• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PK insights

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From the merc:

“This was the first practice that we’ve had in a long time,” McLellan said. “We were reviewing a lot of different areas and resetting things for guys who’ve been here and clarifying for the new guys.”

Those new guys, of course, are Dominic Moore, Daniel Winnik and TJ Galiardi. For instance, Winnik talked about how the Sharks play a more read-and-react style on the PK as opposed to a more attacking style in Colorado.

“Everybody has to be on the same page,” Moore added. “But the games are where that really needs to happen.”

Gee, maybe the "read and React" coaching style is indeed the problem as I have suspected all along. Glad that Tmac is taking the better strategy of other teams (not that colorado at 17th is all that good) out of the new acquisitions and instilling the sharks 28th ranked strategy. Brilliant. Truly brilliant.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Almost all PK's are read and react, high pressure on the point men then scramble back down low. Other then that its a passive box.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Almost all PK's are read and react, high pressure on the point men then scramble back down low. Other then that its a passive box.

clearly it's different than in colorado, otherwise winnik wouldnt have commented on it. I think the sharks play a passive box always. They dont pressure much at all anywhere, hoping to just block shots or cross-ice passes (obviously very poorly).

Also, there is a clearly a systematic difference between the sharks at 77% and montreal near 90%. that is not a statistically insignificant difference, neither is NJ's 89% with 14 SHG compared to the sharks' 3. Clearly the sharks system does not work and some other teams' does. It's a coaching difference, not just players.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the merc:

“This was the first practice that we’ve had in a long time,” McLellan said. “We were reviewing a lot of different areas and resetting things for guys who’ve been here and clarifying for the new guys.”

Those new guys, of course, are Dominic Moore, Daniel Winnik and TJ Galiardi. For instance, Winnik talked about how the Sharks play a more read-and-react style on the PK as opposed to a more attacking style in Colorado.

“Everybody has to be on the same page,” Moore added. “But the games are where that really needs to happen.”

Gee, maybe the "read and React" coaching style is indeed the problem as I have suspected all along. Glad that Tmac is taking the better strategy of other teams (not that colorado at 17th is all that good) out of the new acquisitions and instilling the sharks 28th ranked strategy. Brilliant. Truly brilliant.

The problems was the coaching staff left it up to Mitchell and Handzus to run the PK the first half of the year.

Per Pollak's WTC Blog

Finally, Handzus and Mitchell have been given extra responsibility for the team’s penalty kill unit as the Sharks look to improve on the 24th place finish of last season. “It’s their team within a team,” McLellan said. “They’re in charge of it, they’re going to take the pulse.”

When the coaching staff took back the PK responsibilities fully and moved from an umbrella 2-1-1 to a simplified box 2-1-1 system the PK improved. It's clicking at a middle of the pack percentage now but has definately been much improved and no longer a huge issue.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problems was the coaching staff left it up to Mitchell and Handzus to run the PK the first half of the year.

Per Pollak's WTC Blog

When the coaching staff took back the PK responsibilities fully and moved from an umbrella 2-1-1 to a simplified box 2-1-1 system the PK improved. It's clicking at a middle of the pack percentage now but has definately been much improved and no longer a huge issue.

so zues goes from one of the best PKers in the league to one of the worst in 6 months? Makes no sense.

Also, I dont think they are much improved form earlier on. I forget what their percentage was earlier, but I feel is had been around 75-78% for basically the whole year. maybe they are clower to 80% since midyear, but it's not a big difference. They still suck. Since feb 1st, they have given up PP goals in 9 of 16 games (13 goals total over those 16 games in 52 chances = 75%).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so zues goes from one of the best PKers in the league to one of the worst in 6 months? Makes no sense.

Also, I dont think they are much improved form earlier on. I forget what their percentage was earlier, but I feel is had been around 75-78% for basically the whole year. maybe they are clower to 80% since midyear, but it's not a big difference. They still suck. Since feb 1st, they have given up PP goals in 9 of 16 games (13 goals total over those 16 games in 52 chances = 75%).

Prior to the change they were just under 76% on the PK. Since January 1st which is the opproximate date the coaching staff took back control they have been killing penalties at about an 82% clip which is middle of the pack. If it stays at that rate then the PK isn't an issue.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Prior to the change they were just under 76% on the PK. Since January 1st which is the opproximate date the coaching staff took back control they have been killing penalties at about an 82% clip which is middle of the pack. If it stays at that rate then the PK isn't an issue.

I think the mat must be off. If they were 75.5% on jan 1, and went 82% from then, they would be around 78.5 or 79% now. I am guessing they more like 79% since then. Anyways, it's still pretty bad and it was a big big part of the recent losing streak.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the mat must be off. If they were 75.5% on jan 1, and went 82% from then, they would be around 78.5 or 79% now. I am guessing they more like 79% since then. Anyways, it's still pretty bad and it was a big big part of the recent losing streak.

Prior to the Blues game they were 63 of 77 on the PK since Jan 1st. which is 81.8%.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why on earth would they think an umbrella PK is a good idea in the first place

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Prior to the Blues game they were 63 of 77 on the PK since Jan 1st. which is 81.8%.

oh ok... I guess including the blues game they were 66 of 82 or 80.4% which is where my math came from. 80.4% would put them 23rd and 81.8% would be 18th. Still not too good even after the 'adjustment'.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a bit misleading and Mark Emmons clarified in the comments that the "read-and-react" part was his interpretation and that Winnik only mentioned reading the play, etc.

BIG difference, IMO.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the PK, it should be an ever-evolving process. There's no one right way to kill penalties. If there were, every team would do it. As a coach, you have to play to the strengths of your team. Playing a high pressure system with Pavelski and Handzus out there is going to lead to players out of position. Playing a contained box where players read the play is probably going to get lost on high energy guys like Mitchell.

That's why guys like Dave Tippett are so successful. They adapt to what they have on their roster. He's known as a boring defensive minded coach now, but he was an excellent PP coach when he was with the Kings (if memory serves me correctly). If Tippett coached the Sharks, I doubt they'd be a defense first team that collapsed down low.

Saying that it's all "system" or all "players" is a little short-sighted in my humble opinion. Sometimes the system can hide the weaknesses of players, but sometimes the players can pick up the coaches as well.