• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff games around the league

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Sharks beat the Kings in their last 2 games of the season, all the Kings did was dominate every team they came across.

The Kings deserve it.

It must be especially sweet to do it at home.

Congrats LA Kings!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Watching LA dance around with the cup is one of the ugliest sites in my professional sports watching history. All the celebs that dont give a rat's ass about it. and then hearing them congratulate deano and darryl sutter... oh man, it's just awful!

And whats worse is that they are all young. The only guys 31 or over on the whole damn team are scuderi and mitchell at 33 and 35. They will only be getting better and better...

A changing of the guard has just taken place...

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F U C K LA!

:mad2: I hope it rains on their perade!

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching LA dance around with the cup is one of the ugliest sites in my professional sports watching history. All the celebs that dont give a rat's ass about it. and then hearing them congratulate deano and darryl sutter... oh man, it's just awful!

And whats worse is that they are all young. The only guys 31 or over on the whole damn team are scuderi and mitchell at 33 and 35. They will only be getting better and better...

A changing of the guard has just taken place...

Agreed... This really doesn't bode well for the Sharks..

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed... This really doesn't bode well for the Sharks..

It really makes me feel like the best bet for the sharks is really to trade their older guys for top picks and prospects and be willing to take a chance at sucking for a couple years.

Jumbo, patty, boyle, clowe, Havlat, and murray would sure fetch a set of young NHLers, prospects, and picks that would set the sharks up to be a superpower about 2 to 3 years from now. Obviously, it's not going to happen, but I just cannot imagine a world in which the current sharks roster, even with some major tweaks like nash, can compete with much younger, faster, and tougher rivals.

Im sure dougie is grinding his teeth watching the guy he replaced carry the cup, not to mention how young and repeatable they are.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont see it being a yearly thing,Quick was out of his mind all season, not likely to repeat itself at that level again.

That being said nice to see Sutter finally get a cup, maybe he will retire and the kings will be completely fucked lol

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see it being a yearly thing,Quick was out of his mind all season, not likely to repeat itself at that level again.

That being said nice to see Sutter finally get a cup, maybe he will retire and the kings will be completely fucked lol

I have great respect for coach Sutter and it's awesome to see him achieve success even if it isn't with San Jose.

wolfgang

wkern42
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hey, my team lost to the eventual champions 3 years in a row. And YES I am jealous. But yeah the kings looked awesome. Saw few of their games except the first 5, but after they swept St. Louis, I kinda knew it was coming to this. Up 3 Fucking 0 4 times in a row?? Are you kidding me.

Congrats to the Kings.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stalock if you read this, please be a duck hunter, king assasinater, shooting star, coyote ugly whatever just bring us a Cup to San Jose!

I cannot watch another King/Duck team raise another Cup AT LEAST(preferably never) until we have a Cup of our own. . . .

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It really makes me feel like the best bet for the sharks is really to trade their older guys for top picks and prospects and be willing to take a chance at sucking for a couple years.

Jumbo, patty, boyle, clowe, Havlat, and murray would sure fetch a set of young NHLers, prospects, and picks that would set the sharks up to be a superpower about 2 to 3 years from now. Obviously, it's not going to happen, but I just cannot imagine a world in which the current sharks roster, even with some major tweaks like nash, can compete with much younger, faster, and tougher rivals.

Im sure dougie is grinding his teeth watching the guy he replaced carry the cup, not to mention how young and repeatable they are.

Agreed again.. In our last little poll, I firmly fell in the blow it up and rebuild camp. I would have no problems with a couple years of lack luster standings if they are building for a future run. No way this aging group can compete with a young kings team that is on the rise.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe all the Sharks need is a coaching change midseason? Congrats to Sutter and no one else.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed again.. In our last little poll, I firmly fell in the blow it up and rebuild camp. I would have no problems with a couple years of lack luster standings if they are building for a future run. No way this aging group can compete with a young kings team that is on the rise.

