• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State: Possible Lengthy Bowl Ban amd Scholarship Losses

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be as much difference between Europe and America as there is between the two forms of punishment. Different people react differently than others, but I agree if it's not working here, we need to try something different than we are. But it won't necessarily be what works there as the right answer. It can't hurt to try... or maybe it could. Depending on what the person answering this question thinks about the situation.

I think our justice system absolutely sucks. No one is afraid of it. No one is afraid of our prisons. I've known a bunch of people who went to jail/prison and didn't mind it at all.

Death row? Pfft. What are the chances anyone gets death row? And if they do they're usually thrown in jail for 20-30 years before they get injected.

A high school friend of mine went to prison for attempted homocide. When he came out he said that he actually LIKED prison. He ate, drank, worked out, played basketball, and watched TV the entire time. And guess who's paying for all of that?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our justice system absolutely sucks. No one is afraid of it. No one is afraid of our prisons. I've known a bunch of people who went to jail/prison and didn't mind it at all.

Death row? Pfft. What are the chances anyone gets death row? And if they do they're usually thrown in jail for 20-30 years before they get injected.

A high school friend of mine went to prison for attempted homocide. When he came out he said that he actually LIKED prison. He ate, drank, worked out, played basketball, and watched TV the entire time. And guess who's paying for all of that?

Not that crime or punishment is inherently conservative or liberal, but I've always tried to think in both ways. Conservative here, liberal there, middle in some places. However, I've found that people think I'm conservative when I state something a little to the right, but when I say something liberal, people act like I'm finally making sense - which makes me feel I'm being mainstream, gullible, and go with popular opinion. When I'm in the middle, I write my novels and both sides claim me (or ignore me, I know people don't read all of my posts).

Anyway, this is an issue where I lean toward harsher penalties. I think everyone has an excuse and people are so quick to help those who are found guilty that I think people really forget about the victims. This is where being political is silly, I don't care what libs or conservatives think, I try to figure out what seems fair to the victims. I think they'd want the real guy found guilty, so I support the right to trial, innocence before proven guilty, and thurough evaluation of the effectiveness and reliability of evidence. But I don't worry for a second for those who are guilty (of which most who are found guilty are). I'm not directly involved, I'm sure I'd be a little different if I were handling the cases because I wouldn't know if they were guilty. I'm talking about in a world where we know - those people, depending on the crime, I don't worry about their life that much. Perhaps it's because I know it isn't that harsh. Perhaps if they started doing really bad things, I'd care a little... depending on what they did. Free room and board for criminals? No thanks. My solution? Let me get back to you on that but it isn't lighter sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that crime or punishment is inherently conservative or liberal, but I've always tried to think in both ways. Conservative here, liberal there, middle in some places. However, I've found that people think I'm conservative when I state something a little to the right, but when I say something liberal, people act like I'm finally making sense - which makes me feel I'm being mainstream, gullible, and go with popular opinion. When I'm in the middle, I write my novels and both sides claim me (or ignore me, I know people don't read all of my posts).

Anyway, this is an issue where I lean toward harsher penalties. I think everyone has an excuse and people are so quick to help those who are found guilty that I think people really forget about the victims. This is where being political is silly, I don't care what libs or conservatives think, I try to figure out what seems fair. Free room and board for criminals? No thanks. My solution? Let me get back to you on that but it isn't lighter sentences.

Completely agree. In fact, I'm a big supporter of a death penalty. A quicker, cheaper version of the death penalty for those who murder. Take the theater shooter for example. One well placed bullet to the head should do the job. I don't give a shit about a trial, and I could care less if he's mentally ill. This guy gave up his right to live amongst humans the moment he pulled the trigger.

Our overcrowded prisons have done NOTHING to deter criminal behavior.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just wanted to make a quick comment about the Western Europe jail time arguement here.

You seem to want it both ways. First you argue China's low crime rate (and countries similar to China like Singapore) is due to cultural differences, but then you make a 1 to 1 comparison between the US and Western Europe based on jail sentences.

