• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Format

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of the current playoff format. I think it is a mess but will stay around so ESPN and talk radio can keep the talk and bitching going around and getting better ratings. I call this the BCS +2 format. It really seems no different. Some thoughts on the process.

1. Are they looking for the best team or most deserving team? Take Ohio State, while I love to see them get screwed, the talking heads believe that they should have no chance since they lost to VT earlier in the season. Really, they look like they would be a good matchup for the SEC teams everyone is touting.

2. Baylor v. TCU- Baylors loss to us is now considered a "bad loss" by the talking heads. My take is that Baylor is the better team. When they played us, they lost their best OL before the game and lost another one during the game. The backup could not stop Shaquille Riddick who made 4 sacks and changed the game. I also look at the Trickett to White factor; against Baylor, we threw deep multiple times resulting in big plays and 6 Pass Interference calls. against TCU, Trickett never went deep to White (shoulder issues maybe), and the refs called nothing. We also did not fumble 5 times against Baylor. I think that Baylor poses more matchup problems for the SEC team(s) that make it in. Does TCUs win against Minnesota make them a better, or more deserving team?

3. In the end, this is just a popularity contest. I would much rather see a situation where a team can say if we keep winning, we will be in instead of looking and counting the teams that must lose for you to have a chance. If you hae 5 conferences and 4 teams, limit the committee and the subjective factors and let them exclude one of the conference champs instead of making arbitrary picks influenced by polls, money and ESPN.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said.....I think this method sucks just like the BCS sucked. 8 or 16 team playoff is what I want. Heck I would even take a 10 team with one and two getting bye week. But all these damn formulas based on biased ranking sucks. They have a defending champion who no one can seem to beat moving down the boards...

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I really like the new playoff, and I agree with the talking heads that it does make the regular season quite relevant. I think it is a big improvement over the BCS, but the BCS was a huge improvement over the old system: see 1973 Bama crowned National Champions before they lost their bowl game to ND. I'm old enough to remember the kaos of sportswriters picking the NC so let’s get through the inaugural season of the playoffs and see how it unwinds

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a step in the right direction. As we don't know the final results yet, it is too early for me to comment on the popularity aspect of it. However, I am happy to see the rankings reflect SOS to this point of the season.

I believe this format is short lived. It will expand to 8 teams soon.

To your points…

1. tOSU still has a chance to move upwards. But, when evaluating the 1-loss teams you not only have to look at their terrible loss to VT, but you have to consider they've beaten 1 team of significance… MSU on the road. They don't deserve to be any higher based on their resume.

2. The BU vs TCU controversy is an interesting one. Again… if the committee is to use a metric system to evaluate each team, the fact that BU played a joke of an OOC has to hurt them. They took a gamble, and it may end up costing them.

3. I love the fact that the playoff has kept all of us college football junkies interested in the game. No longer will preseason polls wrongly keep teams with preseason lofty ranking undeservedly higher throughout the course of the season. And, I love the tentacle effect of this year. To evaluate each of the top teams, we have to keep looking at the results of teams they've beaten in the past. ND losing to ASU had a huge effect on FSU. BU and TCU fans will closely watch how Minnesota plays this weekend against tOSU.

IMO, it has made the college football season even better. I am a big fan….

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why Baylors OOC will cost them....has anyone looked at Miss St?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch what happens to them when they lose this Saturday…

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could not agree more, the 4 team model with 5 conferences is taylor made for controversy. IMO the 4 team playoff was a bargaining tool to keep the team numbers low until sceptics see how much call there would be for more playoff teams. These P5 conferences are in position to get what they want now, telling ANY of them no when it comes to their champion making the post season will cause shouting from the rooftops and IMO a day in the not so distant future when the powers that be give us the "the people have spoken" statement ushering us into the new playoff system involving more teams . Id guess 6 or 8 ,I don't think they will risk the regular season by having more than that.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch what happens to them when they lose this Saturday…

I would love to see them win this week then lose to Mizzou in the conference championship. Ohio State in SEC out.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see them win this week then lose to Mizzou in the conference championship. Ohio State in SEC out.

Or Bama wins this week then loses to Auburn and MSU loses to Ole Miss. More likely imo.

