• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn state 2019 Recruiting Thread

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't get pushed out. I think Kelly is probably a better player than whatever 2nd RB or QB they realistically could get.

I'd take Noah Cain over Kelly all day long

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Noah Cain over Kelly all day long

I would too but I don't see Cain as realistic at this point. I always viewed Cain as a longshot and even more so now that Ford is already in the fold. I don't think PSU is in a position to land another big time player at QB or RB in this cycle, which is why I'm in favor of taking Kelly. Only QB that I know of that PSU is in on is Michael Johnson, which seems like a longshot. Then at RB there's Cain, who I would take over Kelly, but like I said, also seems like a longshot at this point. Then you move on to guys like Eric Gray and Keilan Robinson, both of whom I would take Kelly over. Maybe they can get in the mix on a quality guy, but I don't see that happening at this point in the cycle.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would too but I don't see Cain as realistic at this point. I always viewed Cain as a longshot and even more so now that Ford is already in the fold. I don't think PSU is in a position to land another big time player at QB or RB in this cycle, which is why I'm in favor of taking Kelly. Only QB that I know of that PSU is in on is Michael Johnson, which seems like a longshot. Then at RB there's Cain, who I would take over Kelly, but like I said, also seems like a longshot at this point. Then you move on to guys like Eric Gray and Keilan Robinson, both of whom I would take Kelly over. Maybe they can get in the mix on a quality guy, but I don't see that happening at this point in the cycle.

If Cain makes a second trip back on his own dime, I think he's a very real possibility. I think they stay at 1 RB unless its a stud because we are in great shape with several studs next year including Marshawn Lloyd, Chris Tyree and Jalen Berger

Staff knows what they are doing, also have a better idea of who may leave/transfer from roster after next season or leave early for NFL, thus knowing what depth they need where.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cain makes a second trip back on his own dime, I think he's a very real possibility. I think they stay at 1 RB unless its a stud because we are in great shape with several studs next year including Marshawn Lloyd, Chris Tyree and Jalen Berger

Staff knows what they are doing, also have a better idea of who may leave/transfer from roster after next season or leave early for NFL, thus knowing what depth they need where.

For sure. I definitely trust the staff to know what they're doing. I'll be kind of disappointed if they can't fit Kelly in but it is what it is. The '19 class will be loaded with or without him.

That being said, the fact that it seem like he's heavily leaning to PSU and announced a commitment date makes me think PSU gave him the greenlight. The Marquis Wilson commitment was a surprise, but I think most people expected him to land there at some point or another. I guess the other way you could look at it is that Wilson saw the writing on the wall and wanted to make sure he got that spot instead of Kelly and went ahead and committed. Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic that they can squeeze Kelly in there. But if they do try to put him on hold when he announces on June 8th, I think he goes to Clemson and we can forget about him after that. I feel like it's now or never to get him in the class.

Last edited:

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got 2 players today. Geez only 1 of them was a 5 star. The other guy only a 4 star player. Geez we are slacking this year. :dhd:

We Are .... :#1:

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph and Smith both commit, as expected. Class is sitting at 8 now, word is that this class will be a bit smaller, probably between like 19-21 commits. Who are we looking at to fill out the rest of the class? I'll give my predictions

QB: probably done at QB this year, apparently the staff wanted to take 2 but I don't think there are really any realistic options at QB right now. Only big time QB they are in on to my knowledge is Michael Johnson and that seems like a longshot. If they do take another one, I'd expect it to be a guy that comes on the radar late.

RB: probably done here as well. Noah Cain, Eric Gray, and Keilan Robinson are all still on the board but the only one that's even slightly realistic from that group is Cain and it seems like PSU has ground to make up for him.

WR: Still hold the CB lead for John Metchie. Took 3 WR last year so if they land Metchie they might only take 1 this year. There's also some interest in Jamarkis Weston, who's a current Florida commit but has a 100% CB to flip to PSU.

TE: Doesn't appear to be much activity with the TE position this year. Could see them not taking one in this cycle. The one guy that they do appear to have targeted though is Isaiah Foskey.

OL: Appear to be in the drivers seat for all 4 of Saleem Wormley, Xavier Truss, Anthony Whigan, and Jakai Moore. All those guys would be nice gets for the OL. Still in contact with 5* OT Devontae Dobbs as well though that looks like a longshot.

DE: Adisa Issac, Hakeem Beamon, David Ojabo, Joseph Wete, Derrick Hunter appear to be some of the top guys that the staff has targeted. PSU looks to be in a pretty good position with Issac, Beamon, and Ojabo. There has also been some recent rumblings that PSU is a much larger contender for Zach Harrison (#1 player in the country right now) than previously thought. He's near Columbus so most assumed he was an OSU lock but apparently PSU has made some serious inroads in his recruitment. Stealing a top 10 player from OSU's back yard would probably be the sweetest thing I could think of for this 2019 cycle.

DT: Look to be in a good position for Rodas Johnson. Some other targets include Mazi Smith, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Ben Smiley, and Steven Faucheux.

