• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ovie available?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lowe said a year ago that half of the teams in the league would be willing to trade rosters with the Oilers, maybe the Caps should take up ole Kev on his offer?

:behindsofa:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green I think should be the one dealt.

Also I think the Caps would be helped greatly by some additional second line scoring. I know they have Ward, Brouwer, Grabovski and then you have Fehr and Chimera.
That is some deep 3rd line depth but if Kuznetsov works out and Johansson develops that would solve that problem.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps dont have to totally rebuild. I think OV is done in Washington., but a team like Buffalo or Nashville or the Islanders that need a major upgrade in the offense dept would give up some good pieces.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps dont have to totally rebuild. I think OV is done in Washington., but a team like Buffalo or Nashville or the Islanders that need a major upgrade in the offense dept would give up some good pieces.

These were actually the teams I was talking about but you probably aren't getting back much better then prospects and picks. Buffalo just has a young roster right now so the best NHL guys you might want are (IMO) Erhoff & Hodgson. Now I would think all 3 of buffaloes 1st this year would be asked for as the actual starting point. Nashville has a bunch if blue chip defensive prospects but you're not getting Jones and unless they blow the team up Weber & Rinne are untouchable (both of which would help but I think for Weber alone you'd have to give up more the Ovie, signing Shea's offer sheet was a huge statement) plus their a artificial cap team due to financial restrictions and Ovie's contract is pretty big still. The islanders are the most interesting team here but you're not getting JT or Okposo (again IMO) which leaves the rich prospect pool to be picked clean, however they have a cheap owner I'm Wang and until the team sale takes place I don't think he'd want an influx of 5m+ in salary to play (offset by what I think they'd trade which is 4 top prospects).

The reason I said Backstrom is because TOR who's dying fora true #1 C would give up a tom but again in young guys and prospects. As far a launch have you used any of your freebie buyouts yet? Also I don't think Green is moveable, he's really talented offensively but unless teams want to go with a 4 winger unit I don't see that. Actually Green could be moved to a team like Boston (Chara), Nashville (Weber), Minnesota (Suter) because this team have guys who can cover him again in think for younger players and not the value people think they'd get. I do think Ward is moveable but as moe a hockey trade or salary dump, but again that may benefit you, I'm sure the Oilers I'm their search for size and grit would look at it just don't expect one of their top guys, however if you throw in something else (a pick or something) you could possibly get Gagner.

My point is I see options and the ability to clean house in management hire a new coach, I'd suggest peter Laviolette or another guy who plays and up tempo system so that even if you brought in a bunch of younger players and hit FA hard but intelligently (Vanek maybe) you would still have a chance to win games while building a young core to go forward with. Plus you have the Kustenov or whoever kid now who looks like he could be a stud.

It is really interesting to hear how many caps fans would be up for an overhaul though and more shockingly IMO losing Ovie, he was incredible with a bad team around him for the first few years of his career then seemed to lose something. I also don't think he's a player that can change that much, he's crazy talented but doesn't seen open to too much input from Oates a really amazing player in his own right. That's very telling to me that there's a problem, the question just is who's that problem.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine Ovie has a NTC or at least a limited NTC in his contract. I'm not sure he'll want to be shipped out to bottom feeders.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine Ovie has a NTC or at least a limited NTC in his contract. I'm not sure he'll want to be shipped out to bottom feeders.

According to CapGeek it's a modified NTC that doesn't kick in until July 1. After that he can list 10 teams he won't accept a trade to and revise it each off-season. So if they can move him before July 1, they can send him anywhere they want.

/Don't think it's happening anyhow.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens will take him off their hands for the rights to Michel Sivek, Ross Lupaschek and Kris Beech.

According to CapGeek it's a modified NTC that doesn't kick in until July 1. After that he can list 10 teams he won't accept a trade to and revise it each off-season. So if they can move him before July 1, they can send him anywhere they want.

/Don't think it's happening anyhow.
Iggy!!...er, Ovie!!!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought about this some more and it's the type of thing where as bad as Ovie is defensively and whatever other baggage he may/may not have, it's the type of thing where if you trade him you'll never get full value so it's probably best to keep him

The simple thing for the Caps to do is to get better defensemen - you don't have to trade Ovie to do that - they need a GM who knows how to develop d-men - their offense isn't that bad - I like some of their depth guys like Joel Ward and Troy Brouwer - they were both 20 goal scorers this season - and a full season of Evgeny Kuznetsov should help them too - also, re-signing Grabo might help the cause as it gives them a legitimate number two center