• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Personal Gun Safety Question

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need some advice. My wife and I are going to be taking classes for a conceal carry permit. This is actually for her as she is working in a career field that will require her to travel long distances and includes work in a city with a rather high crime rate. There could be some traveling at night that includes areas that are not well lit. We don't anticipate problems, but I am a firm believer in preparing for the worst and knowing what to in those circumstances. So my question for the gun experts on this board is what type of handgun do you think is appropriate? My wife has little experience with guns and this handgun will only be used for self defense purposes. We will both be taking the NRA safety course first, then contact the local PD to find a conceal carry permit class.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough answer you are seeking. I don't know if I AMA gun expert but I am obviously involved with guns quite a bit.

For a strictly speaking self defense gun for a women and not knowing her physical size and such I would say a smaller 380 caliper gun.

Smith and Wesson body guard 380
Sig/sauer p238

Both are small and easily concealed.

Getting a little bigger in size and caliper a smith and Wesson shield in 9mm or possible a ruger Lc9

Lastly the smallest caliper I would suggest and does not have the stopping power is a small 22. Ruger sr22 and many others are nice and small. Some will bark and say a 22 is not powerful enough. I say 10 rounds of 22 into someone is gonna hurt like hell.

Try and find a range that rents guns. Let her shoot a few and see what feels right to her.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking along the lines of a .22, but many websites I've looked at mention that a .22 does not have enough fire power to stop someone in their tracks. I'm thinking along the lines of a .38.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a concealed gun that hopefully won't be getting much use other than occasional firing range sessions to stay sharp, a .38 is a good choice and going with a revolver likely is best. Fewer parts means fewer things to go wrong if the gun hasn't been used/cleaned in a while. IMO those are best for personal defense because 6 shots should be enough and there is very little to them.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a concealed gun that hopefully won't be getting much use other than occasional firing range sessions to stay sharp, a .38 is a good choice and going with a revolver likely is best. Fewer parts means fewer things to go wrong if the gun hasn't been used/cleaned in a while. IMO those are best for personal defense because 6 shots should be enough and there is very little to them.

I agree with this completely. You can buy a .357 that will fire .38 rounds too in case you want
more stopping power at some point. It's always good to have options.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is why it is a tough question to answer. You will get a lot of thoughts.

My wife carries a Sig P238. Did I kinda push her to that yes I did. Smaller gun and not a extremely violent recoil and with hollow point rounds quite effective in short range situations.

FM mentioned a revolver and that also is a good choice. Smith and Wesson Jframe pistols come in various calipers and one that I very much like is 22magnum. That is quite a punch into the chest.

Practice is essential as well and not just range time. Is she going to conceal carry on person or throw it in pocketbook. I never suggest the pocketbook cause that is the first thing a attacker is gonna wanna grab. If on person I highly suggest unloading the gun safely and picking a wall and practicing drawing the gun. Hopefully of course she will never have to do it but fumbling around in that situation is not something that will result in a positive result.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking along the lines of a .22, but many websites I've looked at mention that a .22 does not have enough fire power to stop someone in their tracks. I'm thinking along the lines of a .38.

The way I see it is this:

Most 22's come with 10 round mags. Now is it going to be as effective as a 9mm or 45 caliper in "stopping" power of course not. However you nail someone in the chest with a round or 2 of 22 caliper and I would venture to say that most attackers are gonna turn and run.

Again if that is what she is comfortable shooting than that is the gun for her. If she is confident in hitting and shooting the gun the better off she will be.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you considered some other options, tazer? pepper spray?

i don't mind the gun option, just saying, I'd probably carry more than one option.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need some advice. My wife and I are going to be taking classes for a conceal carry permit. This is actually for her as she is working in a career field that will require her to travel long distances and includes work in a city with a rather high crime rate. There could be some traveling at night that includes areas that are not well lit. We don't anticipate problems, but I am a firm believer in preparing for the worst and knowing what to in those circumstances. So my question for the gun experts on this board is what type of handgun do you think is appropriate? My wife has little experience with guns and this handgun will only be used for self defense purposes. We will both be taking the NRA safety course first, then contact the local PD to find a conceal carry permit class.

