• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new AD is a fundraising machine so I think he will change things at UCLA but this is a tough time to take over and change things like that

That'll help. But the biggest issue is still that they have to go outside of the university to get the okay.

At USC, if Mike Bohn wants to make a change, he only has to get the okay of the President of the University.

If the AD at UCLA wants to make a change, he has to get the okay of the President of the University, who then has to get the okay of whatever state government dept. determines those things (used to know what it's called, but have forgotten).

So, while fundraising may help with the amount that would be approved, it still would be having to get the okay from outside the university, which can be a time consuming process, especially in California.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about. Hopefully, they will have some kind of measures in place the ability to make changes on the fly if what they are doing doesn't seem to be working.

I think most players tend to stay in the athletic facility anyway, maybe it'll be a matter of them staying there even more. Maybe have the athletes take their classes online, via Zoom, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what schools come up with in that regard.
The only thing that leaves me any real hope is that college football is too lucrative to not spend whatever money and planning possible to protect it. Just hard to see this staying in check across thousands of college kids on these teams while their season is going in during what is predicted to be as bad (or worse) of a wave as the one we just finished. It's a tough situation to predict.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing a quick stop in here. Hope all is well and see you guys in 2021 when we have college football again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that leaves me any real hope is that college football is too lucrative to not spend whatever money and planning possible to protect it. Just hard to see this staying in check across thousands of college kids on these teams while their season is going in during what is predicted to be as bad (or worse) of a wave as the one we just finished. It's a tough situation to predict.

I'm really skeptical about a 2nd wave being as bad or worse. We at least know what we need to do now.

I think a big part of the problem with the first wave was that no one knew what it was or how it would act. Now we know a lot more.

Plus, it looks like it was here earlier than we thought (maybe as early as October) which was also a big part of the problem.

Either way, we're at a point now where it's time to start trying things and then making adjustments as necessary.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really skeptical about a 2nd wave being as bad or worse. We at least know what we need to do now.

I think a big part of the problem with the first wave was that no one knew what it was or how it would act. Now we know a lot more.

Plus, it looks like it was here earlier than we thought (maybe as early as October) which was also a big part of the problem.

Either way, we're at a point now where it's time to start trying things and then making adjustments as necessary.
Of course we need to be more open. We should have done more sooner. Had we reacted to the initial virus in Feb instead of March we likely wouldn't have had many areas with stay at home orders.

The problem is the virus took off at the very end of the typical flu season. It is slowing way down during the summer months not unlike the flu does.

Of course we have a better understanding how to treat it, but until we get better medicines online it still sidelines patients for a month or so which will still scare up the media and push the governors. These aren't the concerns for CFB though. At least outside of governors that might bad sports during another wave.

It's not going to take many teams having outbreaks during the season to cause it to derail. That's the part that matters here. 100+ kids around every team and kids being kids won't all be sequestered and safe at all times. Happening at a time when things build back up.

You don't have to agree with the models showing a high outbreak coming to see the danger for a full season going off without a hitch. I hope the full season happens as written, but just don't have a very high degree of confidence that will happen. So far, everything we thought would turn out fine has taken far longer and had more issues than any of us thought would happen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we need to be more open. We should have done more sooner. Had we reacted to the initial virus in Feb instead of March we likely wouldn't have had many areas with stay at home orders.

The problem is the virus took off at the very end of the typical flu season. It is slowing way down during the summer months not unlike the flu does.

Of course we have a better understanding how to treat it, but until we get better medicines online it still sidelines patients for a month or so which will still scare up the media and push the governors. These aren't the concerns for CFB though. At least outside of governors that might bad sports during another wave.

It's not going to take many teams having outbreaks during the season to cause it to derail. That's the part that matters here. 100+ kids around every team and kids being kids won't all be sequestered and safe at all times. Happening at a time when things build back up.

You don't have to agree with the models showing a high outbreak coming to see the danger for a full season going off without a hitch. I hope the full season happens as written, but just don't have a very high degree of confidence that will happen. So far, everything we thought would turn out fine has taken far longer and had more issues than any of us thought would happen.

Had UW not made their idiotic model the world wouldn’t have gone into an overreaction panic. All of the SEC athletes that contracted it will be fine just as every single Pac 12 athlete that will contract it will be fine. In case I am wrong and all of the athletes end up not fine, then everything should open up and live life like normal because a vaccine will be utterly pointless.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Feb 1 - The USA had 6 positive cases. Yes in hindsight social distancing could have been put in place. But for 6 total cases? C’mon.

