• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning Thread Revisited

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there was a thread about him before, but I am having trouble with my internet loading pages and didn't feel like trying to find it. I heard on the radio this morning they were talking about if Peyton and Eli would make another commercial to update the old ESPN one they made back in the day. The one where they are like little kid brothers fighting the whole time, and at the end Peyton kicks him in the ass. It was pretty funny. They were saying if Eli won another Superbowl would Peyton have the sense of humor to make fun of himself and let Eli get the better of him in a new commercial. That got me thinking....

The Colts can’t trade Manning until March 13. So to do it would require them to pick up the $28 million bonus on March 8, and then take a $38 million hit against their salary cap to trade him. The most likely thing to save the most money would be to cut him. It would result in just a $10.4 million hit ($16 million in prorated signing bonus minus a $5.6 million credit on the option bonus, which started counting against the cap last year) that would net the team $6.6 million in cap space. Of course, that would also leave Manning free to test free agency.

If Eli was to take the Superbowl next weekend, would Peyton be more willing to go to a contender for slightly cheaper?? Strictly on his competitiveness I would think he would want a second ring even more. This is assuming he is healthy and able to play. If that is the case, I think he leave Indy anyway. Would a team like the 49ers be one of the tops on his list?? Sure they gave up a lot of sacks, but he is able to audible out of so many plays he avoids taking hits anyway. He has a great defense and enough weapons. The teams they mention being interested in him like the Jets and Cardinals make less sense than the 49ers. We are closer to a Superbowl than either of those teams and he doesn't have much time.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he's healthy then hell yes I hope Manning does become a FA. Give him a FA WR and draft a couple WR's and the Niners will be set to compete for the next couple years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know there was a thread about him before, but I am having trouble with my internet loading pages and didn't feel like trying to find it. I heard on the radio this morning they were talking about if Peyton and Eli would make another commercial to update the old ESPN one they made back in the day. The one where they are like little kid brothers fighting the whole time, and at the end Peyton kicks him in the ass. It was pretty funny. They were saying if Eli won another Superbowl would Peyton have the sense of humor to make fun of himself and let Eli get the better of him in a new commercial. That got me thinking....

The Colts can’t trade Manning until March 13. So to do it would require them to pick up the $28 million bonus on March 8, and then take a $38 million hit against their salary cap to trade him. The most likely thing to save the most money would be to cut him. It would result in just a $10.4 million hit ($16 million in prorated signing bonus minus a $5.6 million credit on the option bonus, which started counting against the cap last year) that would net the team $6.6 million in cap space. Of course, that would also leave Manning free to test free agency.

If Eli was to take the Superbowl next weekend, would Peyton be more willing to go to a contender for slightly cheaper?? Strictly on his competitiveness I would think he would want a second ring even more. This is assuming he is healthy and able to play. If that is the case, I think he leave Indy anyway. Would a team like the 49ers be one of the tops on his list?? Sure they gave up a lot of sacks, but he is able to audible out of so many plays he avoids taking hits anyway. He has a great defense and enough weapons. The teams they mention being interested in him like the Jets and Cardinals make less sense than the 49ers. We are closer to a Superbowl than either of those teams and he doesn't have much time.

at this stage of his career, yeah another SB ring would be high on his agenda. but of all the contending teams without a top QB, which one suits his skill set the best? it may not be the 49ers?

from Harbaugh's view, he can adjust his scheme to suit Peyton but only to a point. where that point is i don't know, but wouldn't want to change our offense now.

too easy to assume he comes here and right off the bat.....plays like a H-O-F.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants more than what we are going to pay Alex we can't afford him.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Payton will probably retire. He is one hit away from the rest home. And he is a Colt I don't really want any of Colt trash on the Niners. I hate everything about that team since they slunk out iin the middle of the night from Baltimore. In a perfect world Irsay would get aids from giving a aids riddled transvestite a blowjob. Before I became a Niner fan I was a Baltimore Colt Fan. Probably would be a Raven Fan had I not Gotten a signed Montana Jersey the year the Colts left and I was 7 or 8 years old. If the Colts team plane crashed an killed everyone in the organization again it would not be a bad thing.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Payton will probably retire. He is one hit away from the rest home. And he is a Colt I don't really want any of Colt trash on the Niners. I hate everything about that team since they slunk out iin the middle of the night from Baltimore. In a perfect world Irsay would get aids from giving a aids riddled transvestite a blowjob. Before I became a Niner fan I was a Baltimore Colt Fan. Probably would be a Raven Fan had I not Gotten a signed Montana Jersey the year the Colts left and I was 7 or 8 years old. If the Colts team plane crashed an killed everyone in the organization again it would not be a bad thing.

I'm not sure how you know he's one hit away from retiring.

He's also not Colt trash.

