• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps one of the Worst trades in Sports History....

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years I have posted with many of you. Many times you have all seen me just go off the deep end pissed about something. This trade has made me feel like someone shot my dog. I just can not believe a man of Chip Kellys intelligence could agree to such a lopsided deal. Sam Bradford was rumored to possibly be cut by June 1...and We give up Nick Foles a young, promising Qb that is 14-4 with a pro bowl and 2 HEALTHY knees! We get a guy in return that has two blown knees and at a 16 million dollar cap figure! What the fuck is that, then on top of it we give them a 2nd rd pick??? I mean the damn commissioner should have Chip checked for a concussion. I don't care if this is part of another possible trade, the fact still remains how much we gave up for an OVER payed busted Qb. I don't know how much more of this I can endure, this absolutely stunned me, no, it paralyzed me. :burt:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years I have posted with many of you. Many times you have all seen me just go off the deep end pissed about something. This trade has made me feel like someone shot my dog. I just can not believe a man of Chip Kellys intelligence could agree to such a lopsided deal. Sam Bradford was rumored to possibly be cut by June 1...and We give up Nick Foles a young, promising Qb that is 14-4 with a pro bowl and 2 HEALTHY knees! We get a guy in return that has two blown knees and at a 16 million dollar cap figure! What the fuck is that, then on top of it we give them a 2nd rd pick??? I mean the damn commissioner should have Chip checked for a concussion. I don't care if this is part of another possible trade, the fact still remains how much we gave up for an OVER payed busted Qb. I don't know how much more of this I can endure, this absolutely stunned me, no, it paralyzed me. :burt:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nuts. Foles is NOT HOF. Get over it. You apparently loved Reid and NO SB. Give Chipper 5 years eh?

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I log in and see the thread title it makes me laugh. Quite an overreaction.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier the Herschel Walker (Dallas to Minnesota trade) has been called the worst trade in NFL history even though Cowboys fans loved it.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Bradford - Philadelphia Eagles - 2015 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from West Virginia's pro day Friday that "some coaches" in attendance are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.
There's some belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall and give coach Chip Kelly a chance to select Marcus Mariota. One would then ask, "Why didn't the Rams deal directly with the Titans then?" The Titans didn't have a quarterback like Nick Foles to send the Rams back in Bradford talks, and the Rams may not be high on Mariota. We know Kelly is, as he has stated numerous times. As we've learned with Kelly, he has no fear and isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. Mar 15 - 12:12 PM
Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Sounds like the scenario I brought up.

It doesn't say anything about TRADING Bradford to the Titans, only used as trade bait to get up there...ie - trading with Cleveland for 19 and using 19/20 plus others to move up...

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Its not unprecedented for QBs to play well after returning from ACL injury. Both Tom Brady and Donovan McNabb have. A Look at Quarterback ACL Tears: Will RGIII Bounce Back?
- Your simply wrong on your last 12 Super Bowl QBs. Drew Brees was an injury risk that the Saints took a flyer on and they won a Super Bowl with him. And Brad Johnson was a Minnesota draftee who won a Super Bowl for Tampa 12 years ago. Going back further, you will find Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Doug Williams and Jim Plunkett all won Super Bowls while playing for the team that didn't draft them. There is hardly a magic formula for keeping your drafted QB to win a Super Bowl.
- Signing Sanchez to me is great risk mitigation and the sort of move good teams do. You never put your fate in the health or performance of just one player. You should always have a backup plan. Its why the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers and kept him on the bench for several years behind Favre and the 49ers traded for Steve Young and kept him on the bench behind Joe Montana.
- Kelly spent 4 weeks studying this before he pulled the trigger. I would say he probably knows more about Bradford's knee and his prospects than either you or I.

At the end of the day, its never going to be a horrible trade unless one of these guys goes on to a hall of fame career and the other one does not. Today though, its little more that a starting QB swap plus a #2. That is not a huge risk and doesn't come anywhere close to being even under consideration for historically good or bad as there simply isn't that much put at risk.

I believe that Kelly simply didn't like Foles that much and if he kept him was considering giving Sanchez the start over him. If Kelly thought that way, it's really a no brainer to trade Foles while he still had value.

