• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the CA gov says ok for games and on campus schooling right? But the conference feels it's too much of a risk for players to get Covid, during games? Or is it during classes?

I know that they will be getting a big loan to cover the losses, but wouldn't it be better to get a loan for all the testing to ensure you play?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the CA gov says ok for games and on campus schooling right? But the conference feels it's too much of a risk for players to get Covid, during games? Or is it during classes?

For the conference, it's the Presidents who are leaning toward not playing. Their opposition has nothing to do with player safety (although, if the season is canceled or postponed that's the reason they'll give).

For the Presidents it's strictly about liability and not wanting to cede to the demands of the #WeAreUnited players.

If the conference Presidents vote to cancel the season, I hope that at least a couple of the schools do like Nebraska and Iowa and say they'll look at other options.

That looks like it might have some of the other Presidents starting to rethink their position.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the conference, it's the Presidents who are leaning toward not playing. Their opposition has nothing to do with player safety (although, if the season is canceled or postponed that's the reason they'll give).

For the Presidents it's strictly about liability and not wanting to cede to the demands of the #WeAreUnited players.

If the conference Presidents vote to cancel the season, I hope that at least a couple of the schools do like Nebraska and Iowa and say they'll look at other options.

That looks like it might have some of the other Presidents starting to rethink their position.
I don't know what the big issue is regarding union for players. There should be some type of representation for all college players. Insurance, NILs, reporting in good faith for things they know is bad at their school.

Now i get what they are asking for and some of it is just off the wall, but that's how negotiations go, right?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what the big issue is regarding union for players. There should be some type of representation for all college players. Insurance, NILs, reporting in good faith for things they know is bad at their school.

Now i get what they are asking for and some of it is just off the wall, but that's how negotiations go, right?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the big issue is regarding Yep,union for players. There should be some type of representation for all college players. Insurance, NILs, reporting in good faith for things they know is bad at their school.

Agree and if that's all the players were asking for, I doubt they'd be looking at canceling the season.

Yep, that's how they work typically. The Presidents don't want to negotiate.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and if that's all the players were asking for, I doubt they'd be looking at canceling the season.

Yep, that's how they work typically. The Presidents don't want to negotiate.
Presidents don't like athletics for the most part, but when those loans begin to send invoices, they will change their mind. But honestly, as far as athletics go, the genie is out the bottle. Universities SHOULD allow ADs more power for athletics.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presidents don't like athletics for the most part, but when those loans begin to send invoices, they will change their mind. But honestly, as far as athletics go, the genie is out the bottle. Universities SHOULD allow ADs more power for athletics.

Agree.

Just heard on Dan Patrick that it looks like some of these Presidents are starting to waiver some.

He said that from what he was told, the B1G and the PAC were supposed to announce today that they were canceling their seasons. But now it's looking like they are more likely to announce that they are postponing that decision.

If the B1G delays their decision, I think the PAC will too. From what has been said, because of the optics, the PAC didn't want to be the first P5 conference to cancel their season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't operate college sports the same way as the pros with these protection bubbles. First, these are kids and good luck having them all 100% stay in isolation. Second, they are students and couldn't stay in a bubble while doing the main thing they are there for.

Pro sports are way more covid manageable and yet even they still have issues.

This wasn't ever going to work out. I was surprised they were even going through the motions. 100+ kids on each team. One or two get it because they snuck out and you lose a team to quarantine, again because of liability of nothing else.

This virus can just fuck right off any time now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second, they are students and couldn't stay in a bubble while doing the main thing they are there for.

Yes they can. They can have virtual classes like pretty much all schools at pretty much every level did when started getting shut down.

They can keep them at the football facilities, have virtual classes and with the added benefit of having the coaches around to make sure they're actually showing up and paying attention.

Most of the AD's, coaches and players are saying that they are safer at their football facilities because of the testing and medical care they receive.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Just heard on Dan Patrick that it looks like some of these Presidents are starting to waiver some.

He said that from what he was told, the B1G and the PAC were supposed to announce today that they were canceling their seasons. But now it's looking like they are more likely to announce that they are postponing that decision.

If the B1G delays their decision, I think the PAC will too. From what has been said, because of the optics, the PAC didn't want to be the first P5 conference to cancel their season.
Just read that report of the PAC securing a loan to cover costs in case of a canceled season..
THought this was VERY interesting..

One of the obstacles: Potential partners wanted assurances that the conference would hold together — meaning that each school would be required to pledge its media rights to the collective for decades to come.

Without the revenue from those media rights, the value of the conference would diminish.

“They played around with a third party … but decided against any deal,’’ a source said. “They asked everyone to throw in a grant of rights for 25 or 30 years, and USC and UCLA were not going to do it.

“Who would invest in the Pac-12 for that length of time if USC and UCLA were not going to do it?”

Muncie2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no Pac-12 athletics through the end of the year this would be the perfect time to fire Larry Scott and get a competent replacement on board ASAP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents. Between scholarships (remember, the actual cost for out of state tuition (waived) that others have to get loans for), books and expenses, room & board, trainers tables, cost of attendance stipends for all athletes in all sports, uniforms and other team gear provided for free, etc. If you add it up for all athletes in all sports, guessing it comes to more than 50% of athletic department expenses, and it would not take too much, if any creative accounting to do it. So no, IMO, they don't know WTF they are doing...

That is kind of my point of the B-Y. Take out all of the politics and all that jazz, trying to start a quasi players association is not well thought out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cal students weren't extremely smart... you wouldn't be talking about this movement.

Literally makes no sense. You do not have to be smart to put pen to start a “movement”. I am sure they teach history at Berkeley.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't operate college sports the same way as the pros with these protection bubbles. First, these are kids and good luck having them all 100% stay in isolation. Second, they are students and couldn't stay in a bubble while doing the main thing they are there for.

Pro sports are way more covid manageable and yet even they still have issues.

This wasn't ever going to work out. I was surprised they were even going through the motions. 100+ kids on each team. One or two get it because they snuck out and you lose a team to quarantine, again because of liability of nothing else.

This virus can just fuck right off any time now.

Max Browne had a great tweet about it. They should’ve sent the entire Pac 12 to Pullman to enforce the bubble. But ya, the lack of a bubble and the fact that we have individual conferences that aren’t one cohesive unit kind of doomed. Baseball is having issues because they didn’t implement a bubble and those are grown ass men and baseball has much higher personnel to player percentage.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max Browne had a great tweet about it. They should’ve sent the entire Pac 12 to Pullman to enforce the bubble. But ya, the lack of a bubble and the fact that we have individual conferences that aren’t one cohesive unit kind of doomed. Baseball is having issues because they didn’t implement a bubble and those are grown ass men and baseball has much higher personnel to player percentage.
you would have to bubble somewhere with at least 2 fields no way to play 6 games a day on just 1

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no football this year, looks like the Olympics Channel, cough, I mean the PAC-12 network is making some big financial cuts.

One if the bright spots of the network, Mike Yam, has been let go. His coverage of football was always very high quality.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you would have to bubble somewhere with at least 2 fields no way to play 6 games a day on just 1

Well Pullman and Moscow are quite the bubble. The Kibbie Dome would’ve held a nice 2 field. I mean it is unrealistic but IMO there isn’t really a reason the least likely group of people in the world to die from the virus shouldn’t be allowed to continue along with their normal lives. But it also is terrible optics that fans want it for their entertainment and “grown ups” want the money that comes with them playing.