• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens News/Links

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, very good.

Contrast Shero with Paul Holmgren who makes video game deals, sometimes they work out brilliantly. Sometimes they fail miserably.

So true

As for his deals he must do a great job selling the Penguin prospects in all of these deals. Going back to the Hossa deal i remember a lot of folks upset that they lost a lot of depth but look at that depth now.

Hossa/Dupuis still in the NHL
vs
Armstrong in the NHL Christensen KHL/Esposito - Italy/the pick is in the AHL - (ironically enough was in Wheeling for most of the season).

The Staal deal I think what helped was the fact going in Carolina knew he would sign long-term with them.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article discussing the recent Ducks contracts to Perry and Getzlaf and their impact on Geno and Letang's upcoming deals:

Y! SPORTS

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully players follow Sid's example and take less... but

Sid 8, Geno 9, Letang 6(?), Neal 5, Fleury 5 = 37 million on 5 players. Roughly 23 million left for 18 players.. that's tough..

Also, I think Neal was a RFA not a UFA... a lot less power as a RFA.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We have d prospects, but they don't turn into minute eating, Norris trophey canidates over night... Letang is more important to the Penguins... We can replce Malkin, we have Sid. Malkin can be turned into more... like a 2nd line center and winger... Taylor Hall and Eberle... not implying just saying.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a personal opinion...

but the only way Shero will be willing to give up Malkin to another GM/team is if they can pry him from his cold dead hands.

I just don't see it. Shero made many soundbites post J. Staal trade that he was very disappointed that he had to give up a homegrown, supremely talented center. You just don't grow centers like him on trees.

Not that you can grow defensemen on trees with the skill-set that Letang possesses, but Shero does have depth among blueliner prospects that he just doesn't have among the center position. This will go into his decision making.

If it were to come down to a decision between Malkin or Letang, I think Shero sticks with the big Russian.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My thinking is it took Letang years to develop into where he is, if one of prospects works out to be the next Kris LEtang, it'll be years away... years.... the Pens can't wait years, Sid and company are in their primes now... we have no depth up front, but Malkin, IMO, can get turned into that depth.. Malkin will bring more in return than Letang... Letang is more important to the make-up of this team, regardless of prospects (because they are prospects) than Malkin because we already have Sid to replace Malkin... but no one can replace Letang on the Pens. Malkin can/will be turned into our 2nd line basically.

I would love for the Pens to keep both and field a competitve team.. I just don't think they can... and IMO, Letang can not be replaced currently within the Pens, but Malkin can, he is Sid. We already have a #1 center... we don't need two, (want two, but don't think you can have two) and Malkin will bring the Pens more in return, that'll go a long way, if a decision has too be made.

This talk will continue on draft day... until then, we need them both back and healthy.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a highlight of last night's game given the NHL 94 effect.

The NHL has been doing this all season, first I saw it. Pretty cool
Y! SPORTS

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kovacevic: Iginla wings it in Penguins debut | TribLIVE
"I'm sitting here looking across the room and thinking, ‘Man, that's Jarome Iginla!'" defenseman Matt Niskanen recalled.

Around noon, for the first time in his NHL career, Iginla donned something other than the flaming "C."

"The closest thing was my first game, when I was 18 and trying to stay calm," Iginla said of his Calgary debut Oct. 5, 1996.

"Then I tell myself, ‘Oh, I've played lots of games, just relax.' But pulling the jersey on for the first time and going out for warmups ... I was just trying to stay out of people's way."[