• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruins 4/5/14 | 1:00pm

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 straight losses couldn't have come at a worse time. We have Buffalo tomorrow night. The Flyers better re-group in a hurry or we are going to be on the outside looking in.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough loss - the dam broke late in the period - I sure as hope the Flyers beat the Sabres, Panthers and Hurricanes the rest of the way - they need to ring off some wins here to end the season and hope the Rangers lose some so that they can still get the 2 seed

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling it's going to be Flyers vs Pens in the 1st round. I'm hoping we get the Blue Jackets & you guys get the Bruins or Canadiens/Lightning but it is what it is. Can't fight destiny.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling it's going to be Flyers vs Pens in the 1st round. I'm hoping we get the Blue Jackets & you guys get the Bruins or Canadiens/Lightning but it is what it is. Can't fight destiny.

Please don't take this as insulting but I'd take that matchup in a second now. First off because it's a great rivalry. Secondly because I think we'd win it in 5-6 due to the overall health of your team (I don't think Shero trade deadline moves were all that good honestly, but that's the first time I can really say that plus I think he out all his chips in on Kesler) and well flower's post season track record again the Flyers isn't good. Thirdly because I want to avoid what is the shittiest ice surface in the NHL at MSG and I think the Jackets could utilize their speed and style to dismantle the Rangers but it would be a 6 or 7 game series due to Lundqvist that is if Bob doesn't implode due to playoff pressure (which I doubt) and they would wear each other out much like what looks like every playoff matchup will both East and West this year.

I personally feel this may be the best year for playoff hockey I've ever seen and I've bee watching for about 22 years now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't take this as insulting but I'd take that matchup in a second now. First off because it's a great rivalry. Secondly because I think we'd win it in 5-6 due to the overall health of your team (I don't think Shero trade deadline moves were all that good honestly, but that's the first time I can really say that plus I think he out all his chips in on Kesler) and well flower's post season track record again the Flyers isn't good. Thirdly because I want to avoid what is the shittiest ice surface in the NHL at MSG and I think the Jackets could utilize their speed and style to dismantle the Rangers but it would be a 6 or 7 game series due to Lundqvist that is if Bob doesn't implode due to playoff pressure (which I doubt) and they would wear each other out much like what looks like every playoff matchup will both East and West this year.

I personally feel this may be the best year for playoff hockey I've ever seen and I've bee watching for about 22 years now.

No insult taken, I agree with your assessment. We're not a good team, we shouldn't even be in the playoffs but for our hot start. If we were a bubble team no way would we get in.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pens have enough firepower to get into the playoffs every year but the playoffs are a different animal and they don't seem to bring that kind of a game anymore. Either way it would be a fun series.

Also keep in mind that the Flyers could only play the other division if they are a wildcard impossible to play Les habs as they aren’t tops in the division until later on in the playoffs.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pens have enough firepower to get into the playoffs every year but the playoffs are a different animal and they don't seem to bring that kind of a game anymore. Either way it would be a fun series.

Also keep in mind that the Flyers could only play the other division if they are a wildcard impossible to play Les habs as they aren’t tops in the division until later on in the playoffs.

Agree ok the Pens point. I actually think that Crosby for the most part plays worse I'm the playoffs and well Malkin & Neal once pissed off can't forget it and since it's during a series continually do dumb things and take penalties. The other side is the Flyers get so pumped to play the Pens it's kinda awesome. My real question is of the Flyers and Pens did play would the winner face the winner of the Jackets and Rags if they played since they're all in the same division or is there reseeding? I have to admit this whole wildcard thing and new playoff format is something I haven't spent much time looking into. It'd be easier if the top 8 teams in each conference made it I think it'd be more fair cause the best teams would make it but the one division could be more heavily represented then another blah blah blah.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Pens and Flyers aren't likely to play each other.

#1 seed plays the #2 wild card
#2 seed plays the #1 wild card
#2 in the division plays against #3 in the division

So as of now the playoff matchups would be,

Blue Jackets vs Bruins
Red Wings vs Penguins
Lightning vs Canadiens
Flyers vs Rangers

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Pens and Flyers aren't likely to play each other.

#1 seed plays the #2 wild card
#2 seed plays the #1 wild card
#2 in the division plays against #3 in the division

So as of now the playoff matchups would be,

Blue Jackets vs Bruins
Red Wings vs Penguins
Lightning vs Canadiens
Flyers vs Rangers

Ok I get that but what about the second round? Is it the way you have it listed with the potential of seeing both division 1 seeds playing each other while the winners of the 2/3 seeds from both divisions battle it out? That wouldn't make much sense I thought the actual bracket would look like and I'll use your current standings.

