• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

possible post FA landing spots for rookie RB's (and Ajayi)

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so with Ajayi being the last man standing as far as a likely "lead" back, left to sign with a team, what potential landing spots remain for the incoming class?

Given the recent insurgence of amazing RB classes starting in '15 with Gurley, DJ, and Gordon, followed by Zeke, Henry, Howard in '16, Fournette, Mixon, Kamara, Cmac, Cook and Hunt*, in '17, and Barkley, Michel, Chubb, Lindsey/Freeman, and presumably Guice in '18, 12 teams are pretty much set for the near future. When you add in Leveon Bell, D. Freeman, Shady McCoy, James Conner, and eliminate the clusterfucks that are Philly, SF, and Seattle..that doesn't leave much for "ideal" landing spots. Add in that there's no "can't miss" RB prospect this year, and we've got a shit show waiting to happen.
But here's my opinion on the "best of the rest"

#1 Tampa Bay Bucc's. Ronnie Jones sure wasn't the answer, I can't imagine they settle with Peyton Barber again. Its hard to imagine spending that kind of draft capital on what has largely become an "interchangeable" position, two years in a row, but they are in desperate need.

after #1, its gets awfully murky, awfully fast

#2 Miami Dolphins. Drake has produced admirably, but lackluster. There's a few guys in the draft I'd consider an immediate upgrade

#3 Indy Colts. See above but insert Mack for Drake

#4 Chicago Bears. Cohen ain't gonna be THE guy, and Mike Davis is a wild card, having done little outside of a satisfactory job as a COP back.

#5 Green Bay Packers. Wouldn't take much for an early pick to out talent Jones and Williams, but doubtful they'd make that investment.

#6 Oakland Raiders. Crow and Richard COULD handle the load, but plenty of options have the potential to beat either or both of them for a role.

#7 Houston Texans. Foreman may or may not be an answer, and Miller needs replaced regardless.

#8 New Orleans Saints. Someone is needed to at least partially fill Ingram's role. They value Kamara too much to run his wheels off this early in his career.

And that's pretty much it. Anywhere else and your just praying for an injury to the starter(s), and honestly, after the Bears at #4, your banking on a rook taking a job away from an established vet, or being the low end of a big time share anyways. And don't forget about poor old Ajayi..one of those 3-4 jobs is most likely his, they just haven't signed him yet

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Howard was dealt i did think the Bears would sign Ajayi. Since it didnt happen, i wonder if teams view him as a last option if they don't land a RB in the draft.

I could see all of your scenarios except Green Bay.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buyColts, Packers or Saints as being interested. Leaning to including Bears as a no also, don't think they would bother with Davis if Ajayi was a FA target.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Howard was dealt i did think the Bears would sign Ajayi. Since it didnt happen, i wonder if teams view him as a last option if they don't land a RB in the draft.

I could see all of your scenarios except Green Bay.
I also seriously doubt they go and draft anyone high. My point is that if they did, it would be a plus landing spot due to the offense and that both Jones and Williams could be beaten out. I don't at all expect it to happen

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buyColts, Packers or Saints as being interested. Leaning to including Bears as a no also, don't think they would bother with Davis if Ajayi was a FA target.
Much like I just responded to Joe, this isnt necessarily what I think will happen, just what could be a good spot IF it happens.

As to the colts, they weren't heavily linked to both Bell and Ajayi because they're content with what they've got, they've obviously explored the possibility if adding a significant piece. I think they SHOULD look to upgrade there, I'm at about 60/40 that they actually will.

Packers, again, see above

Bears, yea, just how they feel about Mike Davis is a big "?". But, should they draft a RB in the first few rounds, Davis is beatable, for early down type jobs. I don't think anyone in the draft, or available in FA could beat him out of the passing game/pass protection roles. But he's nothing special between the tackles, adequate, but meh. But that's what I'm saying, after the Buc's, situations SUCK. Da Bears while not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, is a better landing spot than most.

Somehow I totally spaced that the Saints signed Murray..so agreed, bad spot for a rookie to land

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course..we can't forget that Kamara landed in a horrid situation as a rookie, and won fantasy titles for tons of people

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis got 3 million guarantee, not a enormous amount, but enough that I don't see the Bears doing that if Ajayi was the FA they wanted.
Davis isn't special, but he is versatile and fits the Nagy offense well IMO. Feel the Bears feel the same, which is why they signed him early. I'm biased,but feel I'm looking at this correctly. ;)

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, you're correct, I'm not at all saying youre not, just stating that if the right prospect fell into their laps, at the right place in the draft, its a winnable job

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like I just responded to Joe, this isnt necessarily what I think will happen, just what could be a good spot IF it happens.