1. Point one is an apples and oranges comparision. Neither came off twice tearing the same ACL in a 20 month timeperiod. But both do however prove that you are not the same when you come back.RGIII had super star written all over him before he got hurt, now he has been replaced by Kurt Cousins how many times?

2. Typo it was actually the last 10 years. However point is recent history says QB drafted and developed by your own team wins Super Bowls much more than one that was discarded by another team

3. Signing Sanchez is risk mitigation but it also underscores how bad the Bradford deal was. You dont deal what we dealt plus pay Bradford salary for a IF.

4. You can study what you want about a player but that is all pre injury to the same leg. Simply put nobody knows what Bradford is at this point and they wont until he is on the field. If he is on the field. I would not say Chip Kelly is any smarter than me or you. Just because we didnt choose the path of NFL GM as our profession doesnt mean he is smarter than we are.

At the end of the day its a horrible trade. You simply dont give away things in this league. If we would have traded Kendricks instead of a 2nd round pick in that deal or Jordan Mathews etc. You all would have really been up in arms. The fact is both players were 2nd round picks.

EagleUpNorth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Point one is an apples and oranges comparision. Neither came off twice tearing the same ACL in a 20 month timeperiod. But both do however prove that you are not the same when you come back.RGIII had super star written all over him before he got hurt, now he has been replaced by Kurt Cousins how many times?

2. Typo it was actually the last 10 years. However point is recent history says QB drafted and developed by your own team wins Super Bowls much more than one that was discarded by another team

3. Signing Sanchez is risk mitigation but it also underscores how bad the Bradford deal was. You dont deal what we dealt plus pay Bradford salary for a IF.

4. You can study what you want about a player but that is all pre injury to the same leg. Simply put nobody knows what Bradford is at this point and they wont until he is on the field. If he is on the field. I would not say Chip Kelly is any smarter than me or you. Just because we didnt choose the path of NFL GM as our profession doesnt mean he is smarter than we are.

At the end of the day its a horrible trade. You simply dont give away things in this league. If we would have traded Kendricks instead of a 2nd round pick in that deal or Jordan Mathews etc. You all would have really been up in arms. The fact is both players were 2nd round picks.

The second rounder could easily be j. Jarrett, Nate Allen, Trevor laws, Victor abiamiri, Matt mccoy, etc etc...

Either way, chip did not want to go into year 3 with foles. He'd seen enough of the same mistakes over and over again in the previous 2 years. Throwing off the back foot, short and deep inaccuracy, and not seeing wide open receivers.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the scenario I brought up.

It doesn't say anything about TRADING Bradford to the Titans, only used as trade bait to get up there...ie - trading with Cleveland for 19 and using 19/20 plus others to move up...

The problem with that is I think Tenn will want Bradford much like the Rams wanted a QB in exchange. the Browns offered the 19th pick to the Rams for Bradford and they said no. Then they offered it to the Eagles and again they said no. Its tough to give up a QB with out getting one back or your screwed unless you have another on your roster. IM thinking he trades Bradford and another player. I was thinking Murray since Chip actually picked Matthews first? but looking at Murray's contract I don't think he's tradable with a 18m dead space number!! Maybe they trade Matthews but it still looks like a 5m cap hit for the Eagles. I'm still trying to figure out what chip is going to do but I'm not sold he is keeping Bradford. Tenn has been pretty quiet in FA and they have a lot of cap space. 35m. are they saving it for Bradford and another player?? Tenn needs a QB and a RB...

Last edited:

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. Sometimes I wonder why I provide this free education. Let me give this another try....

1. You seem to have found the RGIII discussion in the article soon enough, but missed the Brady and McNabb part. Two out of the three players discussed came back stronger and better than pre injury. With Bradford, he never ran a 40 faster than 4.8 anyways, so a torn ACL is not the same thing to him as it is to RGIII. I have no doubt that Bradford is an injury risk. Foles has also been hurt two of the last three years as well.

2. You made more than a Typo. Brees won a Super Bowl 5 years ago, but more importantly is the point that there were 6 other QBs that won a Super Bowl with the team that didn't draft them. While good quarterbacks generally don't switch teams too often, when they do, they still have success. Your logic is fundamentally backwards though. Just because good quarterbacks stay put alot, doesn't mean that keeping an average quarterback will make him a Super Bowl winner. League history is fully of mediocre QBs that spent the bulk of their careers with one team and never sniffed a Super Bowl.

