• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

paxton lynch to the.....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets past the Jets at 20 I would be shocked if Denver didn't move into the middle 20's to get the kid.

Reportedly...ATL is getting calls about 17...mostly centered around Lynch and there is some interest to trade back, but at this point...just rumor. I would think the feeding frenzy right after SF...imo NO has to be blowing smoke

Although he's plenty young enough, but QBs that rise, fall and ultimately get benched don't get a 2nd chance too often. Something tells me that SF might still be in the picture...if not there...he should start sliding...I would be trying to get ahead of BUF as well.

In terms of his game...I've never seen Goff or Wentz play a game so I have no real opinion of my own...with Lynch I have seen him a few times...the negative scouting stuff has some validity, but I think he can play in this league as a starter...'16? maybe not, but it wouldn't shock me if he's the best of the 3 by the time the rookie contracts are up.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And traditionally Andy Reid. A few mocks have the Chiefs taking Lynch in rd1 and Id be kinda shocked if they didn't given that the Chiefs drafting weights positional value very highly in rd1.

I like that move for the Chiefs

At some point you have to realize Alex Smith has a ceiling, and that ceiling isnt a SB QB...And the Cheifs dont have many other glaring needs

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that move for the Chiefs

At some point you have to realize Alex Smith has a ceiling, and that ceiling isnt a SB QB...And the Cheifs dont have many other glaring needs
They have a pretty huge need at corner. Outside of Peters, it looks bleak. They really need a second receiver to complement Maclin, too. If I were running the Chiefs, those are the two spots I'd look at before drafting Lynch.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly...ATL is getting calls about 17...mostly centered around Lynch and there is some interest to trade back, but at this point...just rumor. I would think the feeding frenzy right after SF...imo NO has to be blowing smoke

Although he's plenty young enough, but QBs that rise, fall and ultimately get benched don't get a 2nd chance too often. Something tells me that SF might still be in the picture...if not there...he should start sliding...I would be trying to get ahead of BUF as well.

In terms of his game...I've never seen Goff or Wentz play a game so I have no real opinion of my own...with Lynch I have seen him a few times...the negative scouting stuff has some validity, but I think he can play in this league as a starter...'16? maybe not, but it wouldn't shock me if he's the best of the 3 by the time the rookie contracts are up.
Do you think Atlanta would trade back if it meant not getting a blue chip defensive player?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a pretty huge need at corner. Outside of Peters, it looks bleak. They really need a second receiver to complement Maclin, too. If I were running the Chiefs, those are the two spots I'd look at before drafting Lynch.
Chiefs need a #2 CB and #2 WR for sure. They generally don't needs draft with their first round pick, though. As far as I can tell, lately its:

Round 1. High positional value player (QB, LT, #1 CB, NT, Pass Rusher)
Round 2. Biggest need
Round 3. Someone flashy (which technically this year is just going to be Maclin)

Being at the end of the draft might be different because I don't think there will be a #1 CB available (and they already have Peters) so they might improvise or trade back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Atlanta would trade back if it meant not getting a blue chip defensive player?

I'm hearing ATL likes the names we've all been mocking to them, but LB is what they really want since Bosa is viewed as the only blue chip 4-3 DE worthy of 17...so, if Lee, Spence, Ragland, Lawson are all off the board...yeah I think they will move back for an extra 2nd or 3rd.

Edited to note...FWIW I think they will get a strong DEF player in the 20s or lower, but he won't be a LB...a Chris Jones late in the 1st is not a bad pick...17? he's probably a reach.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the jets GeT a first round pick for.Muhammed wilkerson? Looks doubtful at this point....

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to disagree with this because arguably the main reason Lynch is a lesser prospect is because he is less ready. A team like the Rams 100% needed a day 1 QB. Wentz will probably start in the first half of his first year and possibly day 1. Browns can flirt with the notion that RG3, a QB with higher upside than any QB in this draft, can theoretically be a QB. Meanwhile, they can teach Lynch the game and have him sit for a year or however long it takes RG3 to get injured.

That said, Ezekial Elliott at worst is Mark Ingram and at best could be a top 3 RB in the league moving forward. He is probably also going to be popular locally. I think the Browns pretty much have to pick Lynch or Elliott unless someone like Tunsil falls and they can do a big trade down again.

I think they will get one of these names if they fall: Elliott, Buckner, Bosa, Tunsil. The other guy I could see them taking is Stanley (I didn't bother including the QBs or Ramsey since they are almost certainly gone in the top 2 and Ramsey either 3 or 4).

I would be very upset if they got Lynch, exceptionally so actually. If they are going to draft and stash a QB I'd rather get Hackenberg or Connor Cook later on in the draft since those guys are closer to Lynch than Lynch is to the top 2. I will be disappointed if they get Mack too due to his knee issues.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the jets GeT a first round pick for.Muhammed wilkerson? Looks doubtful at this point....

