• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peterson: Sherman couldn't handle Cardinals scheme

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Richie. Hope this doesn't sidetrack him like Skip did.

HighMark

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does peterson have a point? Sherman hardly ever plays man and shadows one guy. The one time I saw that he did, was against Buffalo's Stevie Johnson. Before the game against the Bills in week 15, Sherman had given up just 32 receptions for 480 yards and one lone touchdown. He allowed six receptions for 89 yards and a TD in that game as he was shaken loose by Johnson’s routes more than I can remember him being by any other receiver. The game was a blowout win over the Bills by Seattle, but Johnson shredded Sherman.

Was it because like Peterson says he is a cover 3 receiver and he was out of his comfort zone shadowing Johnson all day? Or was it because Johnson has his number?

I think there might be at least some truth to what he is saying. Although he is not currently a better CB than sherman.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson should charge Sherman for rent for living in his head this much. It's become a 24/7 obsession.

God I can't wait for this season.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does peterson have a point? Sherman hardly ever plays man and shadows one guy. The one time I saw that he did, was against Buffalo's Stevie Johnson. Before the game against the Bills in week 15, Sherman had given up just 32 receptions for 480 yards and one lone touchdown. He allowed six receptions for 89 yards and a TD in that game as he was shaken loose by Johnson’s routes more than I can remember him being by any other receiver. The game was a blowout win over the Bills by Seattle, but Johnson shredded Sherman.

Was it because like Peterson says he is a cover 3 receiver and he was out of his comfort zone shadowing Johnson all day? Or was it because Johnson has his number?

I think there might be at least some truth to what he is saying. Although he is not currently a better CB than sherman.

He may or may not have a point but you are bringing up a game from 2012 so I hardly think that it is applicable to the conversation.

Since you are a 9ers fan I also know that you are well aware of the fact that the last time that you saw him shadow a WR was the first game of the Seahawks/49ers of last year when he requested to Carroll that he follow Boldin and he held Boldin to 1 catch for 7 yards. But way to try and sneak it past us!

Just as Sherman may or may not excel or struggle with the Cards scheme, Peterson may or may not excel or struggle with the Seahawks scheme. I don't know if he was the physicality or the ability to jam WRs. It is hard to speculate.

My guess is that Peterson is just positioning for a bigger contract but he is barking up the wrong tree with these comments. He is a great athlete, probably one of the very best in the league and an excellent CB but I don't think he is as good of a CB as Sherman at this point.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And call me confused cause I'll I heard last year from crybaby Giners and the fans of other teams we played was that Sherman and our other DBs cheat by holding and grabbing all their WRs and TEs. Now they are saying Peterson has a point because Sherman doesn't play man to man and soft with coverage?

Make up your mind gumps. :wtf2:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seattle runs a combination of mostly cover 3 and man. This part you got right. However Sherman often runs man or at least man press/man bail out of their various C3 looks. More correctly, they also run a cover 1 that is man on the outside and often it is confused as a cover 3.

To suggest that Sherman just sits back in zone all day can only be said by people with no clue about that defense.

I used to hate most of our zone looks in prior years as they were exploited many times. Their man looks have always been solid. What made them leap in stats this year was their improvement as a team in zone schemes. They don't bite on fakes as much and handle the pick routes far better now. Note that both of those were more on the safeties and LB's than the corners.

How you or anyone else can question what was the best defense in the league last year and probably at least the last 10 years is beyond me. Their schemes and the players running them work.

Just like Sherman went after Revis because you have to take on the best to overtake them, Peterson too is now doing the same thing. Problem for him is the stats are against him.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you're up 3 scores early crazy shit happens, a lot more off coverage, the opposition offense abandons the run game, etc.

When he shadowed Boldin in week two this last year he shut him down. Peterson gave up 150 last time he saw Boldin.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle runs a combination of mostly cover 3 and man. This part you got right. However Sherman often runs man or at least man press/man bail out of their various C3 looks. More correctly, they also run a cover 1 that is man on the outside and often it is confused as a cover 3.

I dont think a lot of people understand just how much single coverage the Seahawks play downfield. Kam is basically another LB, and in both the C1 and C3 Earl is basically reading the QB from centerfield. That puts a lot of pressure on the outside guys to cover ALL ROUTES. I hear all this talk about over the top help, but the truth is that Sherman is by himself almost anytime you see him get tested deep. Usually because the QB did a good job looking off Earl.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just makes the upcoming season more interesting.. We know who Peterson is rooting for in the Crabtree/Sherman battle.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who is right or wrong I just love this sort of stuff. The more characters in the league the better. 2 competitors trying to prove they're the best? That is entertainment right there.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly a Zone Corner? Whhhaaaaaaa?

