• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Bowlen

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most broncos fans saw this coming but it is offical, Pat Bowlen has stepped down. Adam Schefter said it best, "one of the best owners in all of sports."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is definitely a sad day in sports. Most Bronco fans have known Bowlen hasn't really been involved a whole lot because of his health the last few years, but even that is a sign of how great of an owner he is in knowing when he can no longer do his job and pass on his duties to others. The guy has worked tirelessly to give us a winning program and that is what we have been! I'm hoping this winning tradition can continue whether it is his family that takes over eventually or another individual or group. Bowlen has set a high standard for what is expected of the Denver Broncos so I hope whoever is next can remember that and live up to that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this little piece of information and it really does capture just how much Bowlen has meant to this organization...

Bowlen has been one of the most iconic figures in Colorado sports history.

Since Bowlen purchased the team and saved it from bankruptcy in 1984, the Broncos have gone to the Super Bowl in six of 16 playoff appearances, highlighted by back-to-back Lombardi trophies in 1997 and 1998.

Bowlen's importance to the NFL, and Denver in particular, cannot be overstated. He brought stability to a franchise on the brink of disaster. Since taking ownership, the Broncos have posted 90 or more wins in three consecutive decades while managing the fewest losing seasons (five) in the league over that stretch.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is definitely a sad day in sports. Most Bronco fans have known Bowlen hasn't really been involved a whole lot because of his health the last few years, but even that is a sign of how great of an owner he is in knowing when he can no longer do his job and pass on his duties to others. The guy has worked tirelessly to give us a winning program and that is what we have been! I'm hoping this winning tradition can continue whether it is his family that takes over eventually or another individual or group. Bowlen has set a high standard for what is expected of the Denver Broncos so I hope whoever is next can remember that and live up to that.

It did say he ( Pat ) bought the team in 1984 along with "siblings". I can`t recall ever hearing any of their names mentioned before or how many or brothers/sisters. Hopefully at least one of them has the knowledge, leadership and persona close to what Mr. Bowlen provided for the Broncos and they have a good working relationship with Elway.Very possible they turn over those responsibilities to Elway anyway.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowlen is the man. In an era that's all about money (look no further that another Colorado team) he puts wins and treating people well above all. I couldn't have been more proud or happy to say that I have been a season ticket holder for the Broncos for a long time. I always look forward to Bronco season and Mr B you were a big reason why. God bless you and I wish you nothing but the best....

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a bit from the CBS story about how the Broncos will be handled going into the future:

According to the team's statement, The Pat Bowlen Trust was established in
order to properly assist in a succession plan.

It's "overseen by non-family trustees" and focuses on the goal of keeping
"the Broncos in the Bowlen family."

"Mr. Bowlen's long-term hope is for one of his children to run the Broncos at
the appropriate time, and his succession plan will continue to be implemented by
our organization in compliance with NFL ownership policies," the team said in a
statement.

"Going forward, Pat Bowlen's indelible contributions to the Broncos, the NFL
and this community will continue to define his three decades of ownership and
serve as the standard he has set for his franchise."

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen resigns control of team, fighting Alzheimer's - CBSSports.com

Although it appears LaCanfora has his own speculation that would probably also be good for the Broncos going forward (if it actually panned out):

Many around the league believe executive John Elway, long like a son to Bowlen,
could eventually be a part of a group that might take over the team, and while
current Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has been most
closely linked to eventually joining Jimmy Haslam's ownership group in
Cleveland, perhaps it's not out of the question two Hall of Fame quarterbacks
unite as part of a conglomerate to take over the Broncos in time as well.

I'm guessing the more likely scenario is for the Bowlen family to keep ownership. Still, wouldn't it be something to have both Elway and Manning co-owning the team?

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best wishes to Mr. Bowlen and his family from this lifelong Steelers fan.

My mother-in-law died from complications from dementia after a long, slow decline. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is incredibly sad. Nothing worse than watching a family member go through this. Peace to Broncos fans and to the Bowlen family.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of us knew this day was coming, and while it was not unexpected, it does not soften the blow.

I am pretty sad today, as a fan and as a person who has seen a family member affected by this terrible disease.

But in looking back at the great history that the Broncos have had under Mr. Bowlen's leadership, I can say I am very happy to be a fan of one of the greatest franchises in all of professional sports.

The Broncos not only boast a proud tradition of winning and success since he has been the owner, but are also known to be one of the best organizations to work/play for in all sports.

Denver (and all Broncos fans everywhere) appreciate you very much, Pat Bowlen.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a bit from the CBS story about how the Broncos will be handled going into the future:

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen resigns control of team, fighting Alzheimer's - CBSSports.com

Although it appears LaCanfora has his own speculation that would probably also be good for the Broncos going forward (if it actually panned out):

I'm guessing the more likely scenario is for the Bowlen family to keep ownership. Still, wouldn't it be something to have both Elway and Manning co-owning the team?

Just heard team president Joe Ellis will assume responsibilities at this time. Nevermind Walker. Just read your link. Already mentioned:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is indeed a sad day for the entire Broncos Family, especially for Mr. Bowlen and his direct family members. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that is a nightmare to go through for the family of someone who has it. I can't imagine what it is like to be the person who actually has it.

Mr. Bowlen has given so much to us as fans, and for that we will all be forever in his debt. I wish him and his family the best going forward.

Thank you Mr. Bowlen for all that you have done for the Broncos through the years. You have enriched this fan's life more than I can say.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody watch the interview of Stink on ESPN today? He was telling stories of just how truly great it was to work for an owner like Bowlen. Told a story where he got Bowlen to do a prank with him on one of the coaching staff that was pretty darn funny. If you get a chance it was a great interview. Truly this is probably the saddest day in Bronco history since Elway decided to retire.

There is so much we do not realize of how much he influenced this team's greatness over the years. He is one of those guys that I can know worked tirelessly to give us the best team possible every year and I have nothing but great things to say about him as a person and as an owner.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I tried to prepare myself for this day to come, it still hit pretty hard when I heard the news. I am 40 years old and became a Bronco fan right around the time Mr. B took control........Rough day. My heart goes out to the entire Bowlen family.....this is a nasty thing they are going through. Not easy to see someone you love going through this.

How freaking cool would it be to see John Elway receive the Lombardi Trophy from Roger Goodell in Arizona next year and get to say "This one's for Pat!"???? I get goosebumps just thinking about it......

Thank you for everything Mr. Bowlen. You are a true class act.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone on this thread and many more have said it well. One of the greatest owners in all of sports. Mr. B. created a culture here in Denver that has us always expecting to win. There were times that I took it for granted but everyone always knew that Mr. Bowlen was keeping that train on the tracks. I agree with Cali that the Broncos need to win a championship this coming season for Pat Bowlen!

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great owner and a class act. Nothing but props for one of the best. Feel bad for anyone that has to deal with that disease.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the best for Pat and his family. The fight ahead won't ever get any easier for any of them, and that's sad. We all knew this day was coming, but as Morph said, it doesn't make it any easier to handle when it actually happens. Best wishes, Pat. Thanks for giving us a franchise we can all be proud of!

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Elway said....

"Things around here will never be the same".

Thank you Pat! For everything.