I don't know if there are many players that could be moved for a 1st round pick. Sure it is a known commodity, but it is a much more expensive known commodity.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will get one of these names if they fall: Elliott, Buckner, Bosa, Tunsil. The other guy I could see them taking is Stanley (I didn't bother including the QBs or Ramsey since they are almost certainly gone in the top 2 and Ramsey either 3 or 4).

I would be very upset if they got Lynch, exceptionally so actually. If they are going to draft and stash a QB I'd rather get Hackenberg or Connor Cook later on in the draft since those guys are closer to Lynch than Lynch is to the top 2. I will be disappointed if they get Mack too due to his knee issues.

Nothing against the player, but I wouldn't want Elliott that high...maybe he's Gurley and then some, idk, but I just don't see the team being close enough to invest a top 10 pick in a RB. I'd go Bosa, Buckner, or OL and you know how I feel about Bosa.

Picks 3 thru 10 I'm very curious to see how they go.

No worries...The fact that CLE has said #8 is for sale kinda indicates they're not going QB at 8.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing against the player, but I wouldn't want Elliott that high...maybe he's Gurley and then some, idk, but I just don't see the team being close enough to invest a top 10 pick in a RB. I'd go Bosa, Buckner, or OL and you know how I feel about Bosa.

Picks 3 thru 10 I'm very curious to see how they go.

No worries...The fact that CLE has said #8 is for sale kinda indicates they're not going QB at 8.

There's been speculation that the Cowboys might try to get Elliott at #4. Draft predictions are all over the map this year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not against the Chiefs drafting Lynch, I wouldn't exactly be jumping out of my chair either thinking he's the next franchise QB either. It would certainly fill out a checkbox of QBotF however; and less jokes about how the Chiefs never draft QB in the 1st even if that's besides the point. More immediately, I'd like to add another CB. Gaines did a decent job in just coverage in 2014, but is coming off of an ACL from 2015. Nelson they apparently see more as a N-CB, I disagree, but hey, that's life; he didn't indict himself only playing ~5% of snaps given SS and Peters are ahead of him, but I want to see more from him in year two within the system.

I don't particularly believe I'd call starting those two going into next year bleak (Gaines certainly wasn't opposite Smith in 2014, and nor was that secondary for that matter and the YPA allowed shows that) or even meh per se opposite Peters, but that's just paper thin at CB. I absolutely do not want a repeat of the Divisional round where a safety was covering Edelman from the nickel CB position. No way, no how.

The Chiefs only have 3 reasonably talented corners:

Marcus Peters LCB: Duh
Gaines RCB/N-CB: Mixed 2014 (decent coverage pure, bleh tackling, run support, etc; shows potential)
Nelson N-CB/RCB backup: Didn't play much, had some good and bad in said playing time however
Cooper Depth: Hasn't grown at all from 2013- he's burnt toast as a CB.
Jimmy Wilson N-CB?: Primarily used as a safety in SD- would prefer to keep it that way
Ron Parker Deep Depth: If you're starting your FS at a CB position where has been proven to be incapable of handling top competition- you're screwed against top competition like the Pats.

There needs to be 1-2 CB's drafted tonight if you're the Chiefs, imo. Easiest way to achieve that is trade back to the early 2nd and allow the trading partner to grab Lynch. I'd go so far to argue it'd be better to trade down and grab Artie Burns and Hall instead of hoping Alexander, Jackson, or Apple are around. Maybe this is more of an overreaction to the Patriots loss, but I firmly believe you need to be very deep at the CB position to insulate yourself from injuries.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where will Paxton Lynch end up?
Phil Simms and Steve Beuerlein -- two of my colleagues over at CBS Sports Network and two former NFL quarterbacks whose opinions I truly respect -- both have told me over the last few weeks that they believe Lynch is the second-best quarterback in the draft behind Wentz. The Memphis product is a lock to go in Round 1, but how high?

He wouldn't get past the Jets at No. 20. In fact, I think he'd be in play for the Bills at No. 19. But I'll also be surprised if he makes it that far.

I think Lynch is in the mix for the QB-starved Browns at No. 8. (I still can't believe they traded out of the No. 2 pick with a chance to draft Wentz.) I also think Lynch makes sense for New Orleans if the Saints are looking to draft Sean Payton's quarterback of the future at No. 12. That could be the ideal situation for the 6-foot-7, 244-pound signal caller, who has the raw tools but could take some time to develop at the NFL level.

You need to read saints forums to be in the know.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs need a #2 CB and #2 WR for sure. They generally don't needs draft with their first round pick, though. As far as I can tell, lately its:

Round 1. High positional value player (QB, LT, #1 CB, NT, Pass Rusher)
Round 2. Biggest need
Round 3. Someone flashy (which technically this year is just going to be Maclin)

Being at the end of the draft might be different because I don't think there will be a #1 CB available (and they already have Peters) so they might improvise or trade back.

Why has your receiving game sucked so far when you have Kelce and Maclin?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been speculation that the Cowboys might try to get Elliott at #4. Draft predictions are all over the map this year.

