always bring in their own coordinators, that's the way it should be. HC's need to work with people they know, can trust, and is on board with him being HC. When the HC makes final decisions, Coordinators have to abide by it.

So while it is easy for fans to say keep Fangio, just don't see it? Not disagreeing with the idea since Fangio has proven his ability, but don't see it happening?

I think what you are saying here is the new coach is going to want to ho hire his own coordinators and therefore will dump Fangio? Yes, it is true that new HCs often want their own people and will make replacements. That is especially true on the side of the ball where the HC has expertise. At the same, new head coaches sometimes will leave holdovers in place if that part of the team is very successful like the 49ers D has. Holmgren is an offensive coach and may not want to try and fix what is not broken on D.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fangio, but do defensive HCs have success in this league? There are certainly busts on both sides, but I think offensive HCs with kick-ass DCs have the better track-record.

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Fangio and a lot of the defensive staff would stick around, much like Dick Lebeau did after Mike Tomlin was hired even though Lebeau was thought to be the heir apparent after Cowher. I don't see much departures on the defensive side unless let go or they're offered a higher position on other squads. I think Fangio will be tapped as a HC candidate this offseason, even if not by us.

I would prefer a Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan, as they would be able to make a proper assessment on whether we should continue or move on from Kaepernick. The direction should be, will he fit the offensive scheme I want to execute? Tailoring the offensive scheme to Kaepernick's current ability and capacity would require a rebuild as our currently personnel doesn't fit that mold. Please York's and Ballke's desire for a younger HC prospect sounds like they want someone who will play the role underling role, so they can hold more clout regarding their very questionable decisions.

Also, I'm just not a fan of bringing in a guy like McDaniels (see Denver tenure debacle), Gase (it's easy to look good when Manning is really running the offense), or anyone defensive. Maybe Kyle Shanahan since he looks like he's able to muster a satisfactory offense from a guy like Hoyer, imagine if you gave him solid starter quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fangio and a lot of the defensive staff would stick around, much like Dick Lebeau did after Mike Tomlin was hired even though Lebeau was thought to be the heir apparent after Cowher. I don't see much departures on the defensive side unless let go or they're offered a higher position on other squads. I think Fangio will be tapped as a HC candidate this offseason, even if not by us.

I would prefer a Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan, as they would be able to make a proper assessment on whether we should continue or move on from Kaepernick. The direction should be, will he fit the offensive scheme I want to execute? Tailoring the offensive scheme to Kaepernick's current ability and capacity would require a rebuild as our currently personnel doesn't fit that mold. Please York's and Ballke's desire for a younger HC prospect sounds like they want someone who will play the role underling role, so they can hold more clout regarding their very questionable decisions.

Also, I'm just not a fan of bringing in a guy like McDaniels (see Denver tenure debacle), Gase (it's easy to look good when Manning is really running the offense), or anyone defensive. Maybe Kyle Shanahan since he looks like he's able to muster a satisfactory offense from a guy like Hoyer, imagine if you gave him solid starter quality.

Looks like u are new here. Welcome to Niners SportsHoopla!

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the ideal situation. I would like Mike Shanahan also.

Couldn't agree more! Was actually gonna say this! Couple of my thoughts on this situation:

1. CANNOT afford to bring in a first time head coach. As unpopular as this sounds, I don't want Fangio or Tomsula. I'd rather have an offensive guy come and Rex Ryan as the DC. Some guys just aren't meant to be HC's in the NFL. I think the situation as far as OC/DC would have to be ideal for Fangio to be the HC. IMO

2. I think we need an offensive guy to be our HC. However, I do like what the Vikings did with Zimmer and hiring Norv to be their OC. For the record, I'm a HUGE Zimmer fan!

We need to get this right, the first time. PLUS, I'm still on bringing Sam Bradford in. I'm tired of giving Kaepernick "1 more year."

Of course, this is just my :2cents:

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great post! Agree 100%

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like u are new here. Welcome to Niners SportsHoopla!

I originally came around the great escape of the ESPN forums, but mainly was a reader. My work and life schedule stabilizing has finally permitted my return. hahaha.

But thank you for the warm welcome :suds:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally came around the great escape of the ESPN forums, but mainly was a reader. My work and life schedule stabilizing has finally permitted my return. hahaha.

But thank you for the warm welcome :suds:

LOL. I saw your post count. I remember the shitfest over at ESPN. Hope you can keep posting. The more the merrier

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think what you are saying here is the new coach is going to want to ho hire his own coordinators and therefore will dump Fangio? Yes, it is true that new HCs often want their own people and will make replacements. That is especially true on the side of the ball where the HC has expertise. At the same, new head coaches sometimes will leave holdovers in place if that part of the team is very successful like the 49ers D has. Holmgren is an offensive coach and may not want to try and fix what is not broken on D.

Yes, if the new head coach retains Fangio, no problem here. But if I had to bet on it, we'll have a new HC, OC, and DC. Again, not the way I want it to be, but that's the way it works.

Did see on TV Harbaugh called potential coaches for Michigan (supposedly)? This does imply his current Assistants aren't all going with him?

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Niners ditched Mooch I said then that I wasn't for getting rid of him but that it wasn't unreasonable, but I also said if they did Ditch Mooch they needed to get a really good coach and as we found out Jed's dad (though the team president) did a terrible job of choosing a coach.

I would rather keep Harbs but get a better OC...;. but since that's not happening they better get a very good coach and OC. Fangio with a new upcoming bright OC might be the way to go but we can only hope they get it right.

P.S. not a Kaep fan although I think he still has room to get better and they will go with him for next year. My preference would be to keep drafting QBs lower in the draft hoping to hit it in the second round or later.

P.S. My observation is running QBs almost never become complete QBs because with their es-capability in their back of their mind staying pocket it is harder for them and makes it more difficult to stay patient and learn to be a pocket QB and learn the reads and see the field as well, it's not because they can't, but lurking in the back of the mind is that they can make the difference by themselves and not worry about being second guessed on their passing choices, which leads them to making the offense about themselves and not about the team....... this is a generalization and can't be used for specific players but as a guide to how I see it.