• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panda contract?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up for debate I suppose, you not going to throw up Miggy Cabrera or give Adrian Beltre a mention?

I'd bet they probably have better years than IMAX.

You could argue Pablo has better range on defense, but that's not saying much. 4/60 is a little rich for me.

I'd go up to 3/35 maybe, but that's pushing it. I want to see him put together b2b years where he actually stays in shape and doesn't land on the DL to fix his weight.

Cabrera will never play 3B again.

Again, you keep displaying your ignorance about contracts. You haven't been paying attention to the escalation in dollars happening. Dodgers' fault, among other things. All of the caveats with Panda are true, but everyone knows that...and they'll still pay him something like 4/60

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera will never play 3B again.

Again, you keep displaying your ignorance about contracts. You haven't been paying attention to the escalation in dollars happening. Dodgers' fault, among other things. All of the caveats with Panda are true, but everyone knows that...and they'll still pay him something like 4/60

Pablo is hitting .169 this year, he makes Pence .213 seem like "great".

Just because there's a silly GM out there willing to overpay , doesn't mean we should.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope we can bring Sandoval back (not for 5/90) but I'm fine with 4/60. Not sure he is fourth best 3B in the game

I'd still take (aside from three you mentioned) Matt Carpenter, Arenado, Beltre, Machado (unless you consider him a SS, then take him off) over him

But he definitely can push his way back up and considering the bad 3B FA market, have to do whatever it takes (within reason) to get him

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope we can bring Sandoval back (not for 5/90) but I'm fine with 4/60. Not sure he is fourth best 3B in the game

I'd still take (aside from three you mentioned) Matt Carpenter, Arenado, Beltre, Machado (unless you consider him a SS, then take him off) over him

But he definitely can push his way back up and considering the bad 3B FA market, have to do whatever it takes (within reason) to get him

Carpenter and Arenado... Maybe.

Machado... Absolutely! He is a young beast who could become one of the real stars of the game.

Beltre... Not so sure. He is older and can turn off at any moment. Right now, he is one of the best, though.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carpenter and Arenado... Maybe.

Machado... Absolutely! He is a young beast who could become one of the real stars of the game.

Beltre... Not so sure. He is older and can turn off at any moment. Right now, he is one of the best, though.

Yeah I do kinda get the Beltre thing, especially if it then comes to terms of who would you rather give a four or five-year deal to

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after sifting through innumerable threads with no responses, I finally found this one again.

I'm speculating, but I have to believe a big element in Sandoval's woes this year is his lack of a contract, and the distance between his team and the FO on where we are. Not rocket surgery.

IIRC, the FO offered 3/40, and Sandoval wants 5/90, or even 5/100.

With him mired in this slump, I wonder if he would take 5/75? Now may be a good time to get this done at a more reasonable price.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after sifting through innumerable threads with no responses, I finally found this one again.

I'm speculating, but I have to believe a big element in Sandoval's woes this year is his lack of a contract, and the distance between his team and the FO on where we are. Not rocket surgery.

IIRC, the FO offered 3/40, and Sandoval wants 5/90, or even 5/100.

With him mired in this slump, I wonder if he would take 5/75? Now may be a good time to get this done at a more reasonable price.

So he had a crappy start to the season and the Giants should offer him 2 years and $35 million more? I really don't think the Giants should give him more than 3 years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he had a crappy start to the season and the Giants should offer him 2 years and $35 million more? I really don't think the Giants should give him more than 3 years.

This.

He is fun, but he does not seem professional enough to invest a major contract in.

He eats himself out of entire years...

He can't handle the pressure of a contract year...

Not the type of personality you turn into a cornerstone of a franchise.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

He is fun, but he does not seem professional enough to invest a major contract in.

He eats himself out of entire years...

He can't handle the pressure of a contract year...

Not the type of personality you turn into a cornerstone of a franchise.

Agreed. The years are more important than the money per. I'd maybe offer 3/45 or even 3/50 over 5/65.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The years are more important than the money per. I'd maybe offer 3/45 or even 3/50 over 5/65.

The problem is that he's almost guaranteed to get a five year deal from an AL team. He won't sign for 3/45 IMO.

If he remains unextended, I say we deal him at the deadline for value.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that he's almost guaranteed to get a five year deal from an AL team. He won't sign for 3/45 IMO.

Here go with the spiral discussion again...

He will only be dealt if we are out of it because the only internal options we have are Arias and Duvall. While Duvall is destroying the ball in Fresno this year, IT IS FRESNO.