3. Good teams invest in good backup QBs. By your logic, the 49ers never should have traded a 2nd round draft pick for Steve Young when Joe Montana was in his prime. Young sat on the bench for 3 years without sniffing playing time. When I look at a team roster for an NFL team, I think its usually very telling who the backup QB is. The bad teams have nothing in that spot, while the good teams often have a proven veteran or a promising rookie in that spot.

4. So Chip Kelly may not be smarter than me, but I will acknowledge that he knows alot more about Bradford's knee than me. He spent 4 weeks studying the situation, with complete access. He has talked first hand to the coaches and doctors. I think its more productive to deduce what he learned and knows rather than second guess him. It seems clear to me that he simply thinks that Bradford can win him more games in 2015 than Foles can.

At the end of the day, its an excellent trade. You take two QBs that have good potential, but had worn out their welcome with their current coaches and you are giving both of them a fresh start. I don't think Kelly was going to start Foles over Sanchez this year, so if that was the case (which he will never say publicly), than the trade was really a no brainer.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I log in and see the thread title it makes me laugh. Quite an overreaction.

Over reaction huh? We traded a healthy young QB plus a 2nd rd pick for a guy with blown knees....Seems like a Warranted reaction to me. Again I don't care if Bradford ends up being Tom Brady, there is no way Chip should have had to throw a 2nd rd pick in there for him...UNLESS he already had a deal worked out with Tampa Bay, then this whole thread would be a moot point. To give that much up for a QB with 2 ACL tears, and mediocre stats at best in 4 seasons is in fact INSANE.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over reaction huh? We traded a healthy young QB plus a 2nd rd pick for a guy with blown knees....Seems like a Warranted reaction to me. Again I don't care if Bradford ends up being Tom Brady, there is no way Chip should have had to throw a 2nd rd pick in there for him...UNLESS he already had a deal worked out with Tampa Bay, then this whole thread would be a moot point. To give that much up for a QB with 2 ACL tears, and mediocre stats at best in 4 seasons is in fact INSANE.

Just to clarify, Bradford has only injured one of his knees. If your correct that Bradford is not healthy enough to play, then you are entirely correct. Somehow though, I think that the Eagles and the other team willing to spend a first rounder on the guy have much more accurate information on his health than you do. Especially when you don't even know that only one of his knees has been injured. lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to give something to get something.

The fact is that despite how you want to characterize Bradford, he was a wanted man and we had to beat other offers to get him.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, Bradford has only injured one of his knees. If your correct that Bradford is not healthy enough to play, then you are entirely correct. Somehow though, I think that the Eagles and the other team willing to spend a first rounder on the guy have much more accurate information on his health than you do. Especially when you don't even know that only one of his knees has been injured. lol
I said he had 2 ACL tears, which he did....yes same knee but 2 ACL tears.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i see because I said blown knees...figure of speech.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys figure we have Tom Brady now....Cool...I hope your right.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i see because I said blown knees...figure of speech.

Okay. Still. What makes you the medical expert? Why do you assume you know more about this than Kelly?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And really, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the medical experts have Bradford as a big medical risk. Because the other side of this trade is Foles, and I think it is very possible that Kelly viewed Foles as a lesser QB than Sanchez. Add in the fact that Foles rightfully expects his contract to be torn up and given a huge raise (which Kelly may have been unwilling to do if he thought Sanchez was the better QB), than why not roll the dice with Bradford? All your really giving up is your backup QB (who would definitely leave after this year anyways if he was benched and not given a new contract) and a #2.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both QBs are injured, so it just boils down to Chip liking Bradford more than Foles, and thinks he can work with him, if his knee is OK. Chip didn't feel Foles can run his offense, and not just not being mobile, but making quick decisions and having a quick release. So, if he doesn't trade Bradford, which I don't think he will (Demarco would feel betrayed for one), Sam is the guy. If he does trade him, then Chip drafts his QB of the future, whether it is MM, Hundley, Grayson, Bennett, etc.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y

you forgot to mention the 12m salary that came with it.