I honestly don't know how tough Western Europe is on crime; I only know the US is a big ol' vag' when it comes to crime. Based on what you were saying, Western Europe is slightly more lenient than the US, but it's pretty close. However, a country like China is SEVERELY more strict on crime than either the US or western Europe, and they have a severely lower crime rate than either one.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been meaning to read to Freeh Report but I'm far too lazy...

But dragging out the players and fans to lynch instead of the actual perpetrators doesn't scare top officials into not covering up wrong doing. All it's doing is proving the NCAA's system of justice cares more about saving face than obtaining any sort of retribution.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But dragging out the players and fans to lynch instead of the actual perpetrators doesn't scare top officials into not covering up wrong doing.

Ok, let's not over-do this so called "punishment" of Penn State players. It's not like they're saying these students can't go to college. Football is a privilege that can be taken away. It's not a right; it's a game. The ones who want to make football their careers can transfer.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, let's not over-do this so called "punishment" of Penn State players. It's not like they're saying these students can't go to college. Football is a privilege that can be taken away. It's not a right; it's a game. The ones who want to make football their careers can transfer.

Perhaps the student athletes like the education they're getting at PSU

Maybe they don't want to relocate at rival school like Pittsburgh or travel across the nation five weeks before school starts

Some of the players have families making relocation even more difficult

Just take into consideration the expenses of their traveling

Other schools don't have to take some of the fringe players(i.e walk-ons and players recruited only by PSU)

As if giving them the right to transfer and eligibility to play this year is compensation enough is ridiculous. Let's say Silas Redd whose name has been linked with USC does in fact leave -- it's not fair he won't be on the same playing field as his fellow teammates in terms of knowing the playbook.

This IS a punishment to the fans and especially the players.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I never said it wasn't an inconvenience to PSU players. I objected to the analogy of lynching them because they're having a game taken away from them, not their lives. If they like the education they get at PSU then they can stay. They won't be able to play football, but they can still go to school.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, let's not over-do this so called "punishment" of Penn State players. It's not like they're saying these students can't go to college. Football is a privilege that can be taken away. It's not a right; it's a game. The ones who want to make football their careers can transfer.[/QUOTE]

yep, even the University of Hawaii is recruiting a few players.

general comment on capital punishment................i'm ok with stronger penalties but thats really the band aid, not the cure. to cure (actually reduce cause there is no cure) these rampant criminal activities, we need to address the family unit.

yeah i know, easier said than done. its a huge problem and why i said 'reduce'. anyways, doesn't it start with being good parents?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
general comment on capital punishment................i'm ok with stronger penalties but thats really the band aid, not the cure. to cure (actually reduce cause there is no cure) these rampant criminal activities, we need to address the family unit.

yeah i know, easier said than done. its a huge problem and why i said 'reduce'. anyways, doesn't it start with being good parents?

I'm trying to do my part, but I don't know how to help others. Obviously, I'm not the perfect parent, but I feel there are some things I can do. One is lead by example. One is education. One is teaching my daughter how to make decisions. There's more but I'm not going to list them all. I haven't been able to do that much yet because she's only 15 months. More later because I got to go.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm trying to do my part, but I don't know how to help others. Obviously, I'm not the perfect parent, but I feel there are some things I can do. One is lead by example. One is education. One is teaching my daughter how to make decisions. There's more but I'm not going to list them all. I haven't been able to do that much yet because she's only 15 months. More later because I got to go.

good man! what you're doing is far more than these broken families we see nationwide.

again, we all know it won't be cured, but point is..........it starts with mostly everyone. by the time a man is facing criminal charges.......its way too late.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep, even the University of Hawaii is recruiting a few players.

Good parenting will always be "a part" of the solution for improving society in general but then you get into the debate of what types of social structures and social mores are the foundation of creating good parents and what is good parenting.

Was Natalee Holloway's mom/dad being good parents when they allowed her to go to Aruba? You can see how the debate can quickly get out of hand.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

vWoxF.gif

Don't forget to teach her to look out for dogs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish that sick old fuck Paterno was still alive to take his just medicine. What a scumbag allowing that shit to go on and on so he could protect the reputation of the football program.