• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ovie available?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Tales of a Miserable 50 Goal Scorer: Could He Be Available? Should He Be?

I know it's Ek and he's talking about Ovie but the strange thing is I could see the caps rebuilding now. The question would be which route do they take? They have a few talented youngsters & if they retain Halak a decent starter but where do they go from there. I'm sure a team that makes no money would give up a ton for Ovie but it won't help them win, just sell merch.

I actually could see Backstrom bringing in a huge return from TOR starting with Kadri & Gardiner + but I'm not sure the caps would want those guys prob more like JVR & Franson. As far as Ovie goes I don't even know how to put a value on him, he's a pure goal scorer but lazy defensively even though he is overused on the ice & there's rumors he's not the most for the team guy.

Yet there's a small part of me that would love to see him play with G & Jake. I'm sure the asking price would be like both Schenns, Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn and some more ridiculous stuff but he just isn't worth anything close to that IMO with his negatives (it is possible that a new coach straightens him out Hitch, Babcock, Suter, maybe Berube could even fit in that mold of coach).

I think realistically the Caps could get 2 good(top 3/top2) NHL players 2 higher end prospects & some picks. If the want to go a multi year rebuild I could see them getting 6 players for Ovie easily but all young and still essentially prospects but it could address every issue they currently have whole letting them tank for a new superstar. I'm not sure if he's available but if he is someone will pick him up I just hope the Flyers steer clear of even inquiring into this mess. I'd even let the Pens get him because I think he'll hurt them more then he'd help, even though he'd have great personal numbers.

That said if they're having a fire sale I'd ask at Alzner & Carlson as would most of the league. They do have the assists to do a major overhaul and let Oates basically handpick his ideal team for his system, if he's there next year. It could be one of the most interesting things in hockey history now the only question is McPhee the guy you want making the trades.

I just thought this was interesting so I tossed it up for discussion, I mean often do you hear a name like Ovies possibly being shopped.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price tag that will come with him will be ridiculous. Good luck to the tean that guts out their entire farm + some roster players for him. They would be getting arguably the best player in the game and the top goal scorer though. But is it worth it?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade for OV because of what you'd have to give up in return - the Caps have a lot of work to do, that team is mediocre at this point

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope that before next season, we're either down Ovie and/or Backstrom. The core of the team isn't getting it done. Time to break it up and rebuild around the young guys.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On behalf of the New Jersey Devils we will offer our 1st round pick, two immoble defensemen (Sal & Volcehnkov) and the rights to Kovy should he return...hell we'll even through in our underperforming undersized swedish propects Josephson & Tedenby....think Teddy L will bite?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope that before next season, we're either down Ovie and/or Backstrom. The core of the team isn't getting it done. Time to break it up and rebuild around the young guys.

Keeping Halak?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens will take him off their hands for the rights to Michel Sivek, Ross Lupaschek and Kris Beech.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Kris Beech! That is a punchline between my Pens fans and I too.

Yeah:

Per Craig Patrick...... "He called Beech the key to the deal and a potential franchise player whose skills are similar to former Penguins great Ron Francis." :L

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the value he brings, there is no way that Backstrom is going anywhere. His cap hit is very favorable, never injured, we're short on excellent centers, etc. Someone mentioned Alzner and Carlson - same logic. Going nowhere b/c their cap hits are very favorable for their value.

You have to start by looking at Ovechkin and Green if you are talking about breaking up the nucleus of the team. I'm fine with either or both going at this point if they bring value back. 5+ years with the same core and no trip to even a conference final? Fucking ridiculous.

Before you do any of this, you fire GMGM though. Then the new guy has a chance to make this huge decision and direct the future of the team.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the value he brings, there is no way that Backstrom is going anywhere. His cap hit is very favorable, never injured, we're short on excellent centers, etc. Someone mentioned Alzner and Carlson - same logic. Going nowhere b/c their cap hits are very favorable for their value.

You have to start by looking at Ovechkin and Green if you are talking about breaking up the nucleus of the team. I'm fine with either or both going at this point if they bring value back. 5+ years with the same core and no trip to even a conference final? Fucking ridiculous.

Before you do any of this, you fire GMGM though. Then the new guy has a chance to make this huge decision and direct the future of the team.

Agreed with all of this - you don't trade your number one center, Nicklas Backstrom is one hell of a player - and you keep Karl Alzner and John Carlson - but everyone else is fair game

More than anything I think this would be about shaking up the locker room and getting players who are obviously talented, but better in the room and are more serious about winning

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ward's contract men's he is not going anywhere either and I am fine with that.

The third line has been pretty good. If you are the new GM of this team, I think you have to:

(1) Trade OV or Green
(2) Buyout Brooks Laich - love the guy, but his groin is always injured and he costs WAY too much for WAY too long to continue to depend on him. Even healthy I'm not sure he's worth the money, though I love his heart, character, personality, etc. Solid dude.