• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Rose has passed away

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player and sorry he passed away. I can't pretend that I think he was anything but an asshole though.

Kind of good story about him. In his early days on the Reds black players still could not go to the same restaurants as white players. Pete would often go to dinner with Frank Robinson and another black player (I cannot remember who it was) instead eating with the white players. Pretty cool I guess. Now the bad part, part of the reason he did that was because the rest of the team hated him and didn't want to eat with him anyway.
Frank seemed to kind of like him.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player and sorry he passed away. I can't pretend that I think he was anything but an asshole though.

Kind of good story about him. In his early days on the Reds black players still could not go to the same restaurants as white players. Pete would often go to dinner with Frank Robinson and another black player (I cannot remember who it was) instead eating with the white players. Pretty cool I guess. Now the bad part, part of the reason he did that was because the rest of the team hated him and didn't want to eat with him anyway.
Frank seemed to kind of like him.
sounds like bullshit story only a hater would post in this thread.

did it occur to you pete might have been unpopular with teammates because he did associate with the black players?

you probably shouldn't judge people you don't even know personally.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like bullshit story only a hater would post in this thread.

did it occur to you pete might have been unpopular with teammates because he did associate with the black players?

you probably shouldn't judge people you don't even know personally.
1. I don't care

2. No, because I learned the story when Frank Robinson wrote about it and he said they initially invited Rose because he was alone because his teammates hated him

3. Yeah, I'm sure you never had an opinion about someone you didn't know personally.

4. You OK?

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he have the under?

I kid I kid. Very sad to here Charly hustle is no more. A true legend.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I don't care

2. No, because I learned the story when Frank Robinson wrote about it and he said they initially invited Rose because he was alone because his teammates hated him

3. Yeah, I'm sure you never had an opinion about someone you didn't know personally.

4. You OK?
no i don't typically just assume someone's an asshole, who i don't know, based on rumors.

pete's says the team was cliquish, he was young rookie, and chastised for associating with black players.

i don't know which is true so why not give him props for what we do know, being the great player he was, instead of casting dispersions.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i don't typically just assume someone's an asshole, who i don't know, based on rumors.

pete's says the team was cliquish, he was young rookie, and chastised for associating with black players.

i don't know which is true so why not give him props for what we do know, being the great player he was, instead of casting dispersions.
He's been in the public eye forever and mainly always been an asshole. Not just a rumor or two.

That's the story I heard, in that version he still doesn't come off poorly. There are probably plenty of players who even if the rest of their team didn't like him, would not have dined with black players during segregation.

But hey, if it bugs you I'll have a mod remove my posts from this thread.