• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's agree to disagree .. The residual effects (loss of boosters, ticket sales, etc.) of this will cripple this program for years in my opinion. One year of football receipts might cover the $60 million in a typical Joe-Pa PSU season .. but this is Penn State 2012, with a new unproven coach, a black cloud over Beaver Stadium, and a lot of ass whippings in their near future. And who knows what kind of punishment the Big 10 will shell out.

Most 2+ star recruits with other FBS options will probably opt for those options. Maybe their talent falling to FCS level is a stretch ... but they won't be competing in the B1G ... for a while. I guess that most of this depends on what their existing players do. Their recruiting will totally suck for the next few years though.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And who's to say that O'Brien sticks around? I'd be looking for the first train out of State College if I was him.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've got to believe the top-notch players will be contacting other schools. Any player on the team is allowed to transfer to other schools without penalty. Some phone lines will be heating up.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hackenberg has already stated that he wants to play in a bowl game .. He is as good as gone IMO .. Maybe he'll commit to UVA :D

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of scholarships could have been a little worse imo. The bowl ban is sort of a joke....odds of PSU being bowl eligible will be pretty slim, so the bowl ban may not even have an impact.

I saw some figures the other day on the PSU football revenue's. They have been one of the top revenue earners in recent years....right up there with Texas. The $60 million is really chump change in the grand scheme of things for PSU.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like to me that if you're already at Penn State, you might be tempted to stay, but if you're a 2012 or 2013 recruit, you'd be looking elsewhere.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really an option. He knew the risks when he signed on.

Sure he did. But he signed on prior to the Freeh report and I highly doubt he knew the penalties/allegations would be quite like this. I don't think he bolts out of town like a bat outta hell, BUT honestly, it wouldn't shock me. I don't think this will ultimately put PSU in the FBS bottom dweller category (with Indiana, Vandy, and Duke) but I completely expect this situation, along with an somewhat unproven coaching staff, to have a long term significant impact on this program. This will cripple the recruiting for at least the next 5 years..and it will take another 5 years of very good recruiting to get back into just being competitive. The only thing that can save them from 10-20 years of mediocrity IMO is if the staff is better than advertised and they can keep the ship afloat for the next 5 years. They need to be in damage control mode and just pray they can hold onto some of the kids they have landed the last few years. The money/fine will not kill the university (although as 46 said...60 million is only the tip of the iceberg...until the victims start to sue). I just think it is overall a terrible and unfortunate situation for this well respected university to be in. The actions (or lack of) of a handful of very important people within this university will set this program back for years...

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usc was banned from the postseason for 2 years and lost 20 schollies. psu banned 4 years and lost 40 schollies. same ratio, just longer period. i really think they should have lost more schollies. i don't think the ncaa was harsh enough to be honest, but maybe im the minority on this one.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU will be irrelevant for at least a decade from this. They really can't recruit big time players until the 2016 season and then will the PSU name be able to draw the big time players back right away?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usc was banned from the postseason for 2 years and lost 20 schollies. psu banned 4 years and lost 40 schollies. same ratio, just longer period. i really think they should have lost more schollies. i don't think the ncaa was harsh enough to be honest, but maybe im the minority on this one.

It is really hard to tell a top notch kid that he will never play in a bowl game.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe they lost 10 for this year and 20 for the next 4 years.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.
from ESPN

I agree it could have been harsher but I still think it is pretty bad. I think they should have gotten a 1 or 2 year DP then the imposed penalties.

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really like Zach Zwinak the fullback we recruited a couple years back. If i remember correctly we were in his final two but he chose Psu. Hope he goes to tech

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah ok, the junkies said a total of 40 schollies. after some digging, usc lost 30 schollies over 3 years. looks like psu will lose 90 over 5 years including this year...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree with you.. but it is a totally different situation. I am not sure what good MORE penalties than they received would do other than completely devastate the program. Any more and I would agree, the death penalty for a year or two would be preferable. I am not familiar with State College and the surrounding areas (never been there) but I would say it sounds alot like Blacksburg. Everything and everyone in this area is affected by this. Many of these everyday people's (just like you and I) lives, businesses, and livelihood depends on the success of PSU (and in some ways..the athletics). I am not saying these people will starve to death..but in all honesty it may affect them financially (hotels, resturants, businesses, etc.)
I think if anything like this happened to VT, it would be a similar outcome. Blacksburg/Christiansburg/and the NRV wouldn't completely go off the map...but over time people would be affected. It is just the demographics of the situation...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Zach Zwinak the fullback we recruited a couple years back. If i remember correctly we were in his final two but he chose Psu. Hope he goes to tech

Agree. If I remember he was one of the top rated guys in MD, #1 FB nationally, a good player. Wonder how he has been doing up there???

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he could definitly be an added element to our option offense