It's nice to know that you would sacrifice improving the team for your petty grudges.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can people please stop naming his injury as the reason they don't wanna sign Peyton? I'm sure he'll go throw numberous physicals and tests before I team gives him a contract.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three neck surgerys yeah sounds like hes solid. Thats why he was cleared to play this year right? Improving the team. Say you sign Payton for 15-20 million and you have to let Rogers and Goldson walk. You also ran yourself out of the market for a true wide receiver. So now the Defense is suddenly a lot weaker, you have Manning an Crabby who can't get open, Ginn who can't catch, Kyle who can't hold onto the ball. VD is your one stud an Walker is your second best receiver. And maybe he is not one hit away but that is a whole lot to invest in a player with neck surgerys whose health is a lot riskier than other options. As for petty grudges yeah a team sneaking out of town on its fans at 1130 at night is nothing. Would he make the team better... arguably. Depends on what has to be given up to make the gain. for 16-20 million a Year there is a free agent by the name of Drew Brees I would take over Manning any day of the week and thrice on Sunday.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can people please stop naming his injury as the reason they don't wanna sign Peyton? I'm sure he'll go throw numberous physicals and tests before I team gives him a contract.

You don't think it's necessary to state and repeat the obvious in lieu of a rational arguement?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Three neck surgerys yeah sounds like hes solid. Thats why he was cleared to play this year right? Improving the team. Say you sign Payton for 15-20 million and you have to let Rogers and Goldson walk. You also ran yourself out of the market for a true wide receiver. So now the Defense is suddenly a lot weaker, you have Manning an Crabby who can't get open, Ginn who can't catch, Kyle who can't hold onto the ball. VD is your one stud an Walker is your second best receiver. And maybe he is not one hit away but that is a whole lot to invest in a player with neck surgerys whose health is a lot riskier than other options. As for petty grudges yeah a team sneaking out of town on its fans at 1130 at night is nothing. Would he make the team better... arguably. Depends on what has to be given up to make the gain. for 16-20 million a Year there is a free agent by the name of Drew Brees I would take over Manning any day of the week and thrice on Sunday.

Tell me more about the surgeries. Or are all neck surgeries the same?

Are we signing Manning to a one year contract? Why does signing Manning at 15-20M per year mean we lose Rogers, Goldson and the ability to sign a WR, but signing Alex at 10M doesn't? Are you planning to sign Rogers, Goldson and Bowe/Colston/Jackson for a combined total of 5-10M?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three neck surgerys yeah sounds like hes solid. Thats why he was cleared to play this year right?

IIRC, he had three surgeries to speed up the healing process - not because he had three separate issues in his neck. And the Colts behind a horrible team and being completely out of contention had a lot to do with them not forcing him to return in '11.

Improving the team. Say you sign Payton for 15-20 million and you have to let Rogers and Goldson walk. You also ran yourself out of the market for a true wide receiver.

Not necessarily. Give Alex his 10mil. How much of a difference would that make?

So now the Defense is suddenly a lot weaker, you have Manning an Crabby who can't get open, Ginn who can't catch, Kyle who can't hold onto the ball. VD is your one stud an Walker is your second best receiver.

I hate the supporting cast argument. If anything this year has proven that Peyton can take an extremely sub-par and make them that much better. The Colts were 2-14 without Manning, the 49ers were 13-3 without Manning. That's not an argument.

And maybe he is not one hit away but that is a whole lot to invest in a player with neck surgerys whose health is a lot riskier than other options.

Prove it. If he passes all of his medical exams and physicals, how can you say he's more prone to injury than anyone else?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be really careful about signing that Alex Smith. He's had multiple surgeries on his throwing shoulder. He's one hit away from having his career ended.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be really careful about signing that Alex Smith. He's had multiple surgeries on his throwing shoulder. He's one hit away from having his career ended.

I was gonna put that in my post, but I'm growing very wary of mentioning anything negative about Alex in these parts.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton will retire as a colt after next season and we will some how get Andrew luck in this year NFL draft!!! he will pull a eli manning in demand to be traded to the 49ers

49ers get luck and 4th and 5th round picks

colts get keap and 2 first round picks

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Is Payton better than Alex yes. However the injury history being brought up a nauseum read my last sentence for the money if your going to throw 16-20 million dollars at a qb I said I'd prefer Drew Brees... No where in my statement did I even mention Alex. And with the Salary cap next year I figure the Niners will get creative with contracts but I see Rogers getting around 7 or 8 million a year, Goldson getting between 6 and 7. Draft class around 4 million leaves around 19-20 million of cap space. A 16 or 17 Million dollar contract does severly limit the market for building the team. Now I will mention Alex. If Alex means the Niners can sign their important free agents, Get a legitimate wide receiver in free agency then yes maybe he is still the better stop gap option for a year or two until either Kaep is ready to take over or we get someone better.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton's potential suitors
10:17AM ET
Peyton Manning
| Colts | Interested: Redskins?, Seahawks?, 49ers?, Jets?, Dolphins?, Browns?, Cardinals?