As to the colts, they weren't heavily linked to both Bell and Ajayi because they're content with what they've got, they've obviously explored the possibility if adding a significant piece. I think they SHOULD look to upgrade there, I'm at about 60/40 that they actually will.

I was hoping the Colts would bring in CJ Anderson. I was hoping that last year too.
They have brought Ajayi in twice in the past few weeks.
They may just be content with Mack, Wilkens and Hines and maybe a later round draft pick.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping the Colts would bring in CJ Anderson. I was hoping that last year too.
They have brought Ajayi in twice in the past few weeks.
They may just be content with Mack, Wilkens and Hines and maybe a later round draft pick.
Really? CJ? Why? Did you wanna see a full blown split? No way CJ simply beats out Mack. Mack is like Hillman, only ten times better at actually being a RB, and CJ could never keep Hillman on the bench..in his prime, let alone now

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? CJ? Why? Did you wanna see a full blown split? No way CJ simply beats out Mack. Mack is like Hillman, only ten times better at actually being a RB, and CJ could never keep Hillman on the bench..in his prime, let alone now
Because Anderson gets positive yardage. He's never averaged less than 4 yards per carry. He is also a very good pass blocker.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Anderson gets positive yardage. He's never averaged less than 4 yards per carry. He is also a very good pass blocker.
So you're talking a team benefit, not a positive from a fantasy perspective. Got it. Yes CJ is good for that. His presence frags fantasy situations regardless of team though

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're talking a team benefit, not a positive from a fantasy perspective. Got it. Yes CJ is good for that. His presence frags fantasy situations regardless of team though
I'm sorry. I forgot this thread was in the fantasy category.

I don't know if I would want a Colts RB on my fantasy team. They will be giving Mack some carries and I think Hines will see a decent % of the touches. Wilkens is also an intriguing player in his second NFL season.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry. I forgot this thread was in the fantasy category.

I don't know if I would want a Colts RB on my fantasy team. They will be giving Mack some carries and I think Hines will see a decent % of the touches. Wilkens is also an intriguing player in his second NFL season.
Same...unless they draft one of the few guys who looks to be a real deal, or sign Ajayi..then I'd be all in. But I don't really want Mack as anything more than a RB3-4 type, a bye week filler, a weekly flex option, emergency injury insurance for your top two guys..stuff like that, but, Hynes, in a ppr, might be a viable flex option in a pinch, worthy of a bench spot in those leagues

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Mack as a RB2. Maybe even my RB1 if I waited for the later rounds to get RB's.
He's got good size, the Indy O-line is getting better and better and he ran for 4.7 yards a carry and 9TD's last season.

upload_2019-4-5_13-39-5.png

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I know the numbers tell a different story, there's just something I can't wrap my head around about his game. Just don't see him being THE guy for long. Can't explain it, can't identify it, its just not there for me

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But here's my opinion on the "best of the rest"

#1 Tampa Bay Bucc's. Ronnie Jones sure wasn't the answer, I can't imagine they settle with Peyton Barber again. Its hard to imagine spending that kind of draft capital on what has largely become an "interchangeable" position, two years in a row, but they are in desperate need.

after #1, its gets awfully murky, awfully fast

#2 Miami Dolphins. Drake has produced admirably, but lackluster. There's a few guys in the draft I'd consider an immediate upgrade

#3 Indy Colts. See above but insert Mack for Drake

#4 Chicago Bears. Cohen ain't gonna be THE guy, and Mike Davis is a wild card, having done little outside of a satisfactory job as a COP back.

#5 Green Bay Packers. Wouldn't take much for an early pick to out talent Jones and Williams, but doubtful they'd make that investment.

#6 Oakland Raiders. Crow and Richard COULD handle the load, but plenty of options have the potential to beat either or both of them for a role.

#7 Houston Texans. Foreman may or may not be an answer, and Miller needs replaced regardless.

#8 New Orleans Saints. Someone is needed to at least partially fill Ingram's role. They value Kamara too much to run his wheels off this early in his career.

And that's pretty much it. Anywhere else and your just praying for an injury to the starter(s), and honestly, after the Bears at #4, your banking on a rook taking a job away from an established vet, or being the low end of a big time share anyways. And don't forget about poor old Ajayi..one of those 3-4 jobs is most likely his, they just haven't signed him yet

I agree that Tampa needs somebody but with a new coaching staff you have no idea what they'll do. I highly doubt they draft another running back unless it's on day 3.

There is a lot of coach and local radio talk about Kalen Ballage and Drake splitting it close to 50/50 in Miami. They think that highly of Ballage.

