• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Player Bets On Baseball Game, Faces Ban

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time you read a headline like that?

If baseball really wants to get rid of the PED problem, they need to put the fear of God in the players, and that means imposing a lifetime ban from baseball on the very first offense. When was the last time you read or heard about a gambling problem in baseball; probably the Pete Rose scandal?

Players don’t bet on Baseball because they fear banishment from the game. A penalty that does not impose fear is no penalty. If they placed a lifetime ban for the first offense no player in the world would ever put anything into their body that wasn’t legal again.

Until this happens the problem will never go away and the question can justifiably be asked: Does baseball really want it to?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to say MLB is being too easy on these guys but the other major sports aren't doing a damn thing about it in comparison. At least the ball is rolling.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If baseball really wants to get rid of the PED problem, they need to put the fear of God in the players, and that means imposing a lifetime ban from baseball on the very first offense. When was the last time you read or heard about a gambling problem in baseball; probably the Pete Rose scandal?

Players don’t bet on Baseball because they fear banishment from the game. A penalty that does not impose fear is no penalty. If they placed a lifetime ban for the first offense no player in the world would ever put anything into their body that wasn’t legal again.

Until this happens the problem will never go away and the question can justifiably be asked: Does baseball really want it to?

When you say baseball, are you referring to commish? owners? Union? players? all of the above?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say baseball, are you referring to commish? owners? Union? players? all of the above?

The commissioner and the owners.

It would be a fight, no doubt and they may even lose the fight, but I believe it's a fight worth having.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But in the case of PEDs, the punishment wouldn't fit the crime. And you're never going to eradicate use, no matter what, because the guys who create the drugs are always going to be two steps ahead of the testing program. PEDs really aren't that big a deal at the end of the day. So a guy injects something to hit a baseball a little further, throw it a little harder, or recover from an injury. Is that really that big a deal? Baseball seems to be the only sport where anyone cares.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in the case of PEDs, the punishment wouldn't fit the crime. And you're never going to eradicate use, no matter what, because the guys who create the drugs are always going to be two steps ahead of the testing program. PEDs really aren't that big a deal at the end of the day. So a guy injects something to hit a baseball a little further, throw it a little harder, or recover from an injury. Is that really that big a deal? Baseball seems to be the only sport where anyone cares.

Yep, and this is a debate that will always go on, I think. Greenies have been used forever and even as far back as the '30's, there were guys that drank monkey testicle milkshakes. I dislike Bonds and A-Rod not so much for PED use as for the fact that they were/are Grade-A assholes. Same with Braun-I hope that sample-handler sues the pious prick for every penny he has.

But I digress...my point is, give everyone the same opportunity to use them, and I don't think I have a problem with it. Gonna happen sooner or later, anyway.

Demetrios37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think if professional football players signed long term guaranteed contracts like baseball players do than the NFL might take a a similar approach. MLB is carrying the fight against PED's for one simple reason... The teams stand to lose the most from an artificially bulked up player signing a huge contract then playing like shit because they stopped doping but still collecting the guaranteed money. It simply doesn't happen in other sports to the extent that it does it MLB... Look at the names and numbers and tell me MLB doesn't have a monopoly on what amounts to fraud. and you'll see what I mean. The top 25 players are almost exclusively MLB players and we know which ones took illegal enhancements.. well maybe you don't but I do :P
Others on the list include an auto racer and a soccer star- both of whom are as deserving of their money as any other star athlete, Floyd Mayweather earned his money more than anyone on the list IMHO with the possible exception of Kobe Bryant who was so committed to excellence nobody would deny he earned every cent. And when his skill deteriorate he'll stop playing instead of pulling a Derek Jeter who was a broken man in 2011 and was still somehow elected to the all star game after a anemic first half. Instead of playing he skipped the 2011 All Star game so he can go to Florida to begin a quick PED cycle allowing him to put decidedly unJeter like offensive numbers in the 2nd half. He was also negotiating a new contract at the time. Go Figure.....
These problems seem to occur to the Yankees at a suspiciously high rate, this that was also observed by buck showalter.
It doesn't take a fucking genius to see why MLB is a little more active then the NHL or the NBA. The NFL just cuts and stops paying any player they aren't making money on. (ie helping them win) a little harsh but probably better than what baseball does.