DAL has a RB need...I wouldn't be shocked to see them take Lynch even, but most likely it'll be Bosa, or Ramsey.

One last ditch effort at a top 10 mock.

1. LA, Goff
2. PHI, Wentz
3. SD, Ramsey
4. DAL, Bosa
5. JAX, Lawson
6. BAL, Tunsil
7. SF, this where I go off the rails...Buckner or Lynch
8. CLE, Stanley
9. TB, Jack
10. NYG, Ashawn Robinson

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why has your receiving game sucked so far when you have Kelce and Maclin?
Not that many plays are being run to begin with, and it's actually a run heavy offense (no, it's a true story with Reid) so there's really not enough balls to go around if you're a receiving target. Alex Smith wasn't particularly bad moving the ball through the air on a per pass basis being 14th in YPA. Mediocre, yes, but paired with an elite INT% of 1.5 and that's a reasonably fair tradeoff for the low YPA, imo.

As an aside though, the pass protection for much of the year was just terrible.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that many plays are being run to begin with, and it's actually a run heavy offense (no, it's a true story with Reid) so there's really not enough balls to go around if you're a receiving target. Alex Smith wasn't particularly bad moving the ball through the air on a per pass basis being 14th in YPA. Mediocre, yes, but paired with an elite INT% of 1.5 and that's a reasonably fair tradeoff for the low YPA, imo.

As an aside though, the pass protection for much of the year was just terrible.

You're going to run less? I mean if a player does not get enough targets he's going to miss catches. The problem is not the receivers more than it is Smith. He's a game manager. It seems lately there has to be a elite receiver at every position on the field now for qbs like him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to run less? I mean if a player does not get enough targets he's going to miss catches. The problem is not the receivers more than it is Smith. He's a game manager. It seems lately there has to be a elite receiver at every position on the field now for qbs like him.
It seems lately that pass defense is more important than QBs so I'm not too worried. The Chiefs oline is much better moving forward than backwards and Alex Smith is smart enough to play the position and has enough mobility to improvise. He'll miss 2-3 throws every game that an elite guy makes but elite QBs dont grow on trees.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems lately that pass defense is more important than QBs so I'm not too worried. The Chiefs oline is much better moving forward than backwards and Alex Smith is smart enough to play the position and has enough mobility to improvise. He'll miss 2-3 throws every game that an elite guy makes but elite QBs dont grow on trees.
IMO the Chiefs are really close to being elite, and are more than capable of winning a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. They've got a very strong running game, they've got a smart qb who isn't likely to cost them any games, and their offensive line should be much improved.

That's why if I'm the Chiefs, I'm not looking to draft a qb because they already have a qb capable of winning a Super Bowl. Their secondary is paper thin, though, and depending on how long Houston is out their pass rush could struggle. This is a make or break year for Dee Ford, I think. And how much does Tamba Hali have left in the tank? If the Chiefs struggle to generate a pass rush while they wait for Houston to get healthy, their secondary could be exposed as it was against the Patriots. And that secondary had Sean Smith, who's with the Raiders now. If the Chiefs can get a really good corner from this draft, and they stay healthy, and Hali has something left and Ford takes a step forward, there's no reason the Chiefs can't compete for a Super Bowl. That's a lot of ifs, though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Chiefs are really close to being elite, and are more than capable of winning a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. They've got a very strong running game, they've got a smart qb who isn't likely to cost them any games, and their offensive line should be much improved.

That's why if I'm the Chiefs, I'm not looking to draft a qb because they already have a qb capable of winning a Super Bowl. Their secondary is paper thin, though, and depending on how long Houston is out their pass rush could struggle. This is a make or break year for Dee Ford, I think. And how much does Tamba Hali have left in the tank? If the Chiefs struggle to generate a pass rush while they wait for Houston to get healthy, their secondary could be exposed as it was against the Patriots. And that secondary had Sean Smith, who's with the Raiders now. If the Chiefs can get a really good corner from this draft, and they stay healthy, and Hali has something left and Ford takes a step forward, there's no reason the Chiefs can't compete for a Super Bowl. That's a lot of ifs, though.
I'm a firm believer in BPA but I certainly went after pass defense on SportsHoopla's Mock draft earlier this month with the following:

1.28.28 : Chris Jones - DE - Mississippi St
2.28.60 : Karl Joseph - SS - West Virginia
4.28.128 : James Bradberry - CB - Samford
5.25.166 : Devon Cajuste - WR/TE - Stanford
5.28.169 : Alex McCalister - OLB - Florida
6.28.207 : Harlan Miller - CB - Southeastern Louisiana
7.28.253 : Ted Karras - OG - Illinois

So yeah, no QB and I had the option to take Lynch and passed on him. But the Chiefs aren't BPA drafters I don't believe. Chiefs had a DE and S retire and a CB and G leave in FA. They also have a S on Franchise Tag. Too many holes to go after a QB.