The dust-up between Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts organization ramped up a notch on Thursday, with a consensus growing that Manning's time with the club is about to end (and not very gracefully). If there is anyone to benefit from the acrimonious conclusion to his time in Indy, it's the slew of quarterback-needy teams around the NFL. So, spinning the wheel forward a bit, let's run through some potential destinations for No. 18, keeping in mind that in addition to the teams wanting Peyton, the QB himself will have to be sold on them in order to sign.

Arizona Cardinals. Peyton -- and really, any QB -- would likely enjoy the Cards' arsenal of skill position players led by Larry Fitzgerald (and Fitzgerald would certainly be open to having another future Hall of Famer come to the desert). Though the Cards have somewhat of a suspect offensive line, Manning has made it work in Indy with questionable O-lines in the past.

Cleveland Browns. Certainly a team in the market for an upgrade at QB over Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace, a potential problem here could be that the Browns may not be able to sell Manning on their collection of receivers. Then again, if Manning is signed before the draft, the Browns would have the ability to add some help in that department at No. 4 overall (Justin Blackmon?) and/or No. 22 (Alshon Jeffery? Michael Floyd? Kendall Wright?).

Miami Dolphins. New head coach, new OC, new QB? It's possible. And according to a report this week, the Dolphins would prefer Peyton over Matt Flynn, who head coach Joe Philbin just coached in Green Bay and who isn't coming off life-altering neck fusion surgery. Would Peyton want to play in Miami? There are some solid pieces in place, and he'd be guaranteed a home-and-home series against Tom Brady.

New York Jets. This is the one that's caused the most uproar, following the report that certain anonymous Jets players would opt for Peyton over current Jets QB Mark Sanchez. If healthy, Peyton is a clear upgrade -- though that's the big question in all of this -- and the possibility of the Manning brothers both playing in the New York market is an exciting one for fans and observers alike.

San Francisco 49ers. With Alex Smith likely re-signing, it doesn't appear as though the Niners are a likely destination; however, until Smith is officially back, the speculation will continue that Manning could land with Jim Harbaugh's team. An already strong run game and defense coupled with an all-time great at QB? San Francisco would instantly be amongst the favorites for next year's Super Bowl.

Seattle Seahawks. Perhaps the dark horse candidate for Manning, they've seldom been mentioned in the reports on Peyton's potential landing spots, though Mike Sando of the NFC West blog thinks that of the teams in his decision, Seattle makes the most sense from a pure QB need perspective. With talent on the O-line, in the backfield (assuming Marshawn Lynch comes back) and receiving corps, Pete Carroll's team may be one to watch in the process.

Washington Redskins. With Mike Shanahan's job possibly on the line in 2012, the Redskins are pretty desperate for some help at QB, and a rumor back on Jan. 13 linked both Peyton and long-time teammate Jeff Saturday to the Redskins in a package deal of sorts. Washington owner Daniel Snyder has been relatively silent on the free agent market recently, but this opportunity may be too much for him to pass up.

- Tim Kavanagh

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: What are the latest rumors on the status of Peyton Manning? It seems like the writing is on the wall that they'll cut him.

-- Casey (Missouri)

A: The Colts say no decision is reached, Casey, but it's not hard to see increasing signs that it certainly seems to be moving that way. For starters, the Colts are turning over practically their entire organization. They're going new, young and fresh. They're going to continue that by taking Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick. Luck should be on the field from Day 1, just as Manning was, and just as Cam Newton was this past season. But Manning and Colts owner Jim Irsay still must sit down and discuss what is best for each side. Each has plenty invested in the other. And so we don't know exactly how it's going to work, but it certainly looks as if the road out of Indianapolis is paved for Manning.

Adam Schefter​

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Is Payton better than Alex yes. However the injury history being brought up a nauseum read my last sentence for the money if your going to throw 16-20 million dollars at a qb I said I'd prefer Drew Brees... No where in my statement did I even mention Alex. And with the Salary cap next year I figure the Niners will get creative with contracts but I see Rogers getting around 7 or 8 million a year, Goldson getting between 6 and 7. Draft class around 4 million leaves around 19-20 million of cap space. A 16 or 17 Million dollar contract does severly limit the market for building the team. Now I will mention Alex. If Alex means the Niners can sign their important free agents, Get a legitimate wide receiver in free agency then yes maybe he is still the better stop gap option for a year or two until either Kaep is ready to take over or we get someone better.

I think everyone on this board would prefer Drew Brees over Peyton Manning right now. But there is no way the Saints let him leave. They will pay him his money and I am willing to bet he doesn't wanna leave there also.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather trade our entire draft for Andrew Luck than pay Manning. You can get Luck cheaper and he will be around a lot longer. That said both would be risk. Luck could end up worst than Alex Smith and Manning could end up taking a career ending hit on that that neck.

And don't compare a shoulder injury to a neck injury. A neck injury is far more serious.