• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do the non UW/UO fans think about this?
I cannot imagine ASU going for being a 2nd class citizen. ASU has a comparable athletic department and is in Phoenix (which is slightly bigger than Seattle). Is ASU worth as much as UW and Oregon? No, but it's not the sort of gap that's going to have them taking a significantly lesser share. The top 4 athletic department expenditures over the last few years have always been in varying order UCLA, Washington, Oregon and ASU. USC is presumed to be somewhere towards the bottom of that group. Nobody knows what Stanford does.

Last edited:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm about to post 3 times in a row, but kind of riding off my previous post on TheLoneStarDucks link and question-

Over the last 4 years, of Pac 12 teams that report athletic department revenue, my quick and rounded down (so a little higher in actuality) average of the top 4 teams is:

UCLA - $121.95 mil (also in massive debt)
UW- $118.14 mil
Oregon - $117.71 mil
ASU- $116.71 mil

The athletic departments of those 3 remaining schools are functionally peers. Oregon is a solid sub blue blood brand name right now. Washington has history and Seattle. ASU brings Phoenix, which is slightly bigger than Seattle.

Someone will bring up TV ratings then. That's what really matters in terms of TV revenue share, of course. Not exactly a fair measurement though-

Washington, for example, played 4 of its 12 games after 9 PM EST.
Oregon played 4 of its 14 games after 9 PM EST.
UCLA played 6 of its 13 after 9 PM EST.
USC played 5 of its 12 after 9 PM EST.

ASU played an incredible 10 of its 13 after 9 PM EST. I stopped looking after 2015, but in that time span ASU has never had less than 6 games kicking off after 9 PM EST, when half the country was getting ready for bed.

My point being that ASU isn't going to take a backseat. If there's unequal revenue sharing, ASU is going to be one of the ones with the bigger slice.

Last edited:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football revenue is what the conference is looking at. ASU is way down the list.

ASU will get a cookie just without the chocolate chips that the Huskies and Ducks will enjoy ;)

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football revenue is what the conference is looking at. ASU is way down the list.

ASU will get a cookie just without the chocolate chips that the Huskies and Ducks will enjoy ;)
No. But if that is the case, then ASU will leave and take Phoenix with it. And probably Denver and SLC since the corner schools are probably going to stick together unless one of them gets a Big 10 or SEC invite.

GoBankingRates.com is a great source btw.

Last edited:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. But if that is the case, then ASU will leave and take Phoenix with it. And probably Denver and SLC since the corner schools are probably going to stick together unless one of them gets a Big 10 or SEC invite.

GoBankingRates.com is a great source btw.
Where ya going?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where ya going?
Presumably the Big 12, or whatever the best offer is. Oregon and Washington certainly have plenty of value, but my point was that they aren't just the two new kings to rule over the other remnants of the Pac 12. I'd prefer everyone stick together and I'm not even against unequal shares of revenue. But the idea that Oregon and Washington are going to be the only two schools that get more than their peers? Uh uh. Don't got that kind of clout. Realignment is essentially a game of musical chairs and after this last round, both of those schools were left standing up too.

Rumors can abound all they want, but Oregon's best chance at getting a seat in the Big Ten is because the B1G presidents and BORs want UW bad enough that Washington could drag Oregon along with it. Yes, the Big Ten went after the LA schools and got the LA viewership market. That's a big coup for sports. If you read between the lines a little bit, however, you'll probably also note that they got the #7 and #27 R&D academic institutions in the country into the Big Ten Academic Alliance, with research activity close to or over a billion annually. Football money is a drop in the ocean compared to academic resource collaboration.

