• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats pre game

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are we so hot to trade a guy ? we did that with KC and we still havent replaced him and he is what ? avg ?

Since you guys seem to be counting on numbers alone, this team has absolutely replaced him twice! Once with a guy with comparable numbers and another time with a guy with better numbers. Now you may or may not agree on their comparative pedigree, but considering Kirk's that's the point!

1698979331982.png

1698979365249.png

It’s important to note that while statistics can provide some insight, they don’t capture everything about a player’s performance or their impact on a team. Factors such as leadership, decision-making under pressure, and the ability to inspire teammates are also crucial but harder to measure.

Last edited:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are several creative reasons why they would do this considering what we already know about their willingness to jettison players with an eye toward the future, especially those with pending financial concerns (I am currently working on a new thread that gives some insight into what we can reasonably expect from the new Commanders (pun intended) of this franchise.)

1. The future is the key thing and I am convinced that they intend to completely rebuild the franchise.

2. To that end, Howell's emergence could not have come at a worse time for him because in a typical NFL rebuild it will take at least two years to see meaningful returns.

3. Howell's contract has two years remaining and that typically means that he'll be looking for that big contract during or at the end of the 2024 season. ( I know that they can hold out until the 2025 season but of late Lamar Jackson has been the only QB signed in his final year.)

4. Allowing Howell to play out the 2024 season AND drafting his ultimate replacement gives them an additional two to three years of rebuilding cap flexibility before having to pay their QB that big contract.

Here's a look at some of the cap percentages by current NFL QBs.

The "optimal" window may peak at 12.3%, as Thompson notes, but some QBs count for more than that percentage. Consider the top QB cap hits of 2022: Ryan Tannehill (Titans): 18.3% Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs): 17.2% Kirk Cousins (Vikings): 15.% Jared Goff (Lions): 15% Aaron Rodgers (Packers): 13.7%

Here's a look at what the rookie percentages are:

The percentage of the NFL salary cap taken by rookie quarterbacks can vary depending on the team and the player’s contract. However, the first-year cap number or rookie pool number consists of the player’s prorated amount of signing bonus and the rookie minimum base salary, which was $705,000 in 20221. The maximum annual increase in each of the four years of a deal is 25% of the first-year cap number.

For example, Will Levis, a rookie quarterback for the Tennessee Titans, has a 2023 cap figure that represents about 1% of the team’s total cap

Well, they’ll either gut the team and start over, or add parts and try to get better.

Either way, you still need a competent qb to compete in the league. IMO, “bad timing” is not a legitimate reason to trade a nfl starting caliber qb.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they’ll either gut the team and start over, or add parts and try to get better.

Either way, you still need a competent qb to compete in the league. IMO, “bad timing” is not a legitimate reason to trade a nfl starting caliber qb.
It's ONLY bad timing for him.!

The resources that they will have to shell out in the next year or two to keep him make it likely that they will draft a QB and trade him for more assets toward that rebuild. How about upgrading to the position?

Last edited:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. I think drafting a qb is a prudent move. Insurance policy, and all that.

I dont agree with trading Howell before he gets to the last year of his rooke contract just because he might want a lot of money, especially without a back up plan that is at least as good as whatever Howell shows between now and then.

I think you might be right that the new ownership is going to make all kinds of changes in a “trust the process,” kind of maneuver.

I’d applaud that, actually.

Hiring an analytics guy is a good move, as is refusing to pay CY based on potential. The Sweat trade to Chicago was a fantastic move. It remains to be seen what new ownership does.

There is local precedent for “trusting the process:” Caps were terrible and are now ending a 10 year run of stanley cup caliber teams, and the Orioles lost 100 games only two short years ago, and won 102 this year.

Just need competence at the top.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy who hasn't shown once he has a clue about a former QB here and says he doesn't inspire players and he can show lots of other players that have done the same thing, BTW 20th all time in TDs and 24th in yards.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. I think drafting a qb is a prudent move. Insurance policy, and all that.

I dont agree with trading Howell before he gets to the last year of his rooke contract just because he might want a lot of money, especially without a back up plan that is at least as good as whatever Howell shows between now and then.

I think you might be right that the new ownership is going to make all kinds of changes in a “trust the process,” kind of maneuver.

I’d applaud that, actually.

Hiring an analytics guy is a good move, as is refusing to pay CY based on potential. The Sweat trade to Chicago was a fantastic move. It remains to be seen what new ownership does.

There is local precedent for “trusting the process:” Caps were terrible and are now ending a 10 year run of stanley cup caliber teams, and the Orioles lost 100 games only two short years ago, and won 102 this year.

Just need competence at the top.
Sometimes I wish that we were able to give more than one emoji! This response deserves more than the "Bullseye" given. Well done sir!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you guys seem to be counting on numbers alone, this team has absolutely replaced him twice! Once with a guy with comparable numbers and another time with a guy with better numbers. Now you may or may not agree on their comparative pedigree, but considering Kirk's that's the point!

View attachment 345066

View attachment 345067

It’s important to note that while statistics can provide some insight, they don’t capture everything about a player’s performance or their impact on a team. Factors such as leadership, decision-making under pressure, and the ability to inspire teammates are also crucial but harder to measure.
Both guys had basically a cup of coffee and werent an upgrade in either case

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sam Howell is not going to be traded. In fact, I expect he will be extended this off season. He is the piece the new organization builds around. Rebuilding doesn’t mean trashing everyone. But it does mean that you jettison those pieces that are not living up to their value. Howell is on a rookie 5th round contract and playing like a rookie first round pick. That is value. You don’t trade that.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember saying when Cousin Kirk was here. We needed to find a way to keep him, and that would allow the Redskins to build everything else around him. They wouldn’t have had to waste the assets trying to find his replacement. Instead those assets could’ve been used for the other pieces

Gosknz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why we would be in such a hurry to bail on Howell. He is doing pretty darn good behind a bad O line and with a defensive minded dinosaur for a head coach. Whose to say all these college QBs that everyone keeps hyping are going to pan out.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why we would be in such a hurry to bail on Howell. He is doing pretty darn good behind a bad O line and with a defensive minded dinosaur for a head coach. Whose to say all these college QBs that everyone keeps hyping are going to pan out.
We are not. There is only really one person here pushing this agenda.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold that Williams is anything . Seems to me he is kyler Murray with all the team ownership stuff

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold that Williams is anything . Seems to me he is kyler Murray with all the team ownership stuff
He apparently also claimed he will only go to 5 teams.

It could be false.

However, he hasn't denied it to my knowledge.

Seems like he is like the father of the ball brothers in the nba.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He apparently also claimed he will only go to 5 teams.

It could be false.

However, he hasn't denied it to my knowledge.

Seems like he is like the father of the ball brothers in the nba.
If true, run as far away as you can.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaVar Ball is a circus act.

Apparently williams thinks he can dictate who drafts him. I know this has happened in the past with Eli manning and John Elway.

I am not sure that a player has said he will only accept being drafted by 5 of 32 teams and that he must be a minority owner of that team.

I find no evidence of the williams camp refuting these reports. They could be false of course.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this boy doesn’t have football player attitude at all. It’s more like CH and his brand attitude

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaVar Ball is a circus act.

Apparently williams thinks he can dictate who drafts him. I know this has happened in the past with Eli manning and John Elway.

I am not sure that a player has said he will only accept being drafted by 5 of 32 teams and that he must be a minority owner of that team.

I find no evidence of the williams camp refuting these reports. They could be false of course.

Is this the same guy stating that he wanta a piece of ownership in the team that drafts him?

Good luck with that!