• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post-Draft Analysis (Finally)

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis of own team: Obviously there is a clear weakness and that is the quarterback position. Most would look at my QBs and say they are the weakest in the league. Little upside behind top two although Hogan provides nice starts vs some awful Pac12 Ds. I believe my running backs are the best in the league and the top two WRs should be able to score with anybody else’s WRs. At QB, I did not think I would end up with Zaire but thought the value was good and he has upside to be a QB 1. Most people probably do not see Richardson as a QB2 or maybe even a QB3. If Knight, Hubener, Webb don’t get starting positions then a lot rides on Richardson. With 3 giant, talented receivers and no meaningful running game, he should do well against teams like TT, Kan, WVU, etc. My questions are QB2 and WR3. With only one bye per team, except for injuries, depth is not as important as last year. WR was my problem area last year so hopefully someone can step up behind my top 2 whether it be Westerkamp, Scott or someone later. Westerkamp benefits from the injury to Pierson.

Favorite Pick on my Team: Camion Patrick, WR, Indiana – Indiana is not a running team. Last season they ran because they had no QB. With Sudfeld back they will throw again. J-Shun Harris out, they really have no one to throw to and the Indiana message boards (not so crowded) like Patrick as the most talented of the bunch. Honorable Mentions: Johnathan Gray, Texas and DJ Foster, Arizona State.

Least Favorite Pick on my Team: Darreus Rogers, USC – I know this was late so shouldn’t hurt much. This is normally not my type of pick but wanted a couple more players from the high-scoring conferences. If SkinsDevil doesn’t pick a certain USC guy, its probably a good idea not to take him. I sort of normally follow the same logic with UCLA, Florida State, Michigan. Honorable Mentions: Max McCaffrey, Duke and Joe Hubener, Kansas State.

Favorite Picks on other teams:

Round 3 – Skeet Shooters – River Cracraft – I think he is primed for a tremendous season. The injury concerns are valid but when healthy he puts up as big numbers as anyone. When I got my draft spot, I was hoping he’d last to my late 3rd round pick. Actually considered him vs Spruce early 2nd.

Round 4 – Heisman Hopefuls – Storm Woods – Great situation with him in OSU. Coaches have had good quotes on him so far. I just got a little concerned about the spreading out with Chris Brown. OSU may be awful, but they still should have some running yards/TDs.

Round 10 – Drunk Jocks – Geronimo Allison – Interesting one here. He really tailed off late in year but with Dudek out, Illinois is still going to throw the ball. I think the upside is pretty good. I got scared away by his late-season lack of production so I tried to wait on him.

Round 11 – Smurf Turfers – Charles Jones – I had this guy as my top RB on the board for awhile before he went. I usually don’t like low yards, high TD guys but KState averaged 36ppg last year and Charles Jones is the best returning starter. They’ll still find ways to score even with questions marks at the QB position. Great value here. Maybe best value pick of draft.

Round 17 – Drunk Jocks – LeShun Daniels – Quotes have been good about # of carries he could get. A lot of upside with Iowa’s weak schedule. Doesn’t seem like Canzeri is the guy.

Honorable Mention: Round 7 – Everything is Awesome – Baker Mayfield; Round 12 - Smurf Turfers – Danny Anthrop; Round 18 – End Zone Divas – Terrel Hunt; Round 19 – Heisman Hopefuls – Johnell Barnes; Round 17 – Winsley’s Warriors – Ryan Timmons

Picks I Didn’t Like:

Round 3 – Orgy of Evil – Jordan Howard – Sounds like he has talent but we haven’t seen it on a big stage and I’m not buying that Indiana is a running team. They found out what 2,000 yards from an RB gives you at Indiana - - 4-8.

Round 4 – California Raisins – Victor Bolden – I just don’t see a QB here. They will be behind a lot but there are only so many plays in a game and they are going to run quite a bit. Also has to compete with Villamin.

Round 15 – Skeet Shooters – Carlton Agudosi – Even if this guy has potential, Rutgers is a run-first team with a stacked backfield, questions at quarterback, and a star already at WR who scores a ton of TDs in Carroo. I’d think he’d be available in Round 23 but maybe I’m wrong.

Round 16 – Winsley’s Warriors – Broderick Snoddy – Plays the wrong position for GaTech. Limited upside cause of that.

Round 22/23 – Heisman Hopefuls – DJ Knox/Keyante Green – I know its Rounds 22 and 23, but what the heck is this? I understand taking every RB in Tallahassee, but West Lafayette?