Demetrios37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and this is a debate that will always go on, I think. Greenies have been used forever and even as far back as the '30's, there were guys that drank monkey testicle milkshakes. I dislike Bonds and A-Rod not so much for PED use as for the fact that they were/are Grade-A assholes. Same with Braun-I hope that sample-handler sues the pious prick for every penny he has.

But I digress...my point is, give everyone the same opportunity to use them, and I don't think I have a problem with it. Gonna happen sooner or later, anyway.

Spoken like a true WWE Fan. If MLB embrace the artificial performance enhancers like the WWE allegedly has you'll have the fake muscles and we can wonder if bench clearing brawls following the battle royal wrestling script are next.

YeeeHaaaa I voted for Bush!!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason you'll never get the PA to agree to a punishment like this is that it's much more possible to take a supplement and accidentally test positive than it is to accidentally make a bet on a game.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if professional football players signed long term guaranteed contracts like baseball players do than the NFL might take a a similar approach. MLB is carrying the fight against PED's for one simple reason... The teams stand to lose the most from an artificially bulked up player signing a huge contract then playing like shit because they stopped doping but still collecting the guaranteed money. It simply doesn't happen in other sports to the extent that it does it MLB... Look at the names and numbers and tell me MLB doesn't have a monopoly on what amounts to fraud. and you'll see what I mean. The top 25 players are almost exclusively MLB players and we know which ones took illegal enhancements.. well maybe you don't but I do :P
Others on the list include an auto racer and a soccer star- both of whom are as deserving of their money as any other star athlete, Floyd Mayweather earned his money more than anyone on the list IMHO with the possible exception of Kobe Bryant who was so committed to excellence nobody would deny he earned every cent. And when his skill deteriorate he'll stop playing instead of pulling a Derek Jeter who was a broken man in 2011 and was still somehow elected to the all star game after a anemic first half. Instead of playing he skipped the 2011 All Star game so he can go to Florida to begin a quick PED cycle allowing him to put decidedly unJeter like offensive numbers in the 2nd half. He was also negotiating a new contract at the time. Go Figure.....
These problems seem to occur to the Yankees at a suspiciously high rate, this that was also observed by buck showalter.
It doesn't take a fucking genius to see why MLB is a little more active then the NHL or the NBA. The NFL just cuts and stops paying any player they aren't making money on. (ie helping them win) a little harsh but probably better than what baseball does.
Are you serious with this? PED use is rampant throughout football and no one cares. The structure of the contracts they sign has nothing to do with it. If anything, the contracts are more of a reason for a player to use PEDs. They're pieces of meat who are discarded without a second thought. You need to make as much money as you can in the short window you have. As long as the player performs, the team doesn't care what they're taking. If anything, it's encouraged.

Suspiciously high rate with the Yankees? I don't see it that way. I've seen just as many juicers coming out of the Giants clubhouse, and the Athletics clubhouse and the Orioles clubhouse and the Rangers clubhouse. All teams had their steroid guys. If a preponderance of Yankees have been exposed, it's because a.) they're the most heavily followed, polarizing team, so a story about a Yankee using steroids is bigger news than any other team, so the media hunts for those stories more and the "source" are willing to leak those names because they get a bigger pay off; and b.) Brian McNamee is one of the few people to name names. What team did he work for? That's right, the Yankees. The Mitchell Report contained so many Yankees because their primary witness came from the Yankee locker room. There were quite a few Mets and Dodgers in there too because the other witness (Radomski) worked for those teams. Do you really not see that pattern?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoken like a true WWE Fan. If MLB embrace the artificial performance enhancers like the WWE allegedly has you'll have the fake muscles and we can wonder if bench clearing brawls following the battle royal wrestling script are next.

YeeeHaaaa I voted for Bush!!

Okay....I barely know what the WWE is, and have no idea what voting for anyone has to do with this, so...

NEXT.