• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patent office rules against Redskins Trademark

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the second time the folks that hate that name have received a ruling like this. It was successfully appealed before and should be again. If they want to change the team name then they should buy the team and change the name.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these politicians and such are too focused on things that mean very little and not focusing on the bigger issues this country has.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea and 90% of the Native Americans that were polled stated this was a non-issue.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody stop the madness!

I'm REALLY, REALLY fucking irritated....They have carried that team name for over 80 years...Now we have finally bowed to the political correct police...Doesn't really impact me (until a Ram cries out that he is offended to have his likeness used for the St. Louis football team)....I just really get pissed off when a MINORITY makes enough noise to get a ridiculous reversal like this to happen...Ludicrous, in my humble opinion...I have thought since day 1 that Snyder is a douche-bag...Having said that, I hope he stands his ground and doesn't let the powers that want to take away all the benefits of trademarks succeed...Tell the pricks and ball-less scum to suck shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm half tempted to say GO REDSKINS !!! (Ok, maybe not quite half)...

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example of everybody wanting to be politically correct. If this isn't based on a self-serving agenda I don't know what is. Can the term "Redskins" be used derogatorily? Certainly. But in the context of a football team I always thought of Redskins as fierce warriors that connoted that you had a battle on your hands. These people need to get a life. If they are successful in getting the Redskins to change their name, what's next....the Blackhawks, the Braves, the Indians, etc. It's crap like this that makes me all the more determined to never attempt to be politically correct or acquiesce to the people who are.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the US Patent Office directly tied to politicians? I know the Treasury department isn't. Not that that changes anything either way, just a curious thought? The way I see it it's their job to handle patents, not what they think is right.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be overturned in appeal.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Boss. Now they are going after all use of nicknames that connote a reference to Native Americans: Chiefs, Braves, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc. They are starting at the pro and college levels. I suppose it'll filter down to the high school and lower levels eventually. This is unbelieveable BS.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that the names Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks etc... will ever be a main topic up to removing them. The Redskins is another matter though. I don't see anything wrong with it but I am not Native American either. According to a few sources though, there are really only two things that insite anger for Native Americans in general and there are injun and Tonto.:doh: I kinda understand those and think that in my lifetime Redskins will stay in Washington.:noidea: We will see.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the US Patent Office directly tied to politicians? I know the Treasury department isn't. Not that that changes anything either way, just a curious thought? The way I see it it's their job to handle patents, not what they think is right.

Very much so. They are supposed to be a separate entity much like the US Treasury and supreme court.
But here's the proof in the pudding as they say.

Obama comes out and talks about it..............right?!
Snider fires back and basically says, go pound sand.
2 weeks later Patent office rules against the Redskins.....

I hear the browns have to change their name next. A couple of people from Mexico think it's racist. lol. tisk tisk.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much so. They are supposed to be a separate entity much like the US Treasury and supreme court.

I hear the browns have to change their name next. A couple of people from Mexico think it's racist. lol. tisk tisk.

This has been in process longer than Obama has been in office.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example of everybody wanting to be politically correct. If this isn't based on a self-serving agenda I don't know what is. Can the term "Redskins" be used derogatorily? Certainly. But in the context of a football team I always thought of Redskins as fierce warriors that connoted that you had a battle on your hands. These people need to get a life. If they are successful in getting the Redskins to change their name, what's next....the Blackhawks, the Braves, the Indians, etc. It's crap like this that makes me all the more determined to never attempt to be politically correct or acquiesce to the people who are.

Why not change the nickname to Warriors, go back to the retro arrowhead logo, and reap the huge windfall from merchandise sales?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these politicians and such are too focused on things that mean very little and not focusing on the bigger issues this country has.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

The bigger issues can't get past the "just say no" party.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure what exactly took place behind the scenes. :noidea: but There's some interesting correlations involved.

This from a recent article in the WP from a journalist I'm not a fan of, but I do agree with some points made in the article:

The split decision, 2-1, by the U.S. Patent and Trademark panel to cancel the Washington football club’s trademark registration is hollow for three reasons. First, team management again failed the decency and intelligence test in response to it. Second, the practical effect isn’t that they have to stop using the name, only that they might have trouble successfully barring others who use it. Third, and most important, government coercion is a lot more harmful than a lousy word.

But the USPTO decision came in a political climate that is queasy-making. It came after months of various Feds leaning on the team in ways that make it hard to feel a sense of victory. Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) has threatened to examine the NFL’s tax-exempt status. The Federal Communications Commission has threatened to bring a criminal charge against the club for “indecency.”

The team and NFL should change the Redskins name, not the federal government - The Washington Post

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't solve the economic issues or the health care issues or the education issues or the illegal immigration issues or the crime issues of this country but we sure can solve the trivial politically correct asinine self serving issues that the politicians get up on their soapboxes to make themselves look good on. Bunch of #@%#@!#*($%/ idiots.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can know longer have conversations in your own home without fear of being recorded. Why does this surprise anyone. Everything is fair game including much beloved symbols and all of your personal freedoms.