I doubt very seriously that all of the sudden Indy is going to change it's thinking on the running back position. They aren't going to use any high draft capital at that position because they've done just fine with 4th round or later running backs and refuse to sign any players that involve any kind of drama (hence not making a push for Brown or Bell even with their massive amounts of cap space). Last time they took a running back before round 4 was 2009 and it was Donald Brown. No wonder they shy away from it now.

I think the Bears are fine with Mike Davis and Cohen. They might draft somebody else as a role player, but he won't get many touches.

I guess you really aren't big on Aaron Jones because I think that guy is a top ten running back so we'll just have to differ on that one.

Both Oakland and Houston will probably draft a running back. If for nothing else at Oakland for depth. And Houston can't let their only backup to Miller be a guy who tore his achilles two years ago and hasn't really seen hardly any game action since.

As stated earlier the Saints signed Murray so I think they'll probably stay put where they are.

Other places that might draft one are the Bills because it's not like either Shady or Gore are spring chickens. The Bengals since they will be cutting the human arrest warrant in Mark Walton and Gio is a free agent after this year and Mixon isn't exactly a model of health. The Cowboys cut Rod Smith and have absolutely nothing behind Zeke so they might draft or sign somebody. And the 49ers and Eagles always have room for more. LOL.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Tampa needs somebody but with a new coaching staff you have no idea what they'll do. I highly doubt they draft another running back unless it's on day 3.

There is a lot of coach and local radio talk about Kalen Ballage and Drake splitting it close to 50/50 in Miami. They think that highly of Ballage.

I doubt very seriously that all of the sudden Indy is going to change it's thinking on the running back position. They aren't going to use any high draft capital at that position because they've done just fine with 4th round or later running backs and refuse to sign any players that involve any kind of drama (hence not making a push for Brown or Bell even with their massive amounts of cap space). Last time they took a running back before round 4 was 2009 and it was Donald Brown. No wonder they shy away from it now.

I think the Bears are fine with Mike Davis and Cohen. They might draft somebody else as a role player, but he won't get many touches.

I guess you really aren't big on Aaron Jones because I think that guy is a top ten running back so we'll just have to differ on that one.

Both Oakland and Houston will probably draft a running back. If for nothing else at Oakland for depth. And Houston can't let their only backup to Miller be a guy who tore his achilles two years ago and hasn't really seen hardly any game action since.

As stated earlier the Saints signed Murray so I think they'll probably stay put where they are.

Other places that might draft one are the Bills because it's not like either Shady or Gore are spring chickens. The Bengals since they will be cutting the human arrest warrant in Mark Walton and Gio is a free agent after this year and Mixon isn't exactly a model of health. The Cowboys cut Rod Smith and have absolutely nothing behind Zeke so they might draft or sign somebody. And the 49ers and Eagles always have room for more. LOL.
Well, again, it wasn't so much what I think they'll do, or not do, as it is places the beatable RB's already in place. Places where a rookie could go, and realistically compete for a meaningful role.
And yes those other places likely will draft one, but baring injuries, they don't have a shot at beating anyone. Maybe Baltimore could replace Dixon to compliment Ingram but its Ingram's show, Dallas needs at least 2 RB's behind Zeke, but we know that's futile. The Bills you mentioned, yea sure, but is a took gonna cone in and upend Shady, or Gore? Sane with Mixon and Gio in Cincy. Yea they need a third, but he won't be used much until next year at best, and then they'll be on this list next year.

My entire point was there simply aren't any obvious "ideal" landing spots for anyone so I'm just identifying where a took COULD go and at least possibly compete for a real role, this season. None of them.are cherry, nor ideal

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, again, it wasn't so much what I think they'll do, or not do, as it is places the beatable RB's already in place. Places where a rookie could go, and realistically compete for a meaningful role.
And yes those other places likely will draft one, but baring injuries, they don't have a shot at beating anyone. Maybe Baltimore could replace Dixon to compliment Ingram but its Ingram's show, Dallas needs at least 2 RB's behind Zeke, but we know that's futile. The Bills you mentioned, yea sure, but is a took gonna cone in and upend Shady, or Gore? Sane with Mixon and Gio in Cincy. Yea they need a third, but he won't be used much until next year at best, and then they'll be on this list next year.

My entire point was there simply aren't any obvious "ideal" landing spots for anyone so I'm just identifying where a took COULD go and at least possibly compete for a real role, this season. None of them.are cherry, nor ideal
BTW, this was an auto correct nightmare, I apologize

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings will be looking for depth behind Cook now that Murray has moved on. With Cooks health issue could be a good landing spot for a RB.