Bruins vs Blue Jacket
Canadians vs Lightning
Penguins vs Detroit
Rangers vs Flyers

Then the winners of the top 2 play each other straight bracket form is is it and let's oriented either the Bruin and Penguins lose. Would the whole thing get reseeded with the highest originally ranked teamed getting the lowest ranged team left in their conference? If so the who battling for second in each division may not be as important in the Metro because both the Rangers and Flyers trail the Canadians and Lightning in total points so I'd assume they definitely lose home ice where as if it stayed bracket form and the Bruins or Peguons lost they could potentially have home ice in the second round.

Do you see what I'm saying or did I make it too confusing again?

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I get that but what about the second round? Is it the way you have it listed with the potential of seeing both division 1 seeds playing each other while the winners of the 2/3 seeds from both divisions battle it out? That wouldn't make much sense I thought the actual bracket would look like and I'll use your current standings.

Bruins vs Blue Jacket
Canadians vs Lightning
Penguins vs Detroit
Rangers vs Flyers

Then the winners of the top 2 play each other straight bracket form is is it and let's oriented either the Bruin and Penguins lose. Would the whole thing get reseeded with the highest originally ranked teamed getting the lowest ranged team left in their conference? If so the who battling for second in each division may not be as important in the Metro because both the Rangers and Flyers trail the Canadians and Lightning in total points so I'd assume they definitely lose home ice where as if it stayed bracket form and the Bruins or Peguons lost they could potentially have home ice in the second round.

Do you see what I'm saying or did I make it too confusing again?

they break it out in to like, divisional playoffs so it would be:

"altantic"
bruins/blue jackets
canadiens/bolts

"metro"
pens/wings
flyers/rags

the winners of the first round divisional matches play each other (ie, bruins/canadiens and pens/flyers)

then the winners of the divisional playoffs, play each other in the conference finals

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they break it out in to like, divisional playoffs so it would be:

"altantic"
bruins/blue jackets
canadiens/bolts

"metro"
pens/wings
flyers/rags

the winners of the first round divisional matches play each other (ie, bruins/canadiens and pens/flyers)

then the winners of the divisional playoffs, play each other in the conference finals

Ok great that was what I thought and makes the most sense to me at least. God these playoffs will be a blood bath for both conferences.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flaw is being exposed as they were trying to keep the first two rounds within each division but Columbus and Detroit are off kilter. The division winner especially in the west could be traveling more so where's the real advantage in the grand scheme of things? Plus they don't get that rivalry match up only 2 and 3 do. I guess that's the only way in doing it...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flaw is being exposed as they were trying to keep the first two rounds within each division but Columbus and Detroit are off kilter. The division winner especially in the west could be traveling more so where's the real advantage in the grand scheme of things? Plus they don't get that rivalry match up only 2 and 3 do. I guess that's the only way in doing it...

IMO they completely botched the re-organization. maybe they planned on just using this as a stop-gap until they expand? which sounds all but guaranteed at this point. i expect we'll be at 32 teams by 2020 at the latest.

the only redeaming quality IMO is that they kept a few rivalries in the same division. unbalanced conferences and divisions is retarded. the playoff format is wonky. i really don't like how they did it.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep agreed Awaz it's ridiculous. Also the division winners may actually have to play higher seeds! Thanks for putting up the effort in winning your division...

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO they completely botched the re-organization. maybe they planned on just using this as a stop-gap until they expand? which sounds all but guaranteed at this point. i expect we'll be at 32 teams by 2020 at the latest.

the only redeaming quality IMO is that they kept a few rivalries in the same division. unbalanced conferences and divisions is retarded. the playoff format is wonky. i really don't like how they did it.

:agree:

Quick fix

Top 8 teams in each conference,regardless of division.
1 vs 8
2vs 7
3 vs6
4 vs 5
Maybe this is too simple for the simpletons that decided on the new format.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Quick fix

Top 8 teams in each conference,regardless of division.
1 vs 8
2vs 7
3 vs6
4 vs 5
Maybe this is too simple for the simpletons that decided on the new format.

heh, but that would be leaving it the way it was, and who wants to do that! :lol:

i mean, i see their reasoning for the playoff format, and as things stands there's a good chance of getting the rivalry games they wanted to see (bruins/habs, flyers/pens) in round 2 (plus flyers/rags in round 1). if those teams take care of business. so they lined it up properly to get that

it's just wonky when your conferences and divisions are unbalanced, and you end up using wild cards. if they wanted to do this, they should've just committed to it and taken the top 4 in each division.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep but they were worried about a better team being left out...happens in the NFL that's why they are thinking about expanding their playoffs...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep but they were worried about a better team being left out...happens in the NFL that's why they are thinking about expanding their playoffs...

yep, so they split the difference and it's stupid haha

either go for building rivalries, or go for getting the best 16 teams in the conference. when you try to go for both, you just get a convoluted/messed up system