Honorable Mention: Round 1 – Asian Alley Cats – Patrick Mahomes; Round 7 – California Raisins – Bryce Treggs; Round 8 – Winsley’s Warriors – Christian Hackenberg; Round 9 – Orgy of Evil – Jordan Villamin; Round 15 – Everything is Awesome – Donte-Thompson Williams

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team by Team:

Asian Alley Cats – Can’t knock too much on the San Francisco Giants of our league. Could potentially have a strong 1-2 at QB. The JWilliams injury of course hurts although Linwood could perform to RB1. Will be interesting to see if Artavis Scott can perform at WR1 level. Key is for either Richard or Radcliff to step up at RB and be a quality weekly starter alongside Linwood. Good chance one of the later WR picks like Gibson, Davis, or Washington pan out as a starter. I’m guessing this Jonathan Banks wins the Heisman or something cause if the Cats pick a player I don’t know much about I assume he has some inside knowledge from within Manhattan or something.

Drunk Jocks – I like the top of the QB position here. Two good starters if Watson stays healthy. Cook was a bargain where he was picked. If Watson gets injured , could have some QB depth issues. Not realy a strong RB1 – Jackson was fine value but I have concerns about that offense. I like Lynch a lot and could see him being the top RB here. LeShun Daniels might be key as he could slip into a starter’s role if Hurd isn’t getting rushing TDs cause of Dobbs. WR is the strength obviously. Once he comes back, Boyd and Cannon make a wonder 1-2 and Grant may be Tech’s top WR. Maybe best top 3 WR’s in our league. Already mentioned that I like Allison. Don’t trust Quinshad anymore.

Heisman Hopefuls – Falk has to win and keep the job here cause there’s not much depth at QB. Lunt has no one to throw to and doesn’t run. I like Howard a lot – didn’t think he’d go quite that early. Top of RB position is strong with Chubb, Hilliman, Woods. Great 1-2-3 although I think RB is a mess after that with Iowa’s backup and then FSU/Purdue which I don’t think you’ll get much out of. I expect Marks to do very well but iffy on Payton. Biggest key to this team is #2 WR - - who steps up alongside Marks. Maybe Barnes is the breakout guy as I saw an update praising him.

End Zone Divas – I think QB is an issue here. Mauk has been a disappointment. If A&M shares snaps at all, this could be a problem. Hunt does have upside if Cuse can just be adequate throwing the ball. Seems like Divas like running QBs. At RB, 1-2-3 is strong although James has injury issues of course. RU has several proven RBs so hopefully they stick with James. I like Duke Williams a lot but don’t think Reynolds can do the TD thing again like he did last year. I think this team will need a ton from the top of the RB position to compete for the division.

Orgy of Evil – Best QBs in the league. Not sure if Dobbs was necessary since Russell and Johnson seem reliable. Good upside guys after the top 3 with Lockie and Browne for the future. Its hard to picture Clement not having a huge year. Ferguson is what he is. Don’t like Howard at RB or Villamin at WR. Can Cayleb Jones or DeMarcus Robinson be a No.1 WR? I think I like this team but the QBs have to be very good - - and they should be. Nice late pick in Isaiah Ford. Could see him contributing.

Winsley’s Warriors – I didn’t like the early QB picks. Neither Solomon or Rudolph has proven they will run a lot. I think Golson might end up being the leading point getter at QB. Towles should improve a little as well and be a spot starter vs Charlotte and maybe Vandy type teams. At RB, don’t understand the Webb pick at all. Not much upside there. On the other hand I think Winsley did they best they could with the Freeman/Hansbrough picks. Terrific value with Hansbrough. Shepard is my #1 WR in the league and Mickens was a slick pick. Fuller’s TD #’s will decline but still good value. I don’t see a championship team here but if Shepard stays healthy, should be competitive.

Skeet Shooters – Article today that Barrett/Jones don’t want to platoon. If they did, it would wreck this team completely. Brissett is a solid guy who can give you starts early vs that awful non-OOC. Everyone here loves Oregon State it seems. Likely only 3 starting QBs on this roster. At RB, Henry/Lasco is a very nice 1-2 punch. He must know something about Stanley Williams because that pick surprised me. Tyner gone hurts but doesn’t crush this position for Shooters. Loved the Cracraft pick. He’ll be the #1 WR next to Mike Williams and then Rudolph. We will see about the Rotowire guys like Jeff Jones.

