• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff selection committee members (first 6 announced)

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't want to click the link:

The selection process for members of the College Football Playoff committee is underway and Condoleezza Rice is expected to be one of the members of the panel, according to the AP.

The former secretary of state under President George W. Bush is an avowed football fan and has said that her dream job was to be NFL commissioner. While Roger Goodell looks like he won't be leaving that post anytime soon, the selection committee is a logical step for Rice.

A firm number of committee spots hasn't been announced, though it's expected to be between 12-18 people. That's larger than the basketball selection committee. Before the season, BCS executive director Bill Hancock said that the committee wouldn't be finalized before the end of the season but names of candidates have started trickling out. The committee will be responsible for the selection of the four-team playoff to determine college football's champion that starts next year.

In addition to Rice, ESPN reported that seven others have been chosen to the committee. Those are Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez, USC's Pat Haden, West Virginia's Oliver Luck, Arkansas' Jeff Long, and Clemson's Dan Radakovich, as well as former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese. Former Ole Miss QB Archie Manning was named as well.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's actually a very avid college football fan and is known to get up 2 am in Israel to watch CFB. Also, if you want an unbiased person, she's probably about as unbiased as you could get when it comes to college football.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that active AD's should be allowed to vote. Too much room for manipulation.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I am very biased here, but...

anyone who has served in federal government....

I, personally, don't want them anywhere near anything that gives them any kind of power over college football.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more conference commissioners, but this is definitely the way to go. People are going to think that they will have their own affiliations to look after, but I see it much like the basketball committee. If the conference you represent has a team in question, excuse them from the conversation.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's put people on this supposedly unbiased committee whose jobs are tied directly to the funds they get from their team and conference affiliation

This is already turning into a hot mess of shit

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's actually a very avid college football fan and is known to get up 2 am in Israel to watch CFB. Also, if you want an unbiased person, she's probably about as unbiased as you could get when it comes to college football.

With her ties to Stanford? Not exactly totally unbiased, but yes she is a huge college football fan. Does that qualify you to pick winners and losers for the post season?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more conference commissioners, but this is definitely the way to go. People are going to think that they will have their own affiliations to look after, but I see it much like the basketball committee. If the conference you represent has a team in question, excuse them from the conversation.

what about when a rival of the team you represent is in consideration?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree if our commissioner wasn't trying to sacrifice football around every fucking corner. Dude's a basketball man and every move he has made for the ACC has been about basketball. I'll take our AD over Swofford. Swofford is garbage.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious on who people think should be on this committee. It's easy to bash and say that someone is a bad pick, but who would you rather see in their place, that is a much tougher response. And as to what ericd said, wouldn't conference commisioners be just as biased as school AD's, if not more because it would be for an entire conference rather than just one university?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With her ties to Stanford? Not exactly totally unbiased, but yes she is a huge college football fan. Does that qualify you to pick winners and losers for the post season?

Another thing, a major government employee seriously doesn't (or SHOULDN'T) have the time to stick their nose into this.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious on who people think should be on this committee. It's easy to bash and say that someone is a bad pick, but who would you rather see in their place, that is a much tougher response. And as to what ericd said, wouldn't conference commisioners be just as biased as school AD's, if not more because it would be for an entire conference rather than just one university?

I'll go in depth about it next week on my show, but there shouldn't be a committee.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want everyone mentioned. I also want about 200 other voters so they'll cancel all the stupid wacko/fringe voters out. Small means more influence and greater chance for the biases to have an impact.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is the problem.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want everyone mentioned. I also want about 200 other voters so they'll cancel all the stupid wacko/fringe voters out. Small means more influence and greater chance for the biases to have an impact.

Once again, they wont be voting. It is a round table discussion with a group leader.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So basically you want what we currently have, people who have never played the sport and many who barely know the rules of the sport, deciding who should be playing in the championship game. Just with one extra round. Got it.