• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers offense only scored 17

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I figured it out, it looks like since Jones jumped first, when Cully jumped he jumped into Jones and that stopped or slowed his vertical motion just enough that Cully couldn't get high enough and then that ball just missed his fingertips.

Cully5.png

That makes sense. It looked like Culliver only got like 15 inches of vertical there.

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers get called the Forty-whiners because there are a lot of people that think a kindergarten level rhyme is really clever. It's not. Every team has plenty of fans that complain about officiating whether it's warranted or not. In this case we're kind of picking nits because that last TD had no effect on the outcome of the game but I still think the complaints are warranted. It made the game look closer than it was and padded their point total.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last TD put Rodgers ahead of Kaep in passer rating. Passer rating doesn't account for running, though. Kaep clearly outplayed Rodgers yesterday.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Passer Rating is a rate statistic that doesn't capture total production. Good game plan yesterday to limit Rodgers's opportunities.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, C'mon - This is why we get called forty-whiners. They scored 24 pts because our defense gave up 24 pts - it is as simple as that. We never once played prevent on that final scoring drive.

Aaron & Company mounted a 'hurry-up'-12 play-77 yard drive against our pass rush and our dime packages, a drive that included one 3rd & one 4th down conversion. We allowed a garbage time TD to Arizona in much the same fashion. We simply MUST do a better job of finishing.

As for the penalty, the ref was pulling the flag on contact, so it probably should have been an "illegal contact" 5-yard penalty and not PI. I do agree if there was PI it was more so OPI. But aside from that debate - they scored 24 because we gave up 24.

The one thing I disagree about with that, is if you watch that play again you will see that Jordy Nelson did not once complain about pass interference. He was running a route where he planned to sell the back corner and then shove Brown off for the back shoulder TD pass at the Goalline.

Instead Rodgers threw it to the back corner and Brown had an easy INT because Nelson and Rodgers weren't on the same page. I find it really strange that Nelson wasn't complaining about PI, that tells a whole lot if a Packer WR isn't looking for a flag because of contact.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers get called the Forty-whiners because there are a lot of people that think a kindergarten level rhyme is really clever. It's not. Every team has plenty of fans that complain about officiating whether it's warranted or not. In this case we're kind of picking nits because that last TD had no effect on the outcome of the game but I still think the complaints are warranted. It made the game look closer than it was and padded their point total.

I get the nursery rhyme aspect of the phrase but hell, we don't have to confirm it! The penalty came on the what was effectively the 10th play of the drive - We need to stop these drives long before they get to that point. It is picking nits, I agree. We should just sack-up, own it and move on.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I disagree about with that, is if you watch that play again you will see that Jordy Nelson did not once complain about pass interference. He was running a route where he planned to sell the back corner and then shove Brown off for the back shoulder TD pass at the Goalline.

Instead Rodgers threw it to the back corner and Brown had an easy INT because Nelson and Rodgers weren't on the same page. I find it really strange that Nelson wasn't complaining about PI, that tells a whole lot if a Packer WR isn't looking for a flag because of contact.

I mentioned that I felt if PI was the correct call it probably should have been OPI as Nelson clearly pushed off and I agree his body language seemed to confirm suspicion. I think the call should have been "illegal contact" and not PI and that would have been much more correct.

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the nursery rhyme aspect of the phrase but hell, we don't have to confirm it! The penalty came on the what was effectively the 10th play of the drive - We need to stop these drives long before they get to that point. It is picking nits, I agree. We should just sack-up, own it and move on.

Absolutely. What's done is done and it's really not a huge deal. What's frustrating is when people use that 24 point total in their argument that the defense didn't play well. I thought the defense played very well.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought for sure the penalty was OPI. I was shocked when I heard the call. Receivers and DB's are always touching each other on pass plays, and they usually only call it if someone pushes on the other. In this case, that was Jordy Nelson who pushed. It didn't look like Brown was impeding his path or using his arms to push on him.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. What's done is done and it's really not a huge deal. What's frustrating is when people use that 24 point total in their argument that the defense didn't play well. I thought the defense played very well.