I would be more concerned with the job description than what type of handgun to carry with a CC permit. I mean traveling into areas that are not well lit at night sounds sketchy at best for a woman. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but why put yourself in a dangerous predicament to begin with? One has to make split decisions when carrying a loaded weapon, add in darkness and a recipe for problems may become a result.

Like Ford said...a 5 shot revolver maybe the best weapon of choice IF one had to make a choice.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would make sure to look for the hammerless revolvers. Cuts down on the possibility of accidental firing, especially for concealed carry.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an NRA instructor, I applaud your decision to take a safety course, The Fist Steps or Basic Pistol courses are excellent. My experience is that many women have difficulty cycling a semi to chamber a round. My wife hates trying to work the slide on her Walther PPK, but shoots it excellently. Semis can also jam or malfunction, moreso than a revolver. I would suggest a .38; something like a Lady Smith, light but strong. If she wants a little more power she can shooter heavier +P loads. A 22 is just a little too light in my opinion, but in a pinch it is better than nothing.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you need to consider that hasn't been brought up is how is she going to conceal the handgun? On herself or say in a purse that's made for such purpose? That will help in making the right decision on the size of a handgun. Season change, therefore clothing changes and you may need to buy a few different type on concealment options.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife carries either the S&W .380 bodyguard or a Walther PPS .40. She prefers the Walther.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, kudos to you both for taking the NRA safety course. Though often smeared in the media as just a gun industry lobbying group, the NRA is the best teacher of gun safety...bar none.

OK, for a female novice shooter who intends to carry a concealed handgun, I'd vote for a .38 Special revolver. Several manufacturers offer small-framed, short-barrelled versions that are easy to conceal. And a .38 has good knockdown power, without a major kick that many women would have a problem with.

Yes, there are many good, compact semi-autos in 9mm or .380. But with a semi-auto, you have to chamber a round (which takes two hands) before you fire it...or keep one chambered, and trust the safety...which I don't like to do. With a revolver, you can just keep an empty chamber under the hammer, with the rest full, and not worry about it. Four or five rounds of .38 will stop almost any assailant, or two of 'em, long as your aim is good.

The other problem with semi-autos is that they can jam, in which case you need two hands and several seconds to clear it...which a mugging victim rarely has.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you considered some other options, tazer? pepper spray?

i don't mind the gun option, just saying, I'd probably carry more than one option.

Ohhhhhh, sure...leave it to MacGiver to suggest "other options."

Not everyone can take some string, a handful of paper clips and a gum wrapper, and build a nuclear reactor, ya know.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glock 42, which is a slimline .380, no external safety (like all Glocks). I would have her start by trying out one of these at a rental range. Autos are more reliable than ever barring user error. She should practice and become proficient no matter what she chooses. I'm also a big fan of the M&P Shields which now come with or without an external safety in .40 and 9mm.

And load her up with some Hornady Critical Defense ammo. :2cents:

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if this was addressed. Make sure she knows where her permit is valid. In NY you need a special permit to carry in NYC.

Also not all States are reciprocal.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was addressed. Make sure she knows where her permit is valid. In NY you need a special permit to carry in NYC.

Also not all States are reciprocal.
Excellent point as he mentioned traveling.

The PK

Capo Di Tutti Capi
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I am knowledgeable about firearms, but not an expert. I would recommend the following, try before you buy. If possible. For me, I carry a Sig Sauer 1911. For a woman, a subcompact nine mm, small, easily concealed, and fairly low recoil.

The PK

Capo Di Tutti Capi
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the revolver versus semi auto reliability debate, I feel it needs to be said. A high quality semi auto that is properly maintained is a low risk to jam. I've had one stove pipe with my 1911, and I was shooting steel cased cheap Russian ammo at the range. I've put well over 5k rounds through it since then, without a malfunction. IMO, it was the ammo.