Everything is Awesome – Not a clear no.1 QB. The keeper Thomas is more of a No.2 or 3. Bercovici is solid, not spectacular. Very intriguing players behind them in Mayfield and Bender. Didn’t add too much support next to Elliot at RB. Washington will be good against the Cals, WSUs, OSUs, but don’t know that I like him vs Stanford and the Pac12 South teams. Obviously a lot invested here in WR and that will have to be the strength - - Doctson, Smith, Quick. I think Williams will require an injury to Marks or Cracraft (which is quite possible) to be a major force. Some interesting picks late for our ACC-only league….oh, wait, we can draft from all Power 5 conferences? Is Tabari Hines the company that makes hummus?

California Raisins – My drafting strategy normally conflicts with Raisins as he goes for talent and I’m more for situations. Gotta like the keepers coming back and fell into Trevone Boykin early. Didn’t think Aaron Green would go quite that early but I like the situation he’s in. If you are going to rely on a team, TCU is probably a good one to rely on. Rosen might be a decent keeper but I doubt he provides 3rd round value this year. After Treadwell, I’m not a fan of the WRs. Ricky Seals Jones is talented but A&M can only throw one football at a time. Carrington and Treggs have tons of competition. I do like Shumpert from MSU where he got him. This team is strong at the top at QB and RB.

Smurf Turfers – I’m usually on board with Turfers picks and his first two selections this year are no different in Booker and Robinson. Don’t like the news on Jovon Robinson coming out. Sirk could be very good if he gets all the snaps for Duke. Sefo is solid but Sirk could be even better Don’t know about Yearby as RB3. I think Charles Jones puts up better #’s. Hamilton and Listenbee provide nice depth at WR. This is probably the most balanced team in the league with a potential numbers monster in Booker.

Vampire Ducks – Started off with great keepers who got stronger with the injury to Jonathan Williams. Vernon Adams situation makes me nervous as a first rounder. If Tommy Armstrong wins that job, he could make up for it. QB depth could be an issue. Only guy who is guaranteed a job is Marquise Williams and the 4th QB is from Kansas so that worries me. Alex Collins/Paul Perkins is a very nice 1-2 at RB with Justin Davis as RB4. That’s one of the stronger RB units. Don’t have much to say about WRs. Don’t think they are great but both Cooper and Thomas were solid selections.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great rundown Stevie. Good job as always.

I will add a bit more later.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Stevie only destroys my 22/23 swing picks and my 2/3 swing picks...I know I did better than usual.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skeet Shooters – Article today that Barrett/Jones don’t want to platoon. If they did, it would wreck this team completely. Brissett is a solid guy who can give you starts early vs that awful non-OOC. Everyone here loves Oregon State it seems. Likely only 3 starting QBs on this roster. At RB, Henry/Lasco is a very nice 1-2 punch. He must know something about Stanley Williams because that pick surprised me. Tyner gone hurts but doesn’t crush this position for Shooters. Loved the Cracraft pick. He’ll be the #1 WR next to Mike Williams and then Rudolph. We will see about the Rotowire guys like Jeff Jones.

3 starting QBs is better than what I had last year with 1 starting QB :) But yeah, if Ohio St platoons I am screwed. I like the young/mobile QBs so the spring game buzz on Seth Collins probably made me over-draft him by several rounds at least. Was always impressed with Utah St QBs. The other QB picks were all hail mary/keeper type options.

Boom Williams is probably never going to be a true workhorse stud type RB just due to lack of size, but you never know. I had a lot of success with Dexter McCluster who was even smaller but with perhaps a similar skill set. Boom's not as quick/shifty, but I can see best case scenario a similar season. Of course, he did just hurt his knee....

Jeff Jones is another guy with McCluster like aspirations for me. He's a bigger guy, but a natural RB that is being moved to WR. Not sure how they will use him, but if he can be a Percy Harvin type all over the field type player, might pay off.

Carlton Agudosi...will admit that was a reaching pick. Purely based off physical attributes and spring game performance. Don't expect anything from him honestly.

