• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PGAT POTY Frontrunner?

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over...Phil would get bonus pts if he wins the PGA.

That said, Firestone is like playing in Tiger's backyard...Sunday he didn't need to do much more than he did, but his driving overall this week might not be good enough @ Oak Hill. It wi;; be interesting to see how they set it up.

ATL, I like Phil, but the guy is up and down and you never know which Phil is showing up. I would agree, it's not over and if Phil can pull it off, you are right. One thing is for sure, I am pulling for an American to win.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are a couple of positives we can take away from this. 1, he played progressively worse each day from Friday to Sunday, culminating in a mediocre 70 even par on the last day. The other is that it is very difficult to win 2 in a row and the major goal we all want is to keep Woods from winning another Major. He still can't drive the ball and will most likely struggle at Oakmont. I',m keeping the faith he'll implode again on the weekend at another Major.

Toby, why would Tiger need to do more than what he did? He kept an eye on the leader board and played conservative golf to win. You don't go out there with a 7 stroke lead and take chances. Had someone been making any moves, it would have been a different story but no one challenged him. This is what separates him from everyone else. If anyone is to implode, it will be Rory and Sergio (a.k.a. Tin Cup). If anyone is capable of winning back-to-back events, it's Tiger.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are a couple of positives we can take away from this. 1, he played progressively worse each day from Friday to Sunday, culminating in a mediocre 70 even par on the last day. The other is that it is very difficult to win 2 in a row and the major goal we all want is to keep Woods from winning another Major. He still can't drive the ball and will most likely struggle at Oakmont. I',m keeping the faith he'll implode again on the weekend at another Major.

He'll never be a straight driver swinging as hard as he does. If the reports of the Oak Hill's rough setup hold true...this is probably not the week Tiger will get to 15, unless he opts for 3w or something other than driver.

I'm not counting him out because he is playing well and should be in the mix, but I wouldn't bet on him this week.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL, I like Phil, but the guy is up and down and you never know which Phil is showing up. I would agree, it's not over and if Phil can pull it off, you are right. One thing is for sure, I am pulling for an American to win.

I like Tiger & Phil (not the norm I know), but really don't pull for golfers...maybe a tad late on Sunday if it's close...(I get more out of seeing a no name win...Ken Duke for instance) but it's good for the game to see both Phil & Tiger playing well going into the last major...the PGA can sometimes get overwhelmed by football.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tiger & Phil (not the norm I know), but really don't pull for golfers...maybe a tad late on Sunday if it's close...(I get more out of seeing a no name win...Ken Duke for instance) but it's good for the game to see both Phil & Tiger playing well going into the last major...the PGA can sometimes get overwhelmed by football.

It would be awesome to see the two of them paired together in the final round. Remember that Masters from several years ago where they were paired together? Both were pretty much out of the running but put together good final rounds & at least made a run at it. Very entertaining.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be awesome to see the two of them paired together in the final round. Remember that Masters from several years ago where they were paired together? Both were pretty much out of the running but put together good final rounds & at least made a run at it. Very entertaining.

I do remember...maybe a group or two in front of the leaders.

Imo the biggest disappointments to date is Tiger and Phil have not clashed more in the majors. Ernie & Tiger never materialized...Tiger and Duval and Tiger & VJ were too short.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... The PGA is at Oak Hill, not Oakmont

Cracks me up when people start their sentences with "uhmm". I can just see the drool coming out of the side of their mouthes.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toby, why would Tiger need to do more than what he did? He kept an eye on the leader board and played conservative golf to win. You don't go out there with a 7 stroke lead and take chances. Had someone been making any moves, it would have been a different story but no one challenged him. This is what separates him from everyone else. If anyone is to implode, it will be Rory and Sergio (a.k.a. Tin Cup). If anyone is capable of winning back-to-back events, it's Tiger.

Woods is definitely capable but he's got the "Major on a weekend" bugaboo in his head right now. I hope it stays for one more event this year.

I think he'll win the British Open next year at Royal Liverpool. He won there before without hitting a single driver so he can do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll never be a straight driver swinging as hard as he does. If the reports of the Oak Hill's rough setup hold true...this is probably not the week Tiger will get to 15, unless he opts for 3w or something other than driver.

I'm not counting him out because he is playing well and should be in the mix, but I wouldn't bet on him this week.

We can only hope. If he can't drive the ball straight and has to resort to a three-wood, he's going to be in trouble.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the only one who can conceivably catch Tiger is Phil. Phil's 2 majors would likely win it for him on votes for sure. However, even a major from the other guys is not strong enough now to overcome all of Tiger's wins, plus the fact that he competed in most majors.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the only one who can conceivably catch Tiger is Phil. Phil's 2 majors would likely win it for him on votes for sure. However, even a major from the other guys is not strong enough now to overcome all of Tiger's wins, plus the fact that he competed in most majors.

Justin Rose, Adam Scott? if they win, that's two Majors for one of them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rose, Adams (and Phil) would leapfrog Woods with a win this week...I think they would get the 20 or 30 pts for the major, plus 50 bonus pts for multiple majors in one yr...no doubt the 2 time major winner for '13 would win the PGAT voted award as well...still wide open.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can only hope. If he can't drive the ball straight and has to resort to a three-wood, he's going to be in trouble.

From hearing these guys talk...FWs hit will be a big premium this week...the course is not that long...I would expect the most of the big hitters to keep driver in the bag more this week in general and accepting longer approaches.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From hearing these guys talk...FWs hit will be a big premium this week...the course is not that long...I would expect the most of the big hitters to keep driver in the bag more this week in general and accepting longer approaches.

But... A line of showers & storms is set to come through there today & rain continues to be in the forecast. Any sort of rain will make it really long bc we have had a ton of rain this summer. Rochester is abt 3 hours away from me.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Rose, Adam Scott? if they win, that's two Majors for one of them.

No chance in my opinion.

1) Tiger - 5 wins, and came close in 2/3 majors.
2) Phil - 3 wins (1 major) (1 overseas). Almost won the US Open. 4 wins, including 2 majors will top Tiger's 5, imo.
3) Scott - 1 win. Came close in the Open, but 45th place in the US Open.
4) Rose - 1 win. 25th in the Masters and MC in Open. (Not even close here).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Almost 73 hundred yards. That's pretty long. The greens are soft and slow I hear so longer approach shots should be easier.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance in my opinion.

1) Tiger - 5 wins, and came close in 2/3 majors.
2) Phil - 3 wins (1 major) (1 overseas). Almost won the US Open. 4 wins, including 2 majors will top Tiger's 5, imo.
3) Scott - 1 win. Came close in the Open, but 45th place in the US Open.
4) Rose - 1 win. 25th in the Masters and MC in Open. (Not even close here).

Two Majors in the same year for Scott or Rose would make them the winner in my book.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost 73 hundred yards. That's pretty long. The greens are soft and slow I hear so longer approach shots should be easier.

On these old, true dogleg courses most of the FWs will either turn or runout at around 280 or so...I'm guessing if the hole doesn't follow your ball flight the bombers will hit less than driver to try and stay in the FW. IMO that's the beauty of these old tracks...they take the distance advantage out of play unless you can shape it. I think a lot of guys will be in the mix this week...don't expect a run anyone to run away.

There's an old RTJ Sr. track here that's a great shot makers course...barely 6800 or so from the tips...they had a Hooters tour event there a few yrs ago and the low score was only 68....good players love playing it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Majors in the same year for Scott or Rose would make them the winner in my book.

Tiger wraps this up with a win this week, but I also think the same for Phil, Scott and Rose...2 majors will lock it up for any of those guys.