I think I may have missed that poll but to be clear - I am on the bandwagon for acquiring as many draft picks as possible. Our core, in a few different versions (and frustratingly, with the same GM and Coach as the Kings) has had its 5-7 years to run at the cup. I am not convinced that the Sharks are anything like the Red Wings where a few key people can get plugged in and "Yzerman" can wheel around on one leg and win a championship.

I think they need to seriously look at the bang we are getting for our buck and start getting realistic about these no trade clauses. I would really like to see our team win one - but does anyone here honestly feel like we can get past Vancouver, Chicago, LA, Phoenix, and whoever else stand up next year?

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a separate post - I do want to congratulate the LA Kings. Not my team, but I cannot argue with what they accomplished in the playoffs and Stanley Cup. THAT is the way you go and TAKE the damn cup home.

Well done gents.. at a minimum I can tell all my east coast friends to shut it after that pounding tonight.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Kings and loved every minute of them hoisting the cup last night. Much deserved for a hard working team. Congrats to them!

Yeah, I'm jealous but still... they're a good young team with (mostly) guys I have no problem rooting for. Unlike the fucking Ducks, which I will forever hate.

Anyway, carry on...

CJdublé

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Congrats to the Kings, it was great watching them tear it up throughout the playoffs.

From ESPN, I love number 5!

1. Shot-blocking is bad for the game. I'm not exactly a John Tortorella apologist, but the crud going around that the Rangers' shot-blocking is bad for hockey is from people who just don't know the game. Hockey is a game of sacrifice; the Stanley Cup playoffs are two months of intense sacrifice with everything on the line. Are defenders supposed to step out of the way like flamingos and let long bombs rocket their way to the net, when one goal could be the difference between winning and offseason? No. One thousand times no.

2. Home-ice advantage is essential to success. The Kings won it all from the No. 8 seed because the depth, momentum and teamwork they brought into the playoffs meant they were able to roll four lines no matter which marble-esplanade palace they were playing in. No need to have the last change to match checking against scoring when you're on that kind of a roll.

3. Special teams have to fire on all cylinders. This is only a partial lie. A good postseason power play is a bonus, but an effective penalty-killing unit is essential. We've heard ad nauseam about last year's Bruins and this year's Kings not having great power plays, but if your PK ain't blocking, then you are walking.

4. Martin Brodeur is washed-up. Brodeur's legacy is tarnished in the eyes of some because he won Cups in the previous two decades with a Devils team that put defense first. This season should earn the well-respected stopper even more respect: the system in front of him changed drastically from the Jacques Lemaire days, yet there he was -- at 40, no less -- stopping the heck out of the puck. For Brodeur, 40 is the new 35.

5. Growing a beard is not essential to winning a Cup. Did you see the soup catchers on those Kings? Devils captain Zach Parise was clean-shaven. Need I say more?

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Bernier:

"You take the man out of the Sharks, but you can't take Sharks out of the man"

All-time playoff boneheaded play. Right up there with Steve Smith :(

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Kings and loved every minute of them hoisting the cup last night. Much deserved for a hard working team. Congrats to them!

Yeah, I'm jealous but still... they're a good young team with (mostly) guys I have no problem rooting for. Unlike the fucking Ducks, which I will forever hate.

Anyway, carry on...

heh - its almost like I wrote your post. I have a hard time not pulling for a team that put that sort of effort out there. That being said, I hate ANA as well.. just a collection of goons and douche bags.

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After watching the intensity and grit displayed by most of the playoff teams, and especially the Kings, it is clear to me why the Sharks cannot compete. I do not remember the Sharks displaying that level of intensity for more than a few minutes in any game, including in the playoffs. They can come out for the first 5 minutes and play at that level, but then it is back to the laid back, ho-hum type of game. That is one of the reasons a 2 or 3 goal lead is never safe for the Sharks. Their intensity level just drops off of the cliff.

The Kings, Devils, and most other teams put it all on the line for a full 60 minutes or more each and every playoff game. Blocking shots, hard hits, speed, never letting up. INTENSE!! The Sharks just do not have that type of team. The players don't have it, and it doesn't appear that they are coached that way.

The Sharks are a pretty good hockey team. They are NOT cup contenders, and will not be until they can match or exceed the intensity of the true contenders.