• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Round Bye Hunting: Managing the Julio situation and Flex help

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a 3 way tie for first and in a rare case of Fantasy Football "fairness" the current playoff teams are all perfectly aligned 1 through 6 in terms of points scored. Up top... we are all within 40 points of each other. Top two teams get the first round bye. I am 30 back of 2nd place in points and 40 back of 1st place. I have a hill to climb this week to get the bye.

I have to win AND I also have to beat one of them by 30 or 40. The first round bye would also be pivotal to assure that I have Marlon Mack healthy for my playoffs. Losing is not very consequential. In fact, I think the probable #6 team is more dangerous than probable #5. So, this is a "swing for upside and the fences" kind of a week. Which is also fun. lol

So, Julio is regarded as a GTD. I picked up Anthony Miller who has really picked up steam steadily with his target-share lately and now should garner more targets with Gabriel out. I've always thought he was an extremely talented WR in a bad offense. I like him this week.

The thing is... I actually think he's a better flex play than Jack Doyle, Duke/David Johnson, Josh Gordon, Matt Breida (might not play) or Jamal Williams (also have A. Jones and doubling down on GB RB's is not "upside". Even if it has been viable a lot of weeks).

So, if I do decide Miller is the best flex play. Who plays before Julio tomorrow in the early game vs Detroit. That still leaves me needing to pickup Russell Gage if news drops that Julio is out. Gage is just sitting there to be plucked at any moment. Which makes me uneasy.

So... in 0.5 PPR scoring

#1 - Is Miller vs DET a better flex play than David Johnson vs LAR, Duke Johnson vs NE, Josh Gordon vs MIN, Breida vs BAL or J. Williams vs NYG (also have Jones)? I think yes. I see an argument for Jack Doyle there (Waller is my every week TE).

#2 - Do I drop anyone on the list above not named Jack Doyle or David Johnson? I decided I'm seeing what happens with David Johnson after the bye. I have Jones and don't want to drop Williams. I'm probably not going to drop Breida. I am very willing to drop Duke. I didn't use him in any of his good games and then he got me 3.5 in my flex last week. Not sure how I can use him again.

Willing to hear arguments on dropping Josh Gordon. But I have stuck with him through everything and REALLY don't want to do that now. I want to see what happens after one more week of practice still. I will listen, though.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a 3 way tie for first and in a rare case of Fantasy Football "fairness" the current playoff teams are all perfectly aligned 1 through 6 in terms of points scored. Up top... we are all within 40 points of each other. Top two teams get the first round bye. I am 30 back of 2nd place in points and 40 back of 1st place. I have a hill to climb this week to get the bye.

I have to win AND I also have to beat one of them by 30 or 40. The first round bye would also be pivotal to assure that I have Marlon Mack healthy for my playoffs. Losing is not very consequential. In fact, I think the probable #6 team is more dangerous than probable #5. So, this is a "swing for upside and the fences" kind of a week. Which is also fun. lol

So, Julio is regarded as a GTD. I picked up Anthony Miller who has really picked up steam lately and now should garner more targets with Gabriel out. I like him this week. The thing is... I actually think he's a better flex play than Jack Doyle, Duke/David Johnson, Josh Gordon, Matt Breida (might not play) or Jamal Williams (also have A. Jones and doubling down on GB RB's is not "upside". Even if it has been viable a lot of weeks).

So, if I do decide Miller is the best flex play. Who plays before Julio tomorrow in the early game vs Detroit. That still leaves me needing to pickup Russell Gage if news drops that Julio is out. Gage is just sitting there to be plucked at any moment. Which makes me uneasy.

So... in 0.5 PPR scoring

#1 - Is Miller vs DET a better flex play than David Johnson vs LAR, Duke Johnson vs NE, Josh Gordon vs MIN, Breida vs BAL or J. Williams vs NYG (also have Jones)? I think yes. I see an argument for Jack Doyle there (Waller is my every week TE).

#2 - Do I drop anyone on the list above not named Jack Doyle or David Johnson? I decided I'm seeing what happens with David Johnson after the bye. I have Jones and don't want to drop Williams. I'm probably not going to drop Breida. I am very willing to drop Duke. I didn't use him in any of his good games and then he got me 3.5 in my flex last week. Not sure how I can use him again.

Willing to hear arguments on dropping Josh Gordon. But I have stuck with him through everything and REALLY don't want to do that now. I want to see what happens after one more week of practice still. I will listen, though.

miller vs doyle for me. god i dont ever wanna rely on trubisky.

truly, are you ever gonna play duke johnson? if you are? is he really gonna make you feel better than anyone you can get on waivers? I dont think so. So drop him

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why you can't drop Duke.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why you can't drop Duke.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I've just endured a lot at RB this year between David Johnson. The Mixon roller coaster. Mack's broken hand. Breida's ankle not allowing me to have him fill in during the Aaron Jones bye or during Mack's broken hand. I'm just a little shell-shocked. I'm gonna drop Duke.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
miller vs doyle for me. god i dont ever wanna rely on trubisky.

truly, are you ever gonna play duke johnson? if you are? is he really gonna make you feel better than anyone you can get on waivers? I dont think so. So drop him

Yeah, I was leaning towards dropping Duke. I'm gonna do it. I'm just shellshocked by all the RB bull shit I've endured this year. I'm clinging to any option that MIGHT be viable in an emergency. But you're right... I can get his production from Breida or double up on GB RB's in a pinch. Or go to waivers. Would be the same as Duke.

I've just always had a thing for Duke. He's so damn efficient when he IS actually on the field. It's just that no team wants to use him more than a 3rd down/change of pace RB.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was leaning towards dropping Duke. I'm gonna do it. I'm just shellshocked by all the RB bull shit I've endured this year. I'm clinging to any option that MIGHT be viable in an emergency. But you're right... I can get his production from Breida or double up on GB RB's in a pinch. Or go to waivers. Would be the same as Duke.

I've just always had a thing for Duke. He's so damn efficient when he IS actually on the field. It's just that no team wants to use him more than a 3rd down/change of pace RB.
I feel yah but it’s the right move!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit... Couldn't have managed this better really. Miller, Gage and Lutz were my turkey day plays. Hard to imagine three after thoughts on the fantasy radar showing out better than that.

Thanks to all who helped. 49.2 combined from the three lowest projected in my lineup is a helluva start to try and cover some ground in the points race.