Even if Panda continues to hit at the Mendoza all year, he will/should get a QO from the Giants. a 1/15 will be a good contract to have him on.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then let some other team make that mistake. The Giants will give him the QO and take a 1st round pick instead.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here go with the spiral discussion again...

He will only be dealt if we are out of it because the only internal options we have are Arias and Duvall. While Duvall is destroying the ball in Fresno this year, IT IS FRESNO.

Even if Panda continues to hit at the Mendoza all year, he will/should get a QO from the Giants. a 1/15 will be a good contract to have him on.

I don't know much about him, but there is also Mitchell Delfino with an .888 OPS at San Jose. Likely ready for a look late 2015 at the earliest, I imagine.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then let some other team make that mistake. The Giants will give him the QO and take a 1st round pick instead.

OR Sandoval declines the QO, no teams sign him because they don't want to give up a first-round pick.

So Sandoval sits (like Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales) as a FA until after the June draft passes. Then teams will line up for him, then we get nothing

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OR Sandoval declines the QO, no teams sign him because they don't want to give up a first-round pick.

So Sandoval sits (like Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales) as a FA until after the June draft passes. Then teams will line up for him, then we get nothing

... and we don't waste a boatload of money on his fat ass.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And what are the odds that Panda remains in shape during this time frame and a team is willing to sign him to the contract he wants?

This option will not happen

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is suggesting he be a cornerstone/franchise player nor do we give him that kind of contract. But a 3 year deal is worth offering, and if we can see his inconsistency and so on you know AL GMs can too. If he keeps up this shitty performance he won't get 5 years from anyone. Or if he does it would be something like 5/50 and I think he'd prefer 3/42-45

But what the heck do I know, if he weren't such a knucklehead he'd take the Giants' offer in a 3 yr deal, get the monkey off his back, and try for a truly big payday after 3 more solid years.

As has been discussed ad nauseam, we do need either 3B or 1B open in a few years.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bumping this for you msgKings, see I did post in this forum at one time.

I didn't think he was worth a 5 year deal on 4/23/14, and now 11/26/14 I still don't the Sox are going to get their money's worth.

But hey, its not my money, I just hope the Giants use that "Panda money" to retool the middle of the lineup. Can they do it with the same cast? '11/'13 Giants say no.

How do you use the Panda money? Most likely it will be a pitcher, but Headley wouldn't be the worst thing at the right price. I wouldn't mind seeing Morse back for a 2 year deal. Peavy probably is as good as gone, but if he wants to come back to get another ring, I wouldn't mind.

OT: Dubs crushed it in ORL tonight, Championship? Mayo you out there?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants tried hard (even in spring) to keep Panda; he sought fresh start - CBSSports.com

Jon Heyman
Baseball Insider
Giants tried hard (even in spring) to keep Panda; he sought fresh start
November 26, 2014 7:25 pm ET

Forever it seems, the word was that the Giants offered Pablo Sandoval $40 million on a three-year deal this spring. And while that's technically true, there's much more to the story.

The $40-million bid was actually nothing more than an informal suggestion made over breakfast, according to someone familiar with the talks, and not close to the final spring offer, which was for more years and considerably more money. The real bid came a bit later, when the Giants offered four guaranteed years on top of the $8.25 million he was to make in 2014, with a vesting option for a fifth year on the extension. Including '14, and assuming the option vested, that offer could have been worth $91.5 million in total.

That's a far cry from the $40-million story that was mostly urban myth.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More reason to believe that, among other things, what any FO tells us is not always the current, accurate, and complete truth.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants tried hard (even in spring) to keep Panda; he sought fresh start - CBSSports.com

Jon Heyman
Baseball Insider
Giants tried hard (even in spring) to keep Panda; he sought fresh start
November 26, 2014 7:25 pm ET

Forever it seems, the word was that the Giants offered Pablo Sandoval $40 million on a three-year deal this spring. And while that's technically true, there's much more to the story.

The $40-million bid was actually nothing more than an informal suggestion made over breakfast, according to someone familiar with the talks, and not close to the final spring offer, which was for more years and considerably more money. The real bid came a bit later, when the Giants offered four guaranteed years on top of the $8.25 million he was to make in 2014, with a vesting option for a fifth year on the extension. Including '14, and assuming the option vested, that offer could have been worth $91.5 million in total.

That's a far cry from the $40-million story that was mostly urban myth.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More reason to believe that, among other things, what any FO tells us is not always the current, accurate, and complete truth.

I don't think it was the FO that distributed the 3/40 number. Bobby Evans said it wasn't the Giants.