• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson, Knicks finalizing deal

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson and the New York Knicks are expected to finalize a deal that will give the legendary coach control of the club's front office by the end of this week, according to a league source.

More From ESPNNewYork.com

oconnor_ian_m.jpg
To fix the Knicks' issues, Phil Jackson must do so from the inside out, not vice versa, writes Ian O'Connor. Story

"Everything is pretty much done," the source said. "There are just some little things here and there that need to be worked out, but the Knicks are very confident that this is essentially done."
An official announcement might not come until next week, the source said.
There has been speculation that Jackson is using the Knicks to get a top-flight job with another franchise, particularly the Los Angeles Lakers, but the source said the Knicks have no fear of Jackson leaving them at the altar for another team.
Jackson will take over the Knicks' basketball operations department from president and general manager Steve Mills. Mills, however, will remain an integral part of the organization, according to the source.

The Herd with Colin Cowherd

Tom Penn chats about the reports of Phil Jackson headed to the Knicks, Phil's ability to connect with star talent, whether Phil can micromanage so he can limit traveling, Joel Embiid's injury and much more.
More Podcasts »

While Jackson will certainly spend plenty of time in New York, it is not clear exactly how much, the source said.
"I think if he has the wherewithal to understand that these jobs are difficult, that they're frustrating and he's not going to be able to coach the players unless he wants to, I'm sure he could do a great job," Jerry West told The New York Post on Monday night. "Coaching and being an executive are different things. But he has a lot to draw on in terms of experience with players, how to organize teams and how to put them together. The biggest thing to learn is that you're going to need a lot of really good players."

Phil Jackson, New York Knicks expected to finalize deal by end of week - ESPN New York

Wonder how this will effect Melo's decision? Does he stay or go?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea that's been floated out there of Phil Jackson hiring Steve Kerr as head coach. Could be a good duo.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil is going to miss Malibu.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody knows what Phil will be like in that role but I think the Knicks made a great deal there.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think Phil is the right guy to rebuild a team. The key is getting everyone within the org on the same page, and establishing a culture of trust and credibility.

It will take the Knicks a few years, as they have few assets except overpaid Melo.

By 2017/8 we will hear from him

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very curious to see how Phil does in an executive role, however, I wish that role was happening with the Lakers. A key for Phil will be how much control Dolan will exert. I'm sure Phil will be wanting complete autonomy. Dolan hasn't shown the desire to give that up though.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody knows what Phil will be like in that role but I think the Knicks made a great deal there.

That's why NYK fans shouldn't get too excited. Positive results is what should cause excitement.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why NYK fans shouldn't get too excited. Positive results is what should cause excitement.

If I were a Knick fan and Phil Jackson were being hired to coach my team, I would be ecstatic. However, as far as Phil running my front office........I agree with you and wouldn't get too excited either.

Even though Dolan has said that he is willing to cede control to Phil, he has not ever shown an ability to do that (he's like the NBA's Jerry Jones).

Also, Phil has a way of having things end badly in some sort of power/credit struggle. It happened when he left Chicago and both times with the Lakers. The combination of Dolan's inability to stay out of the way and the vastness of Phil's ego and mind games that he's famous for, would seem to be a set up for things to go really, really bad.

However, he has also shown an ability to win titles before things end badly, so it still may be worth it.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very curious to see how Phil does in an executive role, however, I wish that role was happening with the Lakers. A key for Phil will be how much control Dolan will exert. I'm sure Phil will be wanting complete autonomy. Dolan hasn't shown the desire to give that up though.

It look's like in this situation Dolan will stay out of it & let Phil do his thing. No way Phil would go there if he wasn't allowed control.

It's just too bad Jim Buss can't do the same for Phil. The guy can't stand the fact that Phil get's to smell Jim's sister's pannies everyday. :hdn:

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he will have the success that Pat Riley has had in a front office role. If Melo stays I think it gives him a solid building block and the team can start rebuilding after those bad contracts come off the books in '15. Phil has never built a championship team. When he took over the Bulls MJ was already the best player in the game and that was right before the dynasty began. When MJ left, he left and that was that. He took over a Lakers team that already had Shaq and Kobe, got fired and came back when Kobe was in his prime. Then the Lakers traded for Gasol. He can make things happen when the talent is there but I'm not sold on his ability to build a contender, especially in a role where he will have a the ultimate say in what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their payroll is at 91 million already for next year for 11 guys with Carmello, 68 million if carmello leaves.
He will need to get sign and trades for this team to make enough moves to sign anyone and the quality of player is pretty low in Stoudmire, Chandler, JR Smith, thats a tall order for an experienced President of Basketball operations. Think this is the third year they are over so their MLE will only be 3 million.

They may just gut this whole team..

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,936.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a knick fan im happy to see this. but if i was jackson I would of stayed as far away from the knicks as i could

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It look's like in this situation Dolan will stay out of it & let Phil do his thing. No way Phil would go there if he wasn't allowed control.

It's just too bad Jim Buss can't do the same for Phil. The guy can't stand the fact that Phil get's to smell Jim's sister's pannies everyday. :hdn:

Dolan has given "complete control" before and then ends up going back on it. It's like he just can't stop himself.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan it's true about Dolan and other owners who can't help flip flopping on key decisions, and Phil was,one of those flip,flop victims ironically by Buss.

Phil will gut this team.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Phil hires Kerr as coach he will be successful (solid playoff team) in probably 2 seasons tops. Kerr understands culture and they will be on the same page when it comes to forming it for the team. They will probably have to gut the team but they may get lucky and get the type of players they like.

TRIPLE 777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THERE IS TALK --PHIL JACKSON -WANTS TO RECRUIT KEVIN LOVE TO THE KNICKS-IN JUNE.-2014
NOT IMPOSSIBLE-HE BECOMES A FREE AGENT VERY SOON.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Steven A. on ESPN expressing doubt about Phil actually ending up with the Knicks. He basically said that he will believe that Phil is going to be the Knicks President of Basketball Operations when he see's the press conference announcing it.

He said that he's hearing that it's a done deal, but has his doubts for 2 reasons:

1.) The comments from Kobe and Magic.
2.) The fact that it's James Dolan.

I would add that Phil would not be above using the negotiations with the Knicks as leverage to get what he wants with the Lakers.

Gonna be an interesting few days.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add that Phil would not be above using the negotiations with the Knicks as leverage to get what he wants with the Lakers.

I think that is most certainly what he is trying to do. I just don't see Jim willing to cede to Phil. It will create an interesting dynamic if he does go to the Knicks as he is engaged to Jeannie.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is most certainly what he is trying to do. I just don't see Jim willing to cede to Phil. It will create an interesting dynamic if he does go to the Knicks as he is engaged to Jeannie.

I agree re: Jim. The only way I see him ceding to Phil is if he is being pressured by Jeannie with an assist from Magic, Kobe and maybe Mitch. It certainly wouldn't be his idea to cede control to Phil.

I'm not a big Steven A. fan, but he's a huge Knicks fan and for him to be doubtful makes me wonder if he is just trying not to get his hopes up or if he has the feeling that something is happening.