I'm hoping Ty Isaac somehow wins the starting RB job. Harbaugh has made fantasy stars out of his RBs.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad we have a proper system in place now to prevent frauds like McCluster.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is Awesome – Not a clear no.1 QB. The keeper Thomas is more of a No.2 or 3. Bercovici is solid, not spectacular. Very intriguing players behind them in Mayfield and Bender. Didn’t add too much support next to Elliot at RB. Washington will be good against the Cals, WSUs, OSUs, but don’t know that I like him vs Stanford and the Pac12 South teams. Obviously a lot invested here in WR and that will have to be the strength - - Doctson, Smith, Quick. I think Williams will require an injury to Marks or Cracraft (which is quite possible) to be a major force. Some interesting picks late for our ACC-only league….oh, wait, we can draft from all Power 5 conferences? Is Tabari Hines the company that makes hummus?

Yeah, my draft broke down late because drafting the way we were really threw me off my game (Such as it is)... Yes, I could have adjusted, but didn't, and busy to the point where I didn't care THAT much... So yes, in a pinch I curl into a ball and draft what I know here in ACC country... :)

For RB? Hoping Carson lives up to the hype and gets the bulk of the work for Okie State... You're right on the QBs, but I feel like someone is going to step up to be that #1 QB I need... Maybe Mayfield, maybe Reggie Bonnafon... Obviously Bender would be the shit if he somehow becomes the starter at Wazzu. Still feel like I was gipped out of a full season of having Leach's QB last season...

But yeah, WR needs to carry me as I feel I have a strong top 4, but unlike you serious types, I really haven't checked bye weeks and such, so I'll just have to see how that pans out...

BTW, now that we're done drafting and all, why did Bonnafon drop so far? I'd figure the Louisville QB would be worth a top 10 pick and was happy to get him where I did... What does everyone else know that I dont? :noidea:

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome job Paper Tigers- Great run down. Good job on my team. Couldn't agree more with the good and concerns.

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, my draft broke down late because drafting the way we were really threw me off my game (Such as it is)... Yes, I could have adjusted, but didn't, and busy to the point where I didn't care THAT much... So yes, in a pinch I curl into a ball and draft what I know here in ACC country... :)

For RB? Hoping Carson lives up to the hype and gets the bulk of the work for Okie State... You're right on the QBs, but I feel like someone is going to step up to be that #1 QB I need... Maybe Mayfield, maybe Reggie Bonnafon... Obviously Bender would be the shit if he somehow becomes the starter at Wazzu. Still feel like I was gipped out of a full season of having Leach's QB last season...

But yeah, WR needs to carry me as I feel I have a strong top 4, but unlike you serious types, I really haven't checked bye weeks and such, so I'll just have to see how that pans out...

BTW, now that we're done drafting and all, why did Bonnafon drop so far? I'd figure the Louisville QB would be worth a top 10 pick and was happy to get him where I did... What does everyone else know that I dont? :noidea:

I thought you drafted really good early. Not so good late. I did like the Tevaun Smith pick. You ever see that video of him catching all of those passes 1 handed?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you drafted really good early. Not so good late. I did like the Tevaun Smith pick. You ever see that video of him catching all of those passes 1 handed?

In the interest of full disclosure...

...Tevaun Smith was technically not picked by me... DC helped me out because I was monumentally stressed with other things, had limited computer access and was over the whole KFFL thing... Smith, the A&M WR and the Wisconsin kicker were DC helping me get to the end of the debacle that was our draft this year.... :)

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Asian Alley Cats lose a 4th round 2016 selection and a $100,000 fine based on this collusion.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Asian Alley Cats lose a 4th round 2016 selection and a $100,000 fine based on this collusion.

You didn't suspect? And you fancy yourself the league detective?

Payton picks a non-ACC guy that late, and an Iowa Hawkeye to boot?!!

Alarm bells should have been going off all over in your head!!!... :lol:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton was the most interesting pick for me.

I almost went big at RB and took Richard there.

I kinda wish I had done that.

But with Tyner out I'm now also worried that Marshall is gonna get more carries and less time at WR. Btw marshall has to be the latest a WR who has actually had a 1k season has gone.

I also had zero expectations for Marks to start a single game for me this year.

I had a hard time deciding on my 2nd keeper.

Initially I thought I might keep Allison. But he fell off so bad I stopped. I thought about Reynolds but 2 QBs and the way they spread the ball and the super flukey TDs made me unsure of him.

I also looked at Robinson since his numbers were solid and should have an upgrade at QB.

None of the picks were ideal. So I went with the guy I thought had the highest upside.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asian Alley Cats on probation!

