• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Draft Tidbits

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft started with a Mississippi player and ended with a Mississippi player

This year ran very smooth. Finished in less then two weeks I believe the fastest draft as we usually finished a day or two shy of two weeks in recent years.

Who are players you really wanted but missed out on? Realically, don't list 12 picks that went in the top 2 rounds in other words. Player you targeted and felt you might get but missed out on?

The first two for me that come to mind are two that JB took.

Shannon Brooks- After I took Keith Fords who I really wanted I thought hey if Shannon Brooks is still there on the return I have him rated very high, even though RB wasn't a target I really wanted Brooks on the bounce back and felt I just might have a chance. Scouting him late in they year he just looked like a special talent to me with the way he ran... JB scooped him up.

Melquise Stovall- I had actually initially intended to take him with my set of picks. I had Cain, Seals-Jones and Stovall, but at the last second I started to wonder if he was a big play exiting player or a real fantasy stud so he went from my first of the three to my 3rd and then I ended up missing out on him when I felt maybe he was the easiest to sneak back to my set of picks. I was wrong.

Mixed on this one, but Zan Gonzalez, that's right I had sorta targeted a kicker, but at the same time after having him two years in a row I sorta wanted a change at that position. I was set to take him and thought ahhhh lets go another route, so did so with RJ Shelton who I felt had a chance to be MSU #1 WR this year... Part of me felt like maybe it was a way to finally have to change it up with a new kicker but as it got closer I started to feel that want for Zane again on my roster. Navin took him and to be honest I wasn't that upset, but he had been a great kicker for me the last two years so part of me was a little bummed thinking I shoud have taken him and maybe I could have gotten RJ on the return set. (Who cares though really, it is sorta nice to have a different kicker after two years).

Jesse Ertz- Right before Q took him I knew I needed a QB and had decided with the bye weeks Ertz was the perfect match, right as I had planned that was going to be my pick Q texts me that his pick is in, and then I had to curveball it up.

Other random thoughts
-------------------------

This might be the first time I ever recall Navin not drafting a UCLA player.

This is the first time in a very long time I haven't drafted a California player.

Steve keeps his streak up of drafting a player from Duke.

I've drafted a Clemson WR 3 year in a row.

Q loves Penn State

My steak of not drafting a Florida or Iowa player remains alive.

I think JonBlaze set a record for most Freshmen drafted.

SkinsDevil set a record for most Florida State QB's drafted (3)

Red Snow set a record for most Wisconsin RB's drafted (3)

Navin has had to draft the most Alabama players in soul 12 history.

Going into last years draft I had never drafted a Mississippi player. 2 drafts later I have now drafted 4 (Kelly X2, Cody Core, Markell Pack)

When I think of steal of the draft the first name that pops into my head is Derrick Willies. (OmarEasy)

Where is SteveB's rundown and questionaire for us to answer?

SkinsDevil wins award for fastest drafter and best at send a proxy and staying on top of things (Q will send the trophy out)

I like what the Paper Tigers did with the K-State WR situation. I should have thought about that. He is right other then last year they usually always have 1 WR who gets all the love and he wrapped that up pretty good with Pringle and Burton...

I thought JonBlaze had a heck of a strong middle of the draft. Although his team like always will be hit or miss depending if he has a few things go his way he could be really freakish, and if not well.... Doesn't need "all" if them to go his way, 1 or 2 could go a long ways for his squad.

It's hard to find a team I really dislike because I really don't. It will come down to health and paying attention to what you're doing

No Wake Forest players drafted for 2nd time in 3 years. Only Payton saved them last year on a wild pick of Tabari Hines to not make that streak 3 years.
I believe every other team had a player selected from them. Kansas had 2. North Carolina State 2. Boston College 2. Vanderbilt 2. Kentucky 2. Utah 2. Virginia 1. Maryland 1 (This is from top of my head so could have missed a team)
South Carolina was not a popular fantasy team to ring out this year either.

I am still upset with myself, just totally left Derrick Willies off my list that I created otherwise I'd have taken him before he went. He has Darrin Moore written all over him who I stole in round 14 when he came to Texas Tech as a JUCO. I am not 100% sure what is going to go on at Texas Tech at the WR position but with open spots there Willies has a golden chance and I am expecting him to bust out in that system (pounds fist on table, I MISSED IT)

I always miss out on the top backup RB's in the nation which can be really good picks of really bad picks as they always go a bit earlier then I am willing to pass up starters.

I am really sad that Q did not draft Wes Lunt again. As I have never heard him cry about a fantasy player as much as he did him last year. :) As a matter fact Wes Lunt might hold the record for upsetting fantasy players in our league. Me his FR year when he got hurt with Ok State. His 2nd year with Illinois JB had him and relied on him as a QB2 and never held up his own for him and then last year Q. Now Tony will probably get a star. :)

That is it for now.... I am sure I will add more if others chime in.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I really wanted:

Shock Linwood

Vaughn, Illinois RB - i really wanted him at that pick coming up for me.

Willies - had him as a sleeper and just plum forgot to make a move.

Stringfellow - waited too long

Gabe Marks - there's no way Stevie deserved him.

Alex Ross - new offense, could be a nice addition.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I take guys the DC wants, I am a happy dude.

I did notice that Navin was UCLA-less this year. Amazing!

Why did I focus my passing game around Mississippi St?