• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats pre game

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess time will tell but his first 9 starts are equal to Mahomes with less talent to work with . In fact if Howell were a 1st round pick this yr the narrative around him would be way different,

Now this I can say , he is a viable BU at the least and top 10-15 starting qb ceiling at best we more eval needed
I know that Howell has earned starter-level consideration wherever he plays in the league. To me, he is an NFL starter, unless something drastically happens that relegates him to being a BU. That said, I don't believe that his future is in Washington and the reset here will be centered around a whole new cast of characters. I am pretty sure that they will draft or make moves to draft a QB in the upcoming draft. Howell, likely will start and play during the 2024 season and then get traded in the same manner surrounding Alex Smith. Hopefully, the Commanders or whatever they'll be named by then are wise enough to find their "Washington" when they trade Howell.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In another thread you asked me what Brissett brings to the team that Howell doesn't, and now you have your answer... veteran experience!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florio at it again

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and disagree.
He's also proven to be a tradeable asset.

Sty, i'm guessing you don't consider it unfortunate Howell could possibly become a bench warmer before we really got a good look at him?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty, i'm guessing you don't consider it unfortunate Howell could possibly become a bench warmer before we really got a good look at him?
Nope, I actually think that he's an NFL-caliber starter considering what others have starting on the 15 through 32 teams right now. I have actually seen enough of Howell. He has skills and is a tough SOB, and there's really very little that he can show me going forward that I haven't already seen. If we're honest, Howell is yet another hopeful experiment by Rivera, and losing his job at any point from now on ONLY means that Rivera is desperate to get wins via the veteran experience of Brissett that Howell is attempting to gain during this OJT phase of his NFL life.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why the commanders would trade the first actual nfl starting calber qb they’ve had aside from that magical rookie season of rg3 since brad johnson, but I’m sure you have your reasons, Sty.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why the commanders would trade the first actual nfl starting calber qb they’ve had aside from that magical rookie season of rg3 since brad johnson, but I’m sure you have your reasons, Sty.

So KC wasn’t a real starting QB?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are several creative reasons why they would do this considering what we already know about their willingness to jettison players with an eye toward the future, especially those with pending financial concerns (I am currently working on a new thread that gives some insight into what we can reasonably expect from the new Commanders (pun intended) of this franchise.)

1. The future is the key thing and I am convinced that they intend to completely rebuild the franchise.

2. To that end, Howell's emergence could not have come at a worse time for him because in a typical NFL rebuild it will take at least two years to see meaningful returns.

3. Howell's contract has two years remaining and that typically means that he'll be looking for that big contract during or at the end of the 2024 season. ( I know that they can hold out until the 2025 season but of late Lamar Jackson has been the only QB signed in his final year.)

4. Allowing Howell to play out the 2024 season AND drafting his ultimate replacement gives them an additional two to three years of rebuilding cap flexibility before having to pay their QB that big contract.

Here's a look at some of the cap percentages by current NFL QBs.

The "optimal" window may peak at 12.3%, as Thompson notes, but some QBs count for more than that percentage. Consider the top QB cap hits of 2022: Ryan Tannehill (Titans): 18.3% Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs): 17.2% Kirk Cousins (Vikings): 15.% Jared Goff (Lions): 15% Aaron Rodgers (Packers): 13.7%

Here's a look at what the rookie percentages are:

The percentage of the NFL salary cap taken by rookie quarterbacks can vary depending on the team and the player’s contract. However, the first-year cap number or rookie pool number consists of the player’s prorated amount of signing bonus and the rookie minimum base salary, which was $705,000 in 20221. The maximum annual increase in each of the four years of a deal is 25% of the first-year cap number.

For example, Will Levis, a rookie quarterback for the Tennessee Titans, has a 2023 cap figure that represents about 1% of the team’s total cap

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So KC wasn’t a real starting QB?
Yes KC is and remains a "real starting QB!" That said the goal of the game is in winning the last game played every year! To that end, Washington and Minnesota didn't accomplish much or wouldn't have with or without him.

I can literally show you guys players who you don't think much of with comparable numbers as KC and who have played here since he left. I can also literally give you historical and contemporary comparisons to his numbers which you would conclude that he is either in line with or not in the same league as them. Just ask, in the meantime, Here's what KC backers seem to miss when talking about him as if he's something special...

It’s important to note that while statistics can provide some insight, they don’t capture everything about a player’s performance or their impact on a team. Factors such as leadership, decision-making under pressure, and the ability to inspire teammates are also crucial but harder to measure.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and disagree.
He's also proven to be a tradeable asset.
why are we so hot to trade a guy ? we did that with KC and we still havent replaced him and he is what ? avg ?