• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the Pens need to by physical with Tavares. However, there are two things to keep in mind.

1.The main reason the brawl game took place is because the Isles were ticked off at all the liberties teams were taking with Tavares. They simply had enough.

2.The Islanders didn't goon it up last night. Carkner & Boulton weren't in the lineup. Like I said earlier, Cappy said there could be lineup changes. I like Boulton where he is, in the pressbox. Carkner might be a liability on D due to his lack of skating ability, but he does add a lot of toughness to the roster. He won't take any crap from anybody & will be the first guy to defend his teamates. I expect him to play in game 2. We shall see.

I don't blame the Isles for being ticked off they should be.
Then I highly doubt anyone would think the Isles and/or Pens would want to goon it up and I didn't see it in the Isles. It was 100% frustration.

I see Carkner playing and probably will want to drop the gloves to get his team going but the Penguins will be fools to respond to a fight like that (ala Carcillo).

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame the Isles for being ticked off they should be.
Then I highly doubt anyone would think the Isles and/or Pens would want to goon it up and I didn't see it in the Isles. It was 100% frustration.

I see Carkner playing and probably will want to drop the gloves to get his team going but the Penguins will be fools to respond to a fight like that (ala Carcillo).

I don't think putting Carkner in the lineup would have anything to do with wanting him to drop the gloves. It's more about watching his teamates backs. If Carkner feels a Penguin player got away with something he won't let them off the hook.

If Boulton is in the lineup there will be a fight or two. It's his role.

The Penguins played exactly how they need too last night. Cooke goaded Strait into a stupid penalty & his teamates took it from their. I wouldn't change a thing if I was Bylsma.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing really dirty last night. Some darn good hitting from what I've watched. Neal injury was just weird, and Jokinen hit was really just a trip because Reasoner simply missed. That said, it won't stop the Pens from hitting JT day and night. Sure, they'll get hit back, but that's hockey. Good legal hits on him too. Though that Letang one would probably be whistled for interference in the regular season.
Strait's blindside hit / interference on Cooke was pretty shady. But Bennett turned that PP opportunity into the eventual game winner 3:30 into the game.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strait's blindside hit / interference on Cooke was pretty shady. But Bennett turned that PP opportunity into the eventual game winner 3:30 into the game.

The only dirty play last night was Reasoner trying to knee Jokinen. Fortunately he missed. If the Isles want to goon it up Boulton, Joe Finley & Carkner will be in the lineup for Game 2. I think having all three in the lineup would be a HUGE mistake. The Penguins would have a lot of fun skating circles around Finley & Carkner all night long. Boulton provides toughness, that'a about it.

A lot of the Islanders were playing their 1st ever playoff game. Now they know what the difference is between the regular season & the playoffs. We'll see if they put forth a better effort. I certainly expect them too because they really couldn't have played any worse.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only dirty play last night was Reasoner trying to knee Jokinen. Fortunately he missed. If the Isles want to goon it up Boulton, Joe Finley & Carkner will be in the lineup for Game 2. I think having all three in the lineup would be a HUGE mistake. The Penguins would have a lot of fun skating circles around Finley & Carkner all night long. Boulton provides toughness, that'a about it.

A lot of the Islanders were playing their 1st ever playoff game. Now they know what the difference is between the regular season & the playoffs. We'll see if they put forth a better effort. I certainly expect them too because they really couldn't have played any worse.

I mean, it could've been worse. But yeah, I don't think the Pens were physical enough to warrant putting defensive liabilities on the ice. That's really not going to help matters...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it could've been worse. But yeah, I don't think the Pens were physical enough to warrant putting defensive liabilities on the ice. That's really not going to help matters...

The start of the game spoke volumes to me in terms of the difference in experience. Cooke did his job & Strait retaliated. The Isles game only got worse from their. The Islanders would be stupid to goon it up against the Penguins. The last thing any team should do against Pittsburgh is put them on the powerplay all night long. That's just asking to be blown out. They better increase their compete level though. If not, nothing will change in Game 2.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So retaliating (like you said) against a guy by blindsiding him when you're just coming onto the ice isn't considered dirty?

Since when?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think there was anything dirty last night. Reasoner was maybe a bit reckless, trying to go for a big hit, but in the end, no harm no foul. Martin tried to stir things up at the end, but nothing over the line.

Just looked like regular playoff hockey IMO.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid's skating with his line at the morning skate this morning...here comes the speculation train! *choo choo!*

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid's skating with his line at the morning skate this morning...here comes the speculation train! *choo choo!*
Are you trying to derail the thread? I expected you to conduct yourself better than that.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to derail the thread? I expected you to conduct yourself better than that.

she's right on track though, the pens twitter says he's playing tonight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to engineer some sort of strategy to keep us on track.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sid is in (between Duper and Kuntiz). Neal and Orpik (still) out. Bennett on 2nd line it appears. Jokinen in. Getting close to a full line-up.

Side Note: If anyone needs lottery numbers or... just, any future predictions, I'm pretty good at that stuff, so you can just ask. (put one of those winkie smiley faces here)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Crosby is just going to screw everything up. They were doing great without him, he's going to mess with the chemistry.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I thought the Isles would win 1 game in this series. In order to do that they have to score at least 1 goal. When they put the puck behind Fleury maybe I'll begin to think it's possible. Right now I don't.

1 Star player vs a team of Star players isn't a good matchup.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Sid is homegrown talent, drafted by the Pens, that would make his inclusion in the lineup a case of organic chemistry, correct?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Crosby is just going to screw everything up. They were doing great without him, he's going to mess with the chemistry.

One thing is for sure, it is going to be super easy for Carkner to lure Cooke into a slug-a-thon/beatdownapalooza now.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure, it is going to be super easy for Carkner to lure Cooke into a slug-a-thon/beatdownapalooza now.

True dat!! Carkner is IN the lineup tonight, as is W David Ullstrom. I don't know why Brian Strait is though. I was hoping he'd be in the pressbox tonight.