• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres trade for Kimbrel, Upton; send prospects.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, fuck Carlos Quentin.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding?

We lose a great closer, but get rid of the most hated sports figure in Atlanta AND we don't have to pay a dime of the remaining contract.

Getting rid of Melvin Upton Jr, the Pads eating all of his remaining contract and all we had to lose was a closer, and we get a very good prospect?

You're right, it's not robbery, it's downright r*pe.

You're such a homer. You traded away a closer that could end up challenging Mariano Rivera's save record and be one of the all-time greatest closers just to help get rid of a bad contract? That's awful. Braves got fucked in the ass, hard.

The Padres system was already drained so getting their top pitching prospect isn't saying much. You better hope they NAIL that 41st overall pick or this trade is just awful, awful, awful.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're such a homer. You traded away a closer that could end up challenging Mariano Rivera's save record and be one of the all-time greatest closers just to help get rid of a bad contract? That's awful. Braves got fucked in the ass, hard.

The Padres system was already drained so getting their top pitching prospect isn't saying much. You better hope they NAIL that 41st overall pick or this trade is just awful, awful, awful.

Having a great closer along with his salary, on a team that will not complete til 2017 at the earliest is pointless. Freeing up $56 mil while getting the No. 34 prospect in baseball, the 41st pick in the draft, & another prospect is a great move for the Braves.

Seriously, why the fuck would the Braves need a great closer right now or in the near future?

The only team that got fucked here were the Padres. Talk to me in 2 years when the Padres are stuck with $68 mil on the books for only 4 players & they still struggle to win 90 games. Then we will be talking about how the Padres have no farm & no money. They can look back on this deal & few others as the cause of that.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a great closer along with his salary, on a team that will not complete til 2017 at the earliest is pointless. Freeing up $56 mil while getting the No. 34 prospect in baseball, the 41st pick in the draft, & another prospect is a great move for the Braves.

Seriously, why the fuck would the Braves need a great closer right now or in the near future?

The only team that got fucked here were the Padres. Talk to me in 2 years when the Padres are stuck with $68 mil on the books for only 4 players & they still struggle to win 90 games. Then we will be talking about how the Padres have no farm & no money. They can look back on this deal & few others as the cause of that.

When you have an asset like Kimbrel, you don't lower his value by adding a bad contract in a trade. Never. They could've gotten so much more. Kimbrel will be an elite closer for at least another 10+ years maybe more barring a major injury. He's still only 26 and has amazing stuff and an amazing track record, just because you're rebuilding doesn't mean you throw that away because of a bad contract.

Even the Dbacks incompetent FO didn't have to trade a stud along with Cahill to get rid of at least half of his salary and they just cut Ross loose and moved on. Contracts will clear up…. a closer as dynamic as Kimbrel or Chapman only come once every 10 years.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ajwonka.jpg

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you also got rid of your few above average hitters in the process.
You mean the ones that would strikeout with a runner on third and 1 out?

We lose power, but we gain a lot more contact, and I'd rather have a team that can put the ball in play than one that either hits a solo homer or strikes out.

And we still have Freeman.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're God damn right I'm a homer. But, he was a CLOSER, not a front line starter, not a top flight hitter, but a CLOSER. You know the guy that's only expected to pitch one inning every few games, the position that's the most overrated in baseball.

And if you're not a Braves fan, you clearly don't know how important it was to get rid of BJ Upton, and all the Padres wanted was a CLOSER and they ate the entire contract and sent us a high ranked prospect. Do you not remember how the Braves had to rid themselves of Dan Uggla? We had to release him, and we still owe him 13 million for this season, and we paid him last season for trying to make a roster on another team. We couldn't afford to do the same with BJ, and if we didn't find a team willing to take him, that's what we would have had to have done.

It was either be stuck with BJ this season, release him after the season and still have to pay him the next two seasons, or trade him away, find the one team that's willing to take on that contract, and all they want with him is a CLOSER, and we get a top prospect and we get rid of the worst contract in franchise history and don't have to pay a dime of it?