I think that would get the ball rolling as far as expanding the playoff sooner than planned. Say what you will about the SEC, if they get shut out altogether those fan bases will make more noise than any other to force a change. That imo is the best thing that can happen for those that want more teams in the playoff.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely… the SEC been bangin' on getting two teams in the playoff since the format was finalized. Imagine the uproar if they get zero teams in this thing…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I really like the new playoff, and I agree with the talking heads that it does make the regular season quite relevant. I think it is a big improvement over the BCS, but the BCS was a huge improvement over the old system: see 1973 Bama crowned National Champions before they lost their bowl game to ND. I'm old enough to remember the kaos of sportswriters picking the NC so let’s get through the inaugural season of the playoffs and see how it unwinds

I don't consider this a playoff, half of the teams in div 1A are not eligible to "win" when the season starts. I liked the old system better, when the "national championship" was viewed just as a topic around the water cooler. The bowl alliance, bowl coalition, and BSC were put in place to keep 1984 from happening again. There are ten leagues and four spots.............

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a step in the right direction. As we don't know the final results yet, it is too early for me to comment on the popularity aspect of it. However, I am happy to see the rankings reflect SOS to this point of the season.

To your points…

1. tOSU still has a chance to move upwards. But, when evaluating the 1-loss teams you not only have to look at their terrible loss to VT, but you have to consider they've beaten 1 team of significance… MSU on the road. They don't deserve to be any higher based on their resume.

2. The BU vs TCU controversy is an interesting one. Again… if the committee is to use a metric system to evaluate each team, the fact that BU played a joke of an OOC has to hurt them. They took a gamble, and it may end up costing them.

3. I love the fact that the playoff has kept all of us college football junkies interested in the game. No longer will preseason polls wrongly keep teams with preseason lofty ranking undeservedly higher throughout the course of the season. And, I love the tentacle effect of this year. To evaluate each of the top teams, we have to keep looking at the results of teams they've beaten in the past. ND losing to ASU had a huge effect on FSU. BU and TCU fans will closely watch how Minnesota plays this weekend against tOSU.

IMO, it has made the college football season even better. I am a big fan….
I disagree completely with the notion that preseason polls are not skewing the results, remember, there are teams getting credit now for beating "top five" teams that are not even mentioned in the polls now.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree completely with the notion that preseason polls are not skewing the results, remember, there are teams getting credit now for beating "top five" teams that are not even mentioned in the polls now.

Really? Which teams?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fair point, Ill be interested to see how they lean next year after this committee has a year under its belt of doing this.
I may be wrong but I feel that they have a formula for the rankings (dunno what exactly) and use that more than anything else. I don't think there is NEAR as much debating behind the scenes about who should be where as they let on.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong but I feel that they have a formula for the rankings (dunno what exactly) and use that more than anything else. I don't think there is NEAR as much debating behind the scenes about who should be where as they let on.

I was trying to think of what type of formula the committee might use for their rankings.
Using the playoff committee's top 10 I used the WVSSAC system (WV high schools start their playoffs this week) to see how their opinions match up.
WV has 3 levels, AAA( I use as the P5 level) , AA ( I used as the D1 non P5 level) and A (used as the non D1 schools).
The formula is:
12 points per win + a bonus point for every game a defeated opponent wins over an opponent of the same level (P5 school = AAA school in our case as WVU fans).
9 points per win over a non P5 (AA) and no bonus points.
6 points for a win over a non D1 opponent no bonus points.
Loses count for zero points
I took total number of points and divided by number of games to date to get rating:
1. Florida State. 13.8
2. Oregon 12.5
3. TCU. 12.1
4. Mississippi State. 12
4. Alabama. 12
6. Arizona State. 11.8
7. Baylor. 11.1
7. Ohio State. 11.1
9. Auburn. 10.4
10. Ole Miss. 9.4

To get it EXACTLY how their system would rank the teams then I would need to do all teams in the P5 plus I would use Notre Dame and BYU as P5 and the other Indy's as non P5 but....aint nobody got time fuh dat.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD,

Do you have the list of Stewart's DL recruits? I've been waiting pretty patiently...