Oregon brings almost nothing to the table on that end. It's a very distant last place in the Pac 12 from a research standpoint. Washington is a juggernaut. Even ASU, the "dumb school" from cartoon shows, does 6x the research activity that Oregon does, on par with Purdue and Virginia. Oregon's problem is that it's essentially riding the momentum of an 84 year old billionaire pounding money and influence into the school. It's a great ride but the downside is, and you can ask Oklahoma State and North Dakota about T. Boone Pickens and Ralph Engelstad, the sugar daddy faucet gets dialed down a bit after the guy with all the money dies.

tldr; Oregon's not as cool as it thinks it is. It's just riding high. If the Pac 12 blows itself up again, they'll probably be in the Big 12 with the corner schools. They certainly don't have the power to demand more money.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, from what I'm hearing, there is very little that they can do. And I seriously doubt that UCLA's lawyers only looked at if they can leave the PAC. If that's all that they looked at, they should be fired immediately. Their job was not only to check the legality of the move, but also to look at possible repercussions.

Additionally, by making this move, UCLA may well have saved a bunch of Olympic sports because with the athletic department over $100 million in debt they were looking at having to cut some of those sports.

This looks to be nothing more than Newsom making it about him and trying to look tough.
Ok, I will 100% default to you on this one as I don’t live in California or no anything about their politics nor how their school system works. I was just going off what that dude (honestly can’t remember his) was saying.

Like I wrote to Gopher douche, it is good for UCLA but I still 100% believe Stanford would’ve been the better choice for the other members.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Standford is going to agree to join the Big 12
Az and Cu also
Maybe Cal

Knight supposedly met with the new Big 12 commissioner
Don't know what the means for Oregon

The new commissioner isn't official until Aug 1st and can't sign before that
The out going commissioner said he'd leave expansion to the new guy

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Standford is going to agree to join the Big 12
Az and Cu also
Maybe Cal

Knight supposedly met with the new Big 12 commissioner
Don't know what the means for Oregon

The new commissioner isn't official until Aug 1st and can't sign before that
The out going commissioner said he'd leave expansion to the new guy

lol don’t believe everything you read from anonymous Twitter users. Stanford is not going to the Big 12

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol don’t believe everything you read from anonymous Twitter users. Stanford is not going to the Big 12
Yeah won't know until maybe Aug
The rumored low ball numbers thrown out from ESPN to the PAC10 and Fox declining to play in their 30 day window makes everything interesting

Knight has had two no so secret meetings with the new Big 12 commissioner
Nothing public said afterwards that I've seen.
But he is a grad of both Stanford and Oregon, gives big bucks to Standford, not Oregon big, but big just the same. :)

He checked with a bunch of his BIG Ten AD buddies right after the UCLA/USC announcement basically checking temperature of any future expansion there

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah won't know until maybe Aug
The rumored low ball numbers thrown out from ESPN to the PAC10 and Fox declining to play in their 30 day window makes everything interesting

Knight has had two no so secret meetings with the new Big 12 commissioner
Nothing public said afterwards that I've seen.
But he is a grad of both Stanford and Oregon, gives big bucks to Standford, not Oregon big, but big just the same. :)

He checked with a bunch of his BIG Ten AD buddies right after the UCLA/USC announcement basically checking temperature of any future expansion there

I think everyone expected the PAC to decline the offer and take their rights to the open market. I'm not surprised by that at all.

Can you cite one credible report that claims Phil Knight has met with the new Big 12 commissioner?

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone expected the PAC to decline the offer and take their rights to the open market. I'm not surprised by that at all.

Can you cite one credible report that claims Phil Knight has met with the new Big 12 commissioner?
I first saw it from Dennis Dodd of CBS
One of those things hard to find who said it 1st. :)
Re-reading, they may be phone meetings

I've seen one guy do a really good interview and then 10 others write an article on a couple quotes in it. :)

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I first saw it from Dennis Dodd of CBS
One of those things hard to find who said it 1st. :)
Re-reading, they may be phone meetings

I've seen one guy do a really good interview and then 10 others write an article on a couple quotes in it. :)

Dodd claimed he was “working the phones”, whatever that means. It says nothing about a meeting with the big 12 commish. It’s hard to find this article because it doesn’t exist

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

12 years is way too long, but at least it appears some negotiations are taking place to figure something out to try to keep the PAC alive.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

12 years is way too long, but at least it appears some negotiations are taking place to figure something out to try to keep the PAC alive.
If they kept it to 5 or 6 years, that might be a thing. 12 is way too long. Agreed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ASU has the most leverage out of any school in the conference