• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Says Mahomes Is 6th Best QB In The NFL

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit to not being completely sold on Mahomes going into the season but from the looks of things he's the real deal. He should be #2 or #3 at worst on this list.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is mahomes statistically behind wentz?

Wentz has a much better punterception average than Mahomes, mostly because Mahomes has yet to convert a punterception. Wentz has one where he pinned the opponent inside the 10.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presumably fumbles and Wentz probably posting a better rushing grade than a gimped Mahomes. Only thing I got.
wentz has a 91 rating. 61% 2 picks.

mahomes has a 134.9 rating and almost 72% with...no picks. oh, and mahomes has like 350 more yards. and 4 more TD's.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mahomes has a 134.9 rating and almost 72% with...no picks. oh, and mahomes has like 350 more yards. and 4 more TD's.

PFF: Mahomes ranks 1st in almost every statistical category? No way we can rank him in the top 5.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't disagree, I think it's stupid as well, especially when you compare the teams Wentz and Mahomes played, but I am not looking at the blood and guts of their methodology so... I can't do much but give stank-eye to PFF.

Just to be clear though, are these grades adjusted for schedule or on projections or not? I am assuming no, otherwise there's no way this makes sense at all.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree, I think it's stupid as well, especially when you compare the teams Wentz and Mahomes played, but I am not looking at the blood and guts of their methodology so... I can't do much but give stank-eye to PFF.
bradys 1, so i got no skin in this either. i just think a clear system guy like prescott (who we saw without zeke, is a useless sack) and went etc have no business behind mahomes.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bradys 1, so i got no skin in this either. i just think a clear system guy like prescott (who we saw without zeke, is a useless sack) and went etc have no business behind mahomes.
Well, yeah, if we're projecting into the future most definitely. It's not an idiotic thing to say if you myopically go through 3 weeks and pretend the 3 teams he played are not anything but cupcakes defensively (though Wash being as bad as they've been on defense is admittedly surprising to me) which would semi-plausibly create a list similar to the one in OP.

I do think Moore>>>> Linehan is having a real effect though. Just want to see a bigger sample size with Dak.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF Rankings: NFL Quarterback Rankings following Week 3 | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

1. TOM BRADY, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Brady is back atop the quarterback rankings after three strong weeks that have seen him rank second in big-time throw percentage at 7.4% while avoiding any turnover-worthy plays. Brady continues to make good decisions with the ball while throwing accurately to all levels of the field, and he’s off to a start that is more reminiscent of his elite 2015-17 stretch — one of the best in NFL history — rather than last season that saw him regress just a touch on a throw-for-throw basis.

2. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
Coming into the season, we ranked Prescott as a third-tier quarterback, with the descriptor that a good situation (playmakers, offensive line, play-caller) can lead to top-10 production in any given year. That’s exactly what is happening in Dallas, as offensive coordinator Kellen Moore has opened up a play-action game that has seen Prescott go 30-for-37 for 409 yards and a passer rating of 137.5. He’s taken advantage of more favorable play-calling while also throwing the ball extremely well down the field, as his adjusted completion percentage of 68.8% on deep (20-plus-yard) passes ranks fifth in the league, and his overall adjusted completion percentage of 81.7% is first among quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts.

3. CARSON WENTZ, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Armed with the best weapons in the league on paper coming into the year, Wentz has not had the same supporting cast we expected to see. Injuries have depleted a deep receiving corps, though they showed flashes of big-play ability in Week 1. Wentz has been better than his stats would show, mostly due to four big-time throws falling incomplete compared to just 17 such instances for the rest of the NFL. Wentz ranks fifth in the league in big-time throw percentage, and he’s tied for third with a 92.9 grade on throws targeted 10 or more yards downfield.

4. RUSSELL WILSON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
It’s another year of big plays from Wilson, who ranks fourth in big-time throw percentage (5.9%) and has avoided any turnover-worthy plays to this point. He’s been accurate to all levels, ranking seventh at avoiding negatives, and the only thing keeping him from being higher on the list is his ranking just 12th in positively graded throws and a poor showing at the intermediate (10-19-yard) level, where Wilson’s 55.0 grade is 10th-worst in the league. Overall, it’s a fantastic start for Wilson, who has avoided the randomly poor decision-making that has littered his tape through the years while still showing off the ability to get the ball down the field efficiently.

5. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
It’s been all about big plays for Watson, who is tied with Brady for second in big-time throw percentage at 7.4%. We’ve seen a few spectacular plays, including a near-comeback in Week 1 against the New Orleans Saints and a few gems this week against the Los Angeles Chargers, but Watson is inviting too much pressure and ranks just 22nd at avoiding negatively graded throws. Watson’s big-play ability has been the story of his young career, but he is still working to find the balance between avoiding pressure and adding more value in the short game.

6. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
The Chiefs’ offense has picked right up where they left off last year, and Mahomes continues to play at a high level despite a dip in a couple of key numbers. He still has the big-time throws, evidenced by his league-leading 8.0 big-time throw percentage, but after ranking second at avoiding negatively graded throws last season, Mahomes ranks just 19th in the same statistic this season. He also has two turnover-worthy plays on fumbles that won’t show up in the gaudy, league-leading 134.9 passer rating, but for Chiefs fans, they should be encouraged that there’s still room to improve as the year progresses
Where is Aaron Rodgers rated?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly surprised he's that high. Will be curious to see how he looks when the schedule isn't so mean defensively.

agreed. he has played some tough defenses. maybe they take that into account?

Reactions: GNG