I agree. The defense played well. All those 3 and outs against the vaunted Packers offense were huge.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ahh, I see, got it. Yeah, those wanting to have that argument are wasting their time. I know how they scored each one of their 31 points. I agree our defense did play well.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned that I felt if PI was the correct call it probably should have been OPI as Nelson clearly pushed off and I agree his body language seemed to confirm suspicion. I think the call should have been "illegal contact" and not PI and that would have been much more correct.

Oh yeah, oops. Good point

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

While we weren't in a traditional prevent, the defense backed off a little. They were much more willing to give up the underneath stuff rather than risk getting beat over the top for a quick score. GB scoring on that possession was not a surprise, but the way they had to do it was the important part. They took over with 3:34 left in the game and we forced them to use 2:37 of it. That's much better than allowing them to score quickly, keep TOs and think they have a chance.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we weren't in a traditional prevent, the defense backed off a little. They were much more willing to give up the underneath stuff rather than risk getting beat over the top for a quick score. GB scoring on that possession was not a surprise, but the way they had to do it was the important part. They took over with 3:34 left in the game and we forced them to use 2:37 of it. That's much better than allowing them to score quickly, keep TOs and think they have a chance.

Yes, of course we wanted to keep the plays in front of us; however, we didn't do anything special to acheive this. We ran the same (4 WR) defense on that drive that we ran the entire game.

As for the time, not that it matters or changes anything, but they began with 3:29, and an additional 22 seconds were used on the skirmish with Whitner. Regardless of how much time it took them to score our defense still allowed them to score.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cully.png

This isn't a great picture, but Cully tried to make a play on it but just wasn't able to, in my opinion it was a really lucky pass

Honestly too, it looks like Cully reacted late and jumped weird. Anyway, he was definitely in position to stop that but he screwed up. I guess that is the bottom line.

Yep. That's the way I saw it too.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, C'mon - This is why we get called forty-whiners. They scored 24 pts because our defense gave up 24 pts - it is as simple as that. We never once played prevent on that final scoring drive.

Aaron & Company mounted a 'hurry-up'-12 play-77 yard drive against our pass rush and our dime packages, a drive that included one 3rd & one 4th down conversion. We allowed a garbage time TD to Arizona in much the same fashion. We simply MUST do a better job of finishing.

As for the penalty, the ref was pulling the flag on contact, so it probably should have been an "illegal contact" 5-yard penalty and not PI. I do agree if there was PI it was more so OPI. But aside from that debate - they scored 24 because we gave up 24.

This is not just directed to your comment but to others who counts garbage points as much as points scored when the game is on the line.

When your up 3 scores all you want to do is drain clock. Point differential means squat as long as you get the W. As in baseball, with a big lead, you're willing trade runs for outs.

The niners IMO finished the game fine. Up 3 scores, they tackled in bounds and gave up all soft stuff underneath. That's by design. So the Packer's scored a meaningless TD which never should have happened. After the niners stopped making mistakes, they dominated the second half.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cully play was a broken play that Rodgers was trying to improvise. Culliver played it like he had safety help and the only way Rodgers could complete a pass there was to just heave it up and have James Jones make a play.

Cully was an inch away from tipping it and James Jones had to catch that ball twice.

It wasn't as bad as some of you are making it

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cully play was not a broken play that Rodgers was trying to improvise. Culliver played it like he had safety help and the only way Rodgers could complete a pass there was to just heave it up and have James Jones make a play.

Cully was an inch away from tipping it and James Jones had to catch that ball twice.

It wasn't as bad as some of you are making it

Just rewatched it and amended my earlier statement. Rodgers was in the pocket when he went up top on that pass play.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not just directed to your comment but to others who counts garbage points as much as points scored when the game is on the line.

When your up 3 scores all you want to do is drain clock. Point differential means squat as long as you get the W. As in baseball, with a big lead, you're willing trade runs for outs.

The niners IMO finished the game fine. Up 3 scores, they tackled in bounds and gave up all soft stuff underneath. That's by design. So the Packer's scored a meaningless TD which never should have happened. After the niners stopped making mistakes, they dominated the second half.

...Agree

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished the game up 3 Scores? <jsmh>

Reread it again.

The niners finished the game fine. (end of statement)
(new statement) Up three scores, they tackled inbounds and gave up soft stuff underneath, essentially trying to burn clock.

Sorry to get technical on you but maybe I should have said, While up three scores, etc