League decided to strip them of one of their keepers this year as punishment.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team by Team:

Vampire Ducks – Started off with great keepers who got stronger with the injury to Jonathan Williams. Vernon Adams situation makes me nervous as a first rounder. If Tommy Armstrong wins that job, he could make up for it. QB depth could be an issue. Only guy who is guaranteed a job is Marquise Williams and the 4th QB is from Kansas so that worries me. Alex Collins/Paul Perkins is a very nice 1-2 at RB with Justin Davis as RB4. That’s one of the stronger RB units. Don’t have much to say about WRs. Don’t think they are great but both Cooper and Thomas were solid selections.

Good analysis.

I didn't follow college football at all last year, and I came in to this year's draft just thinking I didn't want to embarass myself. I thought I'd get myself a year back under my belt while i readjusted to the game. I honestly hadn't heard of a lot of the players picked even in the first few rounds of the draft until i started preparation.

I didn't realize that Vernon Adams wasn't the sure starter when I made the pick. I was just starting my preparation when I made that pick, and had only really consulted Steele at the time, who always sounds more confident in his conclusions than perhaps he should be. My fault entirely. Based on having Adams and Williams, I didn't focus very much on the QB position for the rest of the draft. I was lucky enough to get Touchdown Tommy in the 7th, and i'm pretty happy with him. As for Montell Cozart, I'm actually pretty happy with him in the 14th. Kansas's new coach has been a passing game coordinator for a pass-heavy offense, and while this is his first go as HC, i think it's a pretty good bet he goes with what he knows. And that means Cozart will be throwing quite a lot. Plus his ability to run means i should get some points on the ground from him as well. He probably won't be a star, but as a QB4, i have confidence in him. (plus, i have history of picking diamonds in the rough in the 14th round - that's where i got Shonn Greene last time I won the league)

I agree that RB is the strength of my team. I wasn't that happy with Collins as a keeper (pre-williams-injury, of course - now i am thrilled to have him), so i hit RB strongly early, picking RBs in rounds 2,4,6, and 9. I anticipated that Collins would be no better than my RB3 or RB4 when Williams was healthy. Now that Williams is injured and Collins will be the main guy for the Razorbacks and RB1 worthy, that makes my RBs very very strong - much stronger than I had anticipated.

WRs, I agree as well. I got solid guys, no spectacular picks until Daikiel Shorts in the 8th round, who i keep getting more and more excited about every time i read about him. I have several really young and talented but unproven guys at this position like Shorts, Dupre, Mitchell and Zamora. I need at least one or two of these guys to break out this year if i'm going to be a competitive team in 2015. Worst case scenario, I have some excellent keeper options here.

K, i have the top kicker on my board in Oberkrom, and a backup who is a talented freshman playing a joke schedule (and playing UVA when Oberkrom is on bye) - can't get too excited about kickers, but i'm satisfied.

Overall, i'd say the success of my team boils down to two things:

1. Does Adams win the job, and if not, can I compensate with Armstrong and/or Cozart?
2. Do any of my young WRs break out for me?

Those two questions might make the difference between the vampire ducks being 11-3 or being 3-11

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had Armstrong rated very highly and if he wins and keeps the job I think he'll do very well. They've already lost a WR or two which doesn't help, but I do like that pick a lot. Might end up regretting not grabbing him in Round 6 or whatever.

I got nervous about him when reading how more about how his skill-set may not match the offense enough and with how many other secondary options there are in Lincoln.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had Armstrong rated very highly and if he wins and keeps the job I think he'll do very well. They've already lost a WR or two which doesn't help, but I do like that pick a lot. Might end up regretting not grabbing him in Round 6 or whatever.

I got nervous about him when reading how more about how his skill-set may not match the offense enough and with how many other secondary options there are in Lincoln.

That last part was my biggest concern with armstrong as well.

he's not much of a passer.

Will riley tailor the offense a bit more to him?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine Adams not winning that job.

Lockie didn't really look good in mop up duty last year (I know it's a new year) but I would be very shocked if Adams doesn't win that job. Be a huge upset.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i knew you had armstrong rated very highly, based on your comments about the nebraska passing game in the discussion thread upon picking westerkamp in the 6th. Daikiel Shorts was actually higher on my list than Armstrong (again, based on my determination that WR was a greater need for me at the time than QB), but i swapped them since i knew you would be picking twice before my next pick, and i didn't have a sense as to whether you (or anyone else at that corner) liked shorts.

my play at that 7/8 corner was definitely a gamble, but it paid off for me. as it turned out, i got both Armstrong and Shorts exactly one pick ahead of someone else who was at least thinking about them, if not targeting them. I got lucky.