The first case in the United States (US) was identified in Washington state on January 21, 2020. As of January 31, 2020, a total of six positive cases have been reported in the US; five are travel-associated and one is local transmission in the US. On January 31, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated the case definition for patients under investigation (PUI). This Health Notice provides updated guidance for evaluation of PUIs for 2019-nCoV, prevention and infection control guidance, and information on specimen collection.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we are trying and hoping we can get back to some sort of normal soon or even maybe next season. I have airline and hotel and tickets lined up for USC Alabama in Texas in Sept and every day I fluctuate between its gonna happen I'm gonna go see this game and this looks like it could go bad.
I know for some its all been overblown but when you realize more Americans died of this thing between March and now the middle of June than all of WW1 or Korea and Vietnam combined then you're a fool if you don't take this seriously. And yes these are young men who are in great shape and they could get it and be fine but there are coaches , assistant coaches ,trainers , equipment people and a host of others who people have to think about.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Fathers day to the fathers in this group and a very special one to the grandfathers out there. I hope you have a great day with family

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we are trying and hoping we can get back to some sort of normal soon or even maybe next season. I have airline and hotel and tickets lined up for USC Alabama in Texas in Sept and every day I fluctuate between its gonna happen I'm gonna go see this game and this looks like it could go bad.
I know for some its all been overblown but when you realize more Americans died of this thing between March and now the middle of June than all of WW1 or Korea and Vietnam combined then you're a fool if you don't take this seriously. And yes these are young men who are in great shape and they could get it and be fine but there are coaches , assistant coaches ,trainers , equipment people and a host of others who people have to think about.
The wife and I cancelled our trip to the game last week. Just too many things in play right now that look like the season could be derailed. With teams like Bama, Clemson, LSU, etc. having kids testing positive for Covid, I will not be surprised if the season is cancelled, shortened, or pushed back.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wife and I cancelled our trip to the game last week. Just too many things in play right now that look like the season could be derailed. With teams like Bama, Clemson, LSU, etc. having kids testing positive for Covid, I will not be surprised if the season is cancelled, shortened, or pushed back.

I'm still going anyway. I have three Marine friends in the Dallas area and we have used these opportunists to meet up. I'm not even sure even with tickets we would get in if the game is played. The fight was pretty cheap ($106, RT on Alaska) and the hotel I can cancel up to the day before and just stay at my friends house and chill at her pool. If it was just for the game I probably wouldn't be thinking about going.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too disappointed as we did not have great seats, and knowing how big Jerry World is, I'll be able to see more of the game in the comfort of my home. But on the other hand, I'm really pissed because I campaigned like a southern diplomat (stole that from a Chuck Berry song....which one?) and finally got my wife to agree to get the tickets, flight, hotel room, etc.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Feb 1 - The USA had 6 positive cases. Yes in hindsight social distancing could have been put in place. But for 6 total cases? C’mon.

The first case in the United States (US) was identified in Washington state on January 21, 2020. As of January 31, 2020, a total of six positive cases have been reported in the US; five are travel-associated and one is local transmission in the US. On January 31, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated the case definition for patients under investigation (PUI). This Health Notice provides updated guidance for evaluation of PUIs for 2019-nCoV, prevention and infection control guidance, and information on specimen collection.
Not sure what your point is, but mine was earlier action would have allowed the CDC to start off in containment instead of bypassing that for mitigation when it was already out of control and beyond containment measures.

Had they responded earlier they would have discovered the flaw in their tests earlier which would have been huge. The single biggest gaff that pushed us into mitigation was that delay as they made threats to other labs against using any other test while theirs was recalled. It took weeks to get the fixed tests out and even then, many were missing parts of the tests.

Earlier response would have had a major impact because of those problems. Even one week sooner would have had a magnitude of impact that could have made a huge difference. This isn't an opinion, it's fact.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too disappointed as we did not have great seats, and knowing how big Jerry World is, I'll be able to see more of the game in the comfort of my home. But on the other hand, I'm really pissed because I campaigned like a southern diplomat (stole that from a Chuck Berry song....which one?) and finally got my wife to agree to get the tickets, flight, hotel room, etc.

I was there for the last one. Was not impressed with that place as a venue for college football. Nothing about that place says college football. It was too sterile. It didn't help that my friend left our tickets on the bathroom counter back at the hotel in Dallas and we had to buy new set of tickets three hours before gametime. lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what your point is, but mine was earlier action would have allowed the CDC to start off in containment instead of bypassing that for mitigation when it was already out of control and beyond containment measures.

Had they responded earlier they would have discovered the flaw in their tests earlier which would have been huge. The single biggest gaff that pushed us into mitigation was that delay as they made threats to other labs against using any other test while theirs was recalled. It took weeks to get the fixed tests out and even then, many were missing parts of the tests.

Earlier response would have had a major impact because of those problems. Even one week sooner would have had a magnitude of impact that could have made a huge difference. This isn't an opinion, it's fact.
Very true. It was a domino effect

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOF!!!!
Huskies land a great local for the 2021 class. Outstanding 2-way ATH, but will defintely be groomed for the LB corps.

you forgot who else was looking

Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas State, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon State, Tennessee, USC, Utah, WSU.

profile says S for position not LB.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another PAC related commit coming this evening is DE Maurice Heims, Santa Margarita HS, CA.

He said he'll be announcing around 7PM this evening. His final choices are ASU, Colorado, Illinois, Penn St., and Washington.

Doesn't look like anyone updated so Heims did in fact pick UW.
3* LB
offers from Arizona, Arizona State, BC, Colorado, Illinois, Oregon State, Penn State and WSU

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you forgot who else was looking

Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas State, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon State, Tennessee, USC, Utah, WSU.

profile says S for position not LB.
He's gonna be groomed as a ILB. It was really down to Utah and Washington as they were the final choices. He's got nice skills at tracking and closing in on the ball, so expect to see him out there on special teams a lot as well.