• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick 50: CB Jaylon Johnson

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's from Utah. Had committed to USC but then switched when they made a coaching change. His speed isn't stellar but the scouting report says he's a fiery competitor and a top technician. Looks like Pace didn't have a lot of confidence in the trio of Tolliver/Roberson/Burns so Johnson figures to be the favorite to grab the starting job.

Assuming we don't get a guy who emerges as a starting safety in the 5th or beyond, looks like we'll be going into the season with Deon Bush as the starter at SS. Maybe there will be a cut or something we can bring in for competition though, remains to be seen.

Thoughts on Johnson?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a first rd talent, and likely would've been, if not for an injury. Solid technique, but struggled to get takeaways.

He'll be good competition, but I actually think Tolliver gets the start and most playing time.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything i'm reading about him so far is that he's a steal at 50. And he's supposedly healthy.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading more about him, he really fits Pace's "i'm all in for this year" approach. If Mack, Hicks and Quinn are the pass rushing force that they can be, we'll need corners like Johnson who press well. There won't be as much importance on being able to cover long.

Pace probably plans on the defense playing a lot of nickel with Mack, Hicks, Quinn and one of RRH/Nichols/Goldman up front, Roquan and Tevathan at LB with Fuller/Johnson/SKrine at CB and Jackson/Bush. It lessens the need for a downhill safety if that's the case.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading more about him, he really fits Pace's "i'm all in for this year" approach. If Mack, Hicks and Quinn are the pass rushing force that they can be, we'll need corners like Johnson who press well. There won't be as much importance on being able to cover long.

Pace probably plans on the defense playing a lot of nickel with Mack, Hicks, Quinn and one of RRH/Nichols/Goldman up front, Roquan and Tevathan at LB with Fuller/Johnson/SKrine at CB and Jackson/Bush. It lessens the need for a downhill safety if that's the case.

Corner is more important than safety in this scenario (honestly, it's more important, in general). But man.... I do worry about rolling with Bush a bit.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corner is more important than safety in this scenario (honestly, it's more important, in general). But man.... I do worry about rolling with Bush a bit.
I'm sure Pace will take a safety with one of his final picks. Out of all the positions in football, I feel S, especially SS, can produce hidden gems in the late rounds. And then there's UDFAs, then eventually roster cuts. A lot of sources remain.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Pace will take a safety with one of his final picks. Out of all the positions in football, I feel S, especially SS, can produce hidden gems in the late rounds. And then there's UDFAs, then eventually roster cuts. A lot of sources remain.

No debate there. We've gotten a lot of good safeties in the mid-later rounds if you look back over the last two decades. Jackson himself was a 4th round pick. So, we shall see.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No debate there. We've gotten a lot of good safeties in the mid-later rounds if you look back over the last two decades. Jackson himself was a 4th round pick. So, we shall see.
And wasn't Adrian Amos a 5th or 6th rounder? Can't remember, but I know he was a late pick.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And wasn't Adrian Amos a 5th or 6th rounder? Can't remember, but I know he was a late pick.

Yeah, 5th round. As was Bobby Grey. Mike Green started for us for a few years. He's one of the better "Mr. Irrelevant" stories. Last overall pick in the draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 5th round. As was Bobby Grey. Mike Green started for us for a few years. He's one of the better "Mr. Irrelevant" stories. Last overall pick in the draft.
Forgot about ol' Mikey there. He was a starter for only the early part of his career if I recall, but for a few seasons, he was a pretty damn good safety and considering he was a Mr. Irrelevant, you could say he was a solid find.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I think the defense can't get any nastier they they pull this off?! This kid has made an already secondary more elite.

With him in the line up it will be that morw impossible to pass and leave QBs at the mercy of Mack and Quinn.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're right. I think we have some depth at the CB spot opposite Fuller, but it's fair to say that the Bears weren't terribly confident in that group with respect to being starting material, having used a 2nd rounder on this guy. A lot of rave reviews on him. If he truly is healthy going into the season, he could be the leading candidate for that other CB spot.