• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies grades right now

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been great, no doubt about it. I really think the Yanks might bite on a trade offer and give up a half-decent prospect

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, "grades" are given because of a culmination of things. If you want to rate Howard and Revere's production non-subjectively, I'd be glad to do so. After three straight seasons of 1.5, -1.1, and 0.4 WARs, a 0.2 WAR for Howard through June doesn't seem that bad.

If you project Howard's WAR (using baseballreference's version) over a full season, it would be the 2nd worst of his career, and significantly worse than last year (had a 0.8 WAR last year in 80 games, and 0.1 this year in 71 games).

And then we can look at his OPS being 30 points lower than the MLB 1B average and also double digit points lower than the cleanup hitter average, and I'd say his season looks more like a C than a B.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you project Howard's WAR (using baseballreference's version) over a full season, it would be the 2nd worst of his career, and significantly worse than last year (had a 0.8 WAR last year in 80 games, and 0.1 this year in 71 games).

And then we can look at his OPS being 30 points lower than the MLB 1B average and also double digit points lower than the cleanup hitter average, and I'd say his season looks more like a C than a B.

Howard was projected by Fangraphs to have a 0.2 WAR for 2014, so nah, I'll stick with a B, but thanks for the input

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 0.2 WAR in 61 games is what his project was...so the fact that he has a lower WAR in more games is a positive to you?

He has an equal WAR, so yes. And Steamer projected a 0.1 WAR over 76 games, so 0.2 in 71 games isn't half bad. Thus, a B. Decent. Passable. OK.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has an equal WAR, so yes. And Steamer projected a 0.1 WAR over 76 games, so 0.2 in 71 games isn't half bad. Thus, a B. Decent. Passable. OK.

Merely meeting expectations for a poor season isn't B worthy.

What you've posted above shows that he is barelypassing, which doesn't look like a B grade to me. Don't we all know from school grades that a B is pretty good, and a C or D is barely passing (unless there are curves, you don't get a B for barely passing a test/class).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't we all know from school grades that a B is pretty good, and a C or D is barely passing? What you've posted above shows that he is barely passing, which doesn't look like a B grade to me.

I went to a private school. B was OK. C was bad and a D meant your ass was retarded. I don't think we're disagreeing about his actual value so let's stop wasting each other's times over some letter grade bullshit.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As dismal as Howards WAR stats are he is 4th in RBI's & 7th in HR's in the NL, thus why revere gets a D- & Howard gets at the least a B, he still puts up numbers! I'm not a fan of fatboy or his contract but facts are facts.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the looks of your grades they should be in 1st place lol.

Revere D-
Rollins C
Utley A
Howard B-
Byrd B+
Brown F-
Asche C
Ruiz B-

Brignac A
Mayberry C
Hernandez C
Nieves B
Gwynn D-

Hamels A+
Lee A
Kendrick D
Hernandez D
Buchanan C

De Fratus A+
Diekman D-
Hollands A
Martin D
Giles A
Adams C
Papelbon B+

Huh? Diekman D- ? seriously? He has made about 35 appearances and has had 2 bad games where he gave up 4 earned run...mostly gives up nothing! he has 46 K's in 34 innings...throws 95-100 mph! wow D- ... jeez

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that 4.41 era Jake is sporting sure is screaming I give up nothing! lol

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Diekman D- ? seriously? He has made about 35 appearances and has had 2 bad games where he gave up 4 earned run...mostly gives up nothing! he has 46 K's in 34 innings...throws 95-100 mph! wow D- ... jeez

And Adams a C? As you would say- "Lolol"

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As dismal as Howards WAR stats are he is 4th in RBI's & 7th in HR's in the NL, thus why revere gets a D- & Howard gets at the least a B, he still puts up numbers! I'm not a fan of fatboy or his contract but facts are facts.

Then again, look at Howard's RBI opportunities:

-3rd in majors in total runners on base when they came up to the plate
-2nd in majors in plate appearances with runners on base
-2nd in most plate appearances with a runner on 3rd
-3rd in most plate appearances with a runner on 2nd

And with the last two stats listed: although he's 2nd in most plate appearances with a runner on 3rd, he's not in the top 20 in # of runners driven in from 3rd...and also despite being 3rd in most plate appearances with a runner on 2nd, he's not in the top 10 of runners driven in from 2nd.

So you can certainly make the case that his RBIs are significantly influenced by the number of opportunities he gets, because he isn't driving them in at a top rate. And with a lot of runners on base, he's seeing more fastballs which benefits him (he's seeing a fastball 54% of the time, the highest for him since 2005).

Last edited by a moderator:

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, look at Howard's RBI opportunities:

-3rd in majors in total runners on base when they came up to the plate
-2nd in majors in plate appearances with runners on base
-2nd in most plate appearances with a runner on 3rd
-3rd in most plate appearances with a runner on 2nd

And with the last two stats listed: although he's 2nd in most plate appearances with a runner on 3rd, he's not in the top 20 in # of runners driven in from 3rd...and also despite being 3rd in most plate appearances with a runner on 2nd, he's not in the top 10 of runners driven in from 2nd.

So you can certainly make the case that his RBIs are significantly influenced by the number of opportunities he gets, because he isn't driving them in at a top rate. And with a lot of runners on base, he's seeing more fastballs which benefits him (he's seeing a fastball 54% of the time, the highest for him since 2005).

Great stats!
Howards production is based on chances. He does not produce as much as he should. But who else could bat 4th for the Phillies?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you've posted above shows that he is barelypassing, which doesn't look like a B grade to me. Don't we all know from school grades that a B is pretty good, and a C or D is barely passing (unless there are curves, you don't get a B for barely passing a test/class).

And look at this, a 0.4 WAR now in June. Right on line with most, if not all, projections for him. A 102 wRC+. Mediocre