Any Braves fan that doesn't like this trade is too blinded by the emotion of losing Kimbrel, but at the end of the day, we lost a closer, but we also lost the face of last season's failures.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres Acquire Craig Kimbrel, Melvin Upton Jr.
By Charlie Wilmoth [April 5, 2015 at 5:09pm CDT]
5:15pm: The Braves will acquire Maybin and Quentin, Rosenthal tweets. The Braves will also acquire pitcher Matt Wisler, as FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi tweets. McDaniel tweets that the Braves will also receive outfield prospect Jordan Paroubeck. Rosenthal tweets that the Braves will also receive the 41st pick in this June’s draft.

5:11pm: The Padres have acquired Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton Jr. (formerly known as B.J. Upton) from the Braves, Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs tweets.

5:09pm: The Padres have completed a trade, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. It’s not yet clear which players are involved. Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller tweets, however, that the trade could involve Cameron Maybin or fellow outfielder Carlos Quentin, which would make sense given the Padres’ roster construction.

poor ted turner

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the ones that would strikeout with a runner on third and 1 out?

We lose power, but we gain a lot more contact, and I'd rather have a team that can put the ball in play than one that either hits a solo homer or strikes out.

And we still have Freeman.

But it's not as if some of the guys they lost (Heyward, Gattis, J.Upton) were .220 hitters who could only hit homers...the three of them collectively hit around .270ish, whereas Rotochamp for what it's worth is projecting their replacements to hit .258 with less power. I'm not so sure that being contact hitters alone makes those replacements an upgrade if they do everything else offensively worse.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres certainly are going for it aren't they? As to Atlanta they're looking towards the future but I'm thinking 2015's going to be a long year for the Braves.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're God damn right I'm a homer. But, he was a CLOSER, not a front line starter, not a top flight hitter, but a CLOSER. You know the guy that's only expected to pitch one inning every few games, the position that's the most overrated in baseball.

And if you're not a Braves fan, you clearly don't know how important it was to get rid of BJ Upton, and all the Padres wanted was a CLOSER and they ate the entire contract and sent us a high ranked prospect. Do you not remember how the Braves had to rid themselves of Dan Uggla? We had to release him, and we still owe him 13 million for this season, and we paid him last season for trying to make a roster on another team. We couldn't afford to do the same with BJ, and if we didn't find a team willing to take him, that's what we would have had to have done.

It was either be stuck with BJ this season, release him after the season and still have to pay him the next two seasons, or trade him away, find the one team that's willing to take on that contract, and all they want with him is a CLOSER, and we get a top prospect and we get rid of the worst contract in franchise history and don't have to pay a dime of it?

Any Braves fan that doesn't like this trade is too blinded by the emotion of losing Kimbrel, but at the end of the day, we lost a closer, but we also lost the face of last season's failures.

Alright, alright. You make some solid points, I just really thought they could've gotten more for him is all. I don't think it was an awful trade, I just exaggerated with that comment, but when you say the Braves raped them that's where I disagree. I think the next 3-4 years the Padres won big time, but if the Braves use the money saved wisely and make a good draft pick then it could turn out to be a decent return overall.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's not as if some of the guys they lost (Heyward, Gattis, J.Upton) were .220 hitters who could only hit homers...the three of them collectively hit around .270ish, whereas Rotochamp for what it's worth is projecting their replacements to hit .258 with less power. I'm not so sure that being contact hitters alone makes those replacements an upgrade if they do everything else offensively worse.

Atlanta homers never cease to amaze me.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the short term, as a Mets fan I love this move. The Mets need to absolutely crush the Phillies and Braves this year if they have any shot at making the playoffs. Not getting bent over by the Nationals would help as well.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sad thing to me is that the Braves rotation is still very good... Now their bullpen got weakened, which will ultimately weaken the rotation, and their offense is epicly bad(not that it would have been much better with Upton)...

But the point still is, a weakened BP will in fact hurt their rotation... And with a young rotation, this is not a good thing...

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves Management is doing everything possible to ruin what was a pretty decent team- and they are succeeding! Kimbrel is the best- period. You simply don't trade a player of his value, especially for junk and prospects. Hart Schurholz and Cox must all have demetia! This team will lose 100 games this year. Their logic is to rebuild for 2017. How come the Cardinals, Red Sox. Tigers and other teams don't try this strategy? Is it really neccessary to become a minor league level team in order to rebuild?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing the Pares win the NLW. Their fans deserve a winning team. The only team I pull for outside of the Dbacks. But I have a feeling that team still is a ways off from contending. But congrats, you improved what was already a strength for the team...