Seattle plays single high all game long.

Kam is basically a line backer, cheating in the box. Sherms lays press man on the right, Maxwell (BB before him) plays press man on the left. and Earl Thomas plays center field.

Thats not a zone.

Again, your not the best corner in the game if your constantly following the best receiver and GETTING BEAT.

And how about the QB rating against Revis last year! wow that was surprising.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly a Zone Corner? Whhhaaaaaaa?

Seattle plays single high all game long.

Kam is basically a line backer, cheating in the box. Sherms lays press man on the right, Maxwell (BB before him) plays press man on the left. and Earl Thomas plays center field.

Thats not a zone.

Again, your not the best corner in the game if your constantly following the best receiver and GETTING BEAT.

And how about the QB rating against Revis last year! wow that was surprising.

I wouldn't say Peterson is constantly getting beat. I mean looking at that graph he allowed the 2nd lowest completion percentage of any of the players on the list while following the #1 receiver around the field.

Now just because he follows the #1 guy around the field does not make him the best. I do think Sherman is the #1 guy right now and until somebody blows him away or Sherman starts declining that will probably remain true for a few more years.

It does crack me up that we have gone from in the early 2000's the WR's being the big time Divas that did all the talking to now the Corners are the guys becoming the Divas of the league. I guess somebody has to be in the league.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does peterson have a point?

Yes he absolutely does have a point. But, It's the leap he made with that point that makes him wrong and quite frankly look silly. Just because he is asked to do a more difficult job doesn't automotically mean that he is a better player because of it. The league is littered with slot corners, who IMO have the toughest job of all of them. But, just because they are a slot corner doesn't make them better than Sherman. Getting back to PP's point...this is why Revis had one of the greatest defensive years in the recent history of the NFL the year they gave Woodson the DPOY award over him. He played stud receivers, took them on man-to-man with no help and shut them down pretty much on a weekly basis. He made his entire team around him better by both how he played "scheme wise" and how well he played. Sherman doesn't necessarily do this play after play, but he has still been the best corner in the league the last two years. You can't do something you aren't asked to do.

I don't know if PP is even in the top 5 CBs in the league to be honest.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Peterson is constantly getting beat. I mean looking at that graph he allowed the 2nd lowest completion percentage of any of the players on the list while following the #1 receiver around the field.

Now just because he follows the #1 guy around the field does not make him the best. I do think Sherman is the #1 guy right now and until somebody blows him away or Sherman starts declining that will probably remain true for a few more years.

It does crack me up that we have gone from in the early 2000's the WR's being the big time Divas that did all the talking to now the Corners are the guys becoming the Divas of the league. I guess somebody has to be in the league.
I guess you never heard of Deon Sanders?

Brash big talking corners is nothing new. they have always been the cocky sons of bitches of the defense. Sherman and Peterson are just this generations versions. Nothing new at all.

Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, I'm sure you could come up with a list of some of the greats and ask the fans of that era what those guys had to say off the field.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what we have learned is:

At least when it comes to defensive backs, the Seahawks coaches do a better job of putting their players in position to succeed than the Cardinals coaches do.

Thanks for clearing that up, Peterson.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly. Im happy PP is talking.

First it makes it fun convo for us in the off season.

Second and most importantly, it gives Sherman more to pile on that gigantic chip on his shoulder. I dont want him resting on his laurels after a superbowl ring and a gigantic contract. I dont think he would but this all adds fuel to his fire.

I think my thoughts of PP are skued, my first time really paying attention to him, last year, maybe year before Zona vs SF on primtime, Crabtree made him his beyotch all game. My pov of him has been skued since.

Last but not least. I like that Sherman is taking away an entire side of the field. Sure he's not always taking away the number one. But knowing (he's the least targeted corner in the league) that the offense isn't going that way, allows the rest of the LOB to focus elsewhere.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks fans are so easily offended and overly defensive here at the Hoop, seemingly over nothing. lol

It is not often I see as many likes to a post as you got with this one, so I am sure there is some validity to it.

I suppose we Hawk fans have a chip on our shoulder, similar to the team we root for.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not often I see as many likes to a post as you got with this one, so I am sure there is some validity to it.

I suppose we Hawk fans have a chip on our shoulder, similar to the team we root for.

Fact, we live out in South Alaska. We see nothing but NFC East coverage forever. We're told to "win somehting then talk" Well we won something. So we are talking.

If you dont like it, feel free to not click the seahawks threads. Im sure theirs a Tony Romo thread you can read through.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman thrives on this kind of stuff. Other players really need to stop feeding into this stuff with him.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman thrives on this kind of stuff. Other players really need to stop feeding into this stuff with him.

NO!

Every corner in the league should come out against him and let him know how bad he sucks.