• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pitchers and Catchers Report In....

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it can't really be about the picture, since your original post didn't show it, and you asked "Interesting to find an odd thing on his 1965 and 1966 baseball cards. Can you find it?"

Is it about the fact that it mainly talks about his minor league career, and lists his minor league stats? That's true of Murakami & Hiatt as well, on the same cards - I guess that's just the way they did it at that time.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first card lists him a left handed and his second as right handed...

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also be there 3/19 through 3/22.

Unless Nolan shows up and frightens me again....

I should be there from the 16th to the 22nd.

I'll be there 15th-21st. I really hate renting cars in Phx. They gouge the hell out of you w/surcharges.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Nolan face to face. You have my condolences. :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be there 15th-21st. I really hate renting cars in Phx. They gouge the hell out of you w/surcharges.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Nolan face to face. You have my condolences. :)

It's a reference to a classic tz/Nolan fight back in the Disney days. Your were around, how could you have missed that one?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a reference to a classic tz/Nolan fight back in the Disney days. Your were around, how could you have missed that one?
It may have predated my joining. I was there for the '10 campaign, but not much before that, I don't think. I'm gettin' older ya know? :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may have predated my joining. I was there for the '10 campaign, but not much before that, I don't think. I'm gettin' older ya know? :)

This fight was '08 or '09...

I thought you were around earlier than that.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Random tip renting cars (anywhere in the U.S.) : don't EVER rent at the airport, as it is up to 2x more expensive at the airport (extra taxes/fees AND the company just charging more).

What I do is : since Enterprise 'picks you up' (anywhere but airport), I simply leave the airport, go to the closest hotel (often jumping on free hotel shuttle) and then call them to pick me up. On the way back to airport, I take a taxi from closest Enterprise back to the airport. Doing that saved me over $200 last time I was in Florida (over a week's rental, though).

It's not worth the extra time and effort if you're only there for a day or two, but 5 days or more, it can be very useful.

1- use maps.google.com and search for : enterprise car rental Phoenix AZ

2- go to Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low, Affordable Rates and see how much it would cost at a location that definitely isn't at the airport (like the one at 4121 South Central Avenue).

3- Now look up how much it would cost to rent same car at airport

Now you know the price difference.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random tip renting cars (anywhere in the U.S.) : don't EVER rent at the airport, as it is up to 2x more expensive at the airport (extra taxes/fees AND the company just charging more).

What I do is : since Enterprise 'picks you up' (anywhere but airport), I simply leave the airport, go to the closest hotel (often jumping on free hotel shuttle) and then call them to pick me up. On the way back to airport, I take a taxi from closest Enterprise back to the airport. Doing that saved me over $200 last time I was in Florida (over a week's rental, though).

It's not worth the extra time and effort if you're only there for a day or two, but 5 days or more, it can be very useful.

2- go to Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low, Affordable Rates and see how much it would cost at a location that definitely isn't at the airport (like the one at 4121 South Central Avenue).

Shill

:boink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A quick peek yielded these prices for and intermediate car: 4121 s central: $184.94/day total

Sky Harbor: same car: $78.95/day total

I'll look into this more later on as I haven't made the car reservations yet. I do have tix, hotel and airfare tho. Thanks for the tip though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The prices this year are OUT OF CONTROL. We usually stay at the Old Town Hilton Place and it's overpriced at $300/night. So last year we had one of our meals at the Phonecian which was $425 a night and decided that we'd pony up a few extra bucks and stay at a nicer place in 2015.....

Then, we found out the Phoenician is $775 a night and the Hilton is over $400....fucking outrageous.

But, whatever. We've got a title to defend. #firstworldproblems.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you savvy bastard! :suds:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say-hey-the-catch-in-color.jpg

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prices this year are OUT OF CONTROL. We usually stay at the Old Town Hilton Place and it's overpriced at $300/night. So last year we had one of our meals at the Phonecian which was $425 a night and decided that we'd pony up a few extra bucks and stay at a nicer place in 2015.....

Then, we found out the Phoenician is $775 a night and the Hilton is over $400....fucking outrageous.

But, whatever. We've got a title to defend. #firstworldproblems.
Haha, dude you're out of my league. :) I will add that one of the surcharges on the car rental was a FRIGGIN' SPRING TRAINING TAX, I kid you not.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick peek yielded these prices for and intermediate car: 4121 s central: $184.94/day total

Sky Harbor: same car: $78.95/day total

I'll look into this more later on as I haven't made the car reservations yet. I do have tix, hotel and airfare tho. Thanks for the tip though.

That's strange ... I just did the same search (on the EnterP website) and got :

an intermediate car: 4121 s central: $124.44 total (for a 3 day period, Mar10-Mar 13)
{{ which includes :
VEHICLE LICENSE TAX $ 5.25 USD
SPRING TRAINING CACTUS LG TAX $ 3.41 USD
SALES TAX $ 10.81 USD
}}

Sky Harbor: same car: $369.04 total (same 3 day period)
{{ which includes :
CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 6.00/DAY $ 18.00 USD
MAINTENANCE FEE 0.70/DAY $ 2.10 USD
CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE 11.11PCT $ 29.33 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE SURCHARGE 5 PCT $ 15.56 USD
STADIUM SURCHARGE $ 10.12 USD
TRANS PRIV TAX $ 32.06 USD
}}

The charges/fees in Italics seem to be specific to the airport location, so you can see why it's so much more expensive. Heck the "CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE" is more than the daily rental price of the car at the other location! Now, I picked mid-week pricing because I was too lazy to re-read and see if you actually mentioned the dates you were going. I find it both funny and sad that there is a "SPRING TRAINING CACTUS LG TAX".

You can also use Kayak to find and compare "cheap car rentals" : KAYAK - Cheap Car Rentals - Rental Car Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once

Kayak seem to price "intermediate" cars at $41-$44/day *IN TOWN, NOT airport* for Enterprise & Hertz (maybe before, maybe after taxes and fees)

Hotwire gives $35-$36 for same (prob before taxes & fees)

priceline also gives $34-$36 for same (prob before taxes & fees)

Ditto CarRentals.com

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most cities/airports/rental comps around the U.S. will screw you if you rent at the airport.

I pick Enterprise because it saves me the price of a taxi ride out to another site. And they are often among the lowest priced, except for rent-a-wreck places, which I've done before. (You may need to bring proof of your private insurance if you go to a rent-a-wreck, as they save money by insuring the cars at a minimum, and using the driver's insurance for problems).

There IS a franchise in Phoenix, and they provide pick-up and drop-off service at the airport.

https://www.rentawreck.com/cheap-car-rental-phoenix-AZ.htm

Unfortunately, it's MORE expensive than the off-site rental places (but less than the other on-airport rental prices).

I stumbled across : Payless Car Rental | Rental Cars at Discount Rates , which has ON airport prices comparable to the other companies OFF airport prices. I don't know anything about them, they could be total douchebags that are quoting a low-ball price without fees/taxes.

Anyhow, have fun in the sun!!

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey MP, I didn't even plug in dates. I just looked at the daily rate for who knows what date which may have flawed the results. :doh: