• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats release more players

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an outsider standpoint I would say releasing Jenkins is a mistake. But the hoodie works in mysterious ways! And that move definitely speaks volumes for the younger guys...

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Buckeye got released too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julW9Eroqcw]Holy Buckeye - YouTube[/ame][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an outsider standpoint I would say releasing Jenkins is a mistake. But the hoodie works in mysterious ways! And that move definitely speaks volumes for the younger guys...

I never thought Jenkins made the roster. The roster at WR:

Aaron Dobson
Kenbrell Thompkins
Danny Amendola
Josh Boyce
Julian Edelman - special teams
Matthew Slater -special teams

The only surprise is Thompkins and Jenkins would have still had a few guys to beat out for the last spot to make the team at the start of anything.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only say that it might be a mistake because of the youth movement. While youth is always good, you need veterans out there mentoring these young guys. But a good coach and QB can bypass that.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aaron Dobson

Kenbrell Thompkins

Danny Amendola

Josh Boyce

The only surprise is Thompkins and Jenkins would have still had a few guys to beat out for the last spot to make the team at the start of anything.

thompkins is a huge surprise he came out of nowhere. i feel so much better about the wr core because of him, if we just had our draftpicks dobson and boyce id be a little nervous. looks like thompkins can replace lloyd no problem and be even better.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aaron Dobson
Kenbrell Thompkins
Danny Amendola
Josh Boyce

I disagree about Edelman. He will make the team as a receiver IMHO. I know a lot of guys are not hot on Edelman but I for one, think he will have a break-out year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about Edelman. He will make the team as a receiver IMHO. I know a lot of guys are not hot on Edelman but I for one, think he will have a break-out year.

I think Edelman will get a lot of reps in the slot. As far as that goes he will get reps all over, much like he did last year.

I see a year, or a few, that the Pats are loaded up at quality receiver, all trying to get reps.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Edelman will get a lot of reps in the slot. As far as that goes he will get reps all over, much like he did last year.

I see a year, or a few, that the Pats are loaded up at quality receiver, all trying to get reps.

And that, I think is the plan. Getting away from an offense that can be hurt by leaning on 1 or 2 receivers. With Brady throwing all over the field, to this bunch, I am much happier about our receiving corps than recent past.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is the fourth guy as of now IMO. Special teams is a big part of the reason he stays around though. Without that added I don't know that he sticks.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the fourth guy as of now IMO. Special teams is a big part of the reason he stays around though. Without that added I don't know that he sticks.

A big part of why he's #4 on the depth chart right now is that he was hurt. He had only practiced a week this year before the Eagles game.

If he returns to anything like the form that had him pushing Wes Welker for playing time and functioning as the Patriots' most explosive offensive player last year, he will see the field as a WR, not just a punt returner.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he does more than fight Amendola for the third slot, assuming the rookies perform decently.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't undersell either him or Amendola. They're both very, very good WRs. Dobson has more upside than either of them. I'm not sure either Boyce or Thompkins do - and that's nothing against those guys. And all 3 of them are still rookies.

It's great to be excited about our rookies, but they ARE still rookies and they have a long way to go still.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the rookies have a long way to go, but Amendola is as unproven here as they are and Edelman is solid but unspectacular.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of those that just doesn't see it in Edelman, he will make the squad but is second to Amendola and is not an edge guy. Don't see his with a lot of looks, STs is where he makes it IMO

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of those that just doesn't see it in Edelman, he will make the squad but is second to Amendola and is not an edge guy. Don't see his with a lot of looks, STs is where he makes it IMO

Point made, MoJo. I'm stretching more than you are but I think Edelman will get a lot of targets and will earn it. We will see soon enough.....

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a three game stretch last year where he caught long bombs one a game. That's what it comes down to with him. He's much faster than the perception of him as "Welker Jr." would have you believe - much faster than Welker is - and just about as elusive in open space. He doesn't run the same kind of precise routes, and isn't as reliable and certainly not as durable as Welker, but he's more explosive, overall.

Which makes him pretty much identical to Amendola. Neither of them is really all that similar to Welker; they both thrive on the intermediate range throws, not the super short stuff. We'll have to see how the depth chart shakes out, though I suspect you're right that Amendola is the better player.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a three game stretch last year where he caught long bombs one a game. That's what it comes down to with him. He's much faster than the perception of him as "Welker Jr." would have you believe - much faster than Welker is - and just about as elusive in open space. He doesn't run the same kind of precise routes, and isn't as reliable and certainly not as durable as Welker, but he's more explosive, overall.

Which makes him pretty much identical to Amendola. Neither of them is really all that similar to Welker; they both thrive on the intermediate range throws, not the super short stuff. We'll have to see how the depth chart shakes out, though I suspect you're right that Amendola is the better player.

for some reason the stallworth play last year came to mind as i was reading your post draw... one play.. one catch one td.. one injury.. one injured reserve.. but what a play that was..

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for some reason the stallworth play last year came to mind as i was reading your post draw... one play.. one catch one td.. one injury.. one injured reserve.. but what a play that was..

It was the very next game. Edelman had great long catches 3 games in a row then got hurt. Stallworth stepped in, did the same thing and got hurt again.

People forget we actually had a really good deep passing game last year til the guys who made that happen (Edelman and Gronkowski, then Stallworth) got injured.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the rookies have a long way to go, but Amendola is as unproven here as they are and Edelman is solid but unspectacular.

Just a couple of quick (but unspectacular) stat comparisons between Edelman and Welker...

Average receptions per TD
Welker: 19.66
Edelman: 7

Once every 7 receptions, Julien took it to the house, Wes needed almost 20.

Yards after the catch
Welker: 5.9
Edelman: 6.5

Yards per catch
Welker: 11.5
Edelman: 11.2

Wes got another foot before the catch on average, But Julien took it two feet further after the catch.

I haven't compared either of the to anybody else.

Edelman had some great plays last year, I'm glad he's back on the team as another viable option and legitimate weapon in the receiving corps...

When he's healthy...