LB: Rumors that the staff only wants to take one other LB besides Smith. Lance Dixon and Andre White (Texas A&M) commit seem to be the two guys that they would want to fill that spot.

DB: Cam'Ron Kelly committing on June 8th, CB is pointing to PSU but there's a possibility he gets shut out because of all the DB's they've already taken. Lewis Cine is really the only other DB target worth mentioning at this point.

This class is shaping up to potentially be great. Probably won't finish as high overall as the 2018 class because of the smaller number of commits but I think the average star ranking could potentially be higher. 2020 looks like it could be the best yet, exciting times for PSU football. What do you guys foresee happening the rest of this cycle?

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21-23 is number I have heard

Your info is probably more reliable than mine lol. The DL situation seems the most fluid at the moment, who do you think they end up with there? I think my dream scenario would be Beamon, Ojabo, Isaac, Harrison, Johnson, and Harrison-Hunte.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Isaac and Harrison-Hunte most likely. If they can land Zach Harrision, it would be monster pull

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Isaac and Harrison-Hunte most likely. If they can land Zach Harrision, it would be monster pull

I'm a fan of Isaac. He seems like he's pretty high on PSU. Feel like they have a real chance at Beamon as well. Only CB submitted for him since his decommitment from UNC was for PSU. Seems like he might announce soon as well. He put out a tweet last week with a date, didn't specifically say he was committing that day but I don't know why else he'd tweet the date. His mother also quoted it and said something along the lines of "I've enjoyed watching you on your journey etc." Seems like he's close to making a commitment. I'm a big fan of his as well.

Don't know as much about Harrison-Hunte but if the staff likes him, I'll trust their judgement. And yeah, it goes without saying that pulling Harrison out of OSU's back yard would be an enormous win.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Josh Gattis is paying huge dividends for Alabama already. Last year Bama was barely in the top 50 in recruiting 9 weeks into the season. (yes they did finish strong) Now Bama is #1 in ranking with a lot of commits coming from North Eastern states which we were in contention for. I really think Gattis's ties to these players had a huge affect of them going down to Bama.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Josh Gattis is paying huge dividends for Alabama already. Last year Bama was barely in the top 50 in recruiting 9 weeks into the season. (yes they did finish strong) Now Bama is #1 in ranking with a lot of commits coming from North Eastern states which we were in contention for. I really think Gattis's ties to these players had a huge affect of them going down to Bama.

Alfano is only guy we have lost to Bama this cycle and we could've had him in December, but he has off field issues. Franklin wanted to see more progress than he did before taking his pledge, Bama had no reservations and he liked it there. Bama will get there's, whether its now or December, don't think its a product of Gattis, they have been winning the recruiting war for almost a full decade.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen articles on Wallace and Smith. Both could be nice signings!

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hakeem Beamon moved his commitment date up to Friday, things looking pretty good there. Beamon is a really nice player. Also saw a UVA CB come in for Kelly, granted the writer it came from has a pretty terrible track record of CBs. But it could possibly a sign that he's going to get squeezed out of the class? I really hope that's not the case, I'm a big fan of Kelly as a player. If they are squeezing Kelly out though does that mean they like their chances with Cine?

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hakeem Beamon moved his commitment date up to Friday, things looking pretty good there. Beamon is a really nice player. Also saw a UVA CB come in for Kelly, granted the writer it came from has a pretty terrible track record of CBs. But it could possibly a sign that he's going to get squeezed out of the class? I really hope that's not the case, I'm a big fan of Kelly as a player. If they are squeezing Kelly out though does that mean they like their chances with Cine?

Kelly is shutout. Cine will take last spot in secondary. Sounds like Kelly committed, but wanted to take another visit or 2 before going public, his ship opened and Wilson snapped it up. I'd say they feel pretty good about Cine.

Beamon is PSU.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly is shutout. Cine will take last spot in secondary. Sounds like Kelly committed, but wanted to take another visit or 2 before going public, his ship opened and Wilson snapped it up. I'd say they feel pretty good about Cine.

Beamon is PSU.

That's disappointing. I like Kelly as a player more than some of the current DB commits they have. Oh well.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam'Ron Kelly pulls the stunner and commits to VT. Seemed like he was all Clemson but apparently he told all the staffs that were recruiting him that he wanted to play CB at the next level instead of safety where most teams were recruiting him (including Clemson). Seems like a lot of staffs pulled their offers to him after that and that's how he ends up at VT, who wasn't even in the top 8 list he dropped a month or so ago.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s the news on the recruits this weekend?

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam'Ron Kelly pulls the stunner and commits to VT. Seemed like he was all Clemson but apparently he told all the staffs that were recruiting him that he wanted to play CB at the next level instead of safety where most teams were recruiting him (including Clemson). Seems like a lot of staffs pulled their offers to him after that and that's how he ends up at VT, who wasn't even in the top 8 list he dropped a month or so ago.

He was shutout by PSU and Clemson.