• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over/Under on Ed Hochuli botched call

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ring counters are know nothings. Amazing that people who actually watch games have no clue that it takes a hell of a lot more than a QB to win a game.

So true, i ranted about exactly that yesterday

Tom Brady was bailed out by his defense, kicker, and bush league rules during his SB Runs, more than most would like to admit

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And there are also folks who make preemptive excuses (e.g., @NEPatsfan ).
I really wasn't targeting him or anyone else in particular. We have plenty of Cowboy fans and we all know guys "in real life" that blame everything on the refs

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently your reading skills haven't full kicked in this morning. I said no particular team.

The question is being asked, because of Ed having a history of it.
I say BS.

Controversial calls

On September 14, 2008, Hochuli officiated a now-infamous game between the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos, which became notable for a highly controversial call near the end of regulation play.[40] The call came with 1:17 left in the game, while Denver was in possession of the ball at the San Diego one-yard line, trailing the Chargers by seven points. On a second-down play, Denver quarterback Jay Cutler fumbled the ball, and it was recovered by San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins. Ed Hochuli blew his whistle during the play, signaling that the play was dead and ruling an incomplete pass. Hochuli admitted his mistake and spotted the ball at the point of the fumble, but could not award possession to San Diego, and the play was not reviewable under then-current instant replay rules.[40] Chargers head coach Norv Turner later said after the game, "Ed came over to me and said he blew it. And that to me is not acceptable."[41] Hochuli responded to the situation, writing, "Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection – I failed miserably."[42] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was even fined $25,000 for publicly criticizing Hochuli.[43] The NFL passed a rule the following offseason allowing such plays to be reviewable under the instant replay rule for the 2009 NFL season.[44] Speaking to Referee in November 2009, Hochuli told the magazine, "It was really an easy play. I’ve thought many times why I did what I did. The best explanation is it was almost like dyslexia. I realized it was a fumble and did the wrong thing. I realized I was wrong but there was nothing I could do about it."

1 controversial call where he admitted that he fucked up. Interestingly, was voted best ref by the coaches in 2008.

Based on the fact I used to be a HS ref, and based on how highly the pro's think of EH, I'll put the over under at .5

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say BS.

Controversial calls

On September 14, 2008, Hochuli officiated a now-infamous game between the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos, which became notable for a highly controversial call near the end of regulation play.[40] The call came with 1:17 left in the game, while Denver was in possession of the ball at the San Diego one-yard line, trailing the Chargers by seven points. On a second-down play, Denver quarterback Jay Cutler fumbled the ball, and it was recovered by San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins. Ed Hochuli blew his whistle during the play, signaling that the play was dead and ruling an incomplete pass. Hochuli admitted his mistake and spotted the ball at the point of the fumble, but could not award possession to San Diego, and the play was not reviewable under then-current instant replay rules.[40] Chargers head coach Norv Turner later said after the game, "Ed came over to me and said he blew it. And that to me is not acceptable."[41] Hochuli responded to the situation, writing, "Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection – I failed miserably."[42] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was even fined $25,000 for publicly criticizing Hochuli.[43] The NFL passed a rule the following offseason allowing such plays to be reviewable under the instant replay rule for the 2009 NFL season.[44] Speaking to Referee in November 2009, Hochuli told the magazine, "It was really an easy play. I’ve thought many times why I did what I did. The best explanation is it was almost like dyslexia. I realized it was a fumble and did the wrong thing. I realized I was wrong but there was nothing I could do about it."

1 controversial call where he admitted that he fucked up. Interestingly, was voted best ref by the coaches in 2008.

Based on the fact I used to be a HS ref, and based on how highly the pro's think of EH, I'll put the over under at .5
Maybe he was just trying to make up for the fact that Denver had to play the game with Jay Cutler:noidea:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the odds Ed "guns" Hochuli interjects himself into this game?

I'm going with 2.5 botched calls, no particular team.
Ed is taking too many steroids.

a781ba9a19d45d93c20db83bf13bf89a.jpg

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well go ahead and change the thread title to,"tOfficial Patriot fan excuse thread."

Check out the quotes by Broncos CB Chris Harris, DE Malik Jackson, DE Antonio Smith and LB Brandon Marshall................sounds more like Bronco defensive players excuse thread.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the quotes by Broncos CB Chris Harris, DE Malik Jackson, DE Antonio Smith and LB Brandon Marshall................sounds more like Bronco defensive players excuse thread.

Link?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I remember it well. Get the impression that @NEPatsfan does too, since he seems to be scared that the same outcome is forthcoming.

What gives you the impression I "seem to be scared"? I watch football, and in particular the Patriots from a perspective of it's just entertainment. Do I hope they win? Sure. But if they lose, I don't lose any sleep over it and in this case if they were to lose, move my freed up focus over to the Bruins, then the Red Sox.

You shouldn't assume.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And there are also folks who make preemptive excuses (e.g., @NEPatsfan ).

What preemptive excuse would that be? I've made my prediction of what I see happening based on the available information.

This thread has nothing to do with that. I find Hochuli to be obnoxious as a white hat, regardless of what teams are playing.

Seems like you just have a predisposed narrative you are set on believing.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say BS.

Controversial calls

You should try and catch more games he calls then.

Botched also includes, in my opinion, calls that are simple everyday calls that take minutes to wrap up. Hence my reference to the 3 penalties on punts, all minor, that took what seemed like an eternity to get straightened out. Make the fing call, line them up, and start the next play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. Ed Hochuli year in and year out has been voted as one of the top officials every single season. He has been in the league for years upon years so yeah there are going to be a few calls that he is going to be known for but the fact that in all those years he honestly has only a handful of calls that are memorable should show just how good of an official he actually is.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. Ed Hochuli year in and year out has been voted as one of the top officials every single season. He has been in the league for years upon years so yeah there are going to be a few calls that he is going to be known for but the fact that in all those years he honestly has only a handful of calls that are memorable should show just how good of an official he actually is.

You're right, how could we possibly get by without his 2 minute dissertation on block in the back on a punt.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he is going to accuse our players of something pretty sure it should be his responsibility to look it up.

Now if he is just going to take little sound bites from the things the Broncos players have said this week then to me that is total crap. Now if he would be willing to actually listen to the entire interview of those players and show just how much they actually praised Tom Brady, BB, and Gronk then you might actually see there might not be a team in this league the Broncos respect more than the Patriots.

Yes a couple of DL guys have said Brady whines to the refs...Does anybody really disagree with that? I mean I think it is pretty common knowledge that he works the officials pretty hard.

Others have brought up Harris talking about going for the knees of Gronk...Right before or after that he said that it means that you have to go low to tackle him. He wasn't trying to suggest injury in anyway but that you have to go lower against a bigger player. THAT IS FOOTBALL 101 AS A DEFENSIVE PLAYER! So again explain to me how the Broncos have said anything controversial that isn't common knowledge to anybody that has played football in their life.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, how could we possibly get by without his 2 minute dissertation on block in the back on a punt.

So you would rather have an official that doesn't explain how they came to the conclusion they did...Especially on a controversial call?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is going to accuse our players of something pretty sure it should be his responsibility to look it up.

Now if he is just going to take little sound bites from the things the Broncos players have said this week then to me that is total crap. Now if he would be willing to actually listen to the entire interview of those players and show just how much they actually praised Tom Brady, BB, and Gronk then you might actually see there might not be a team in this league the Broncos respect more than the Patriots.

Yes a couple of DL guys have said Brady whines to the refs...Does anybody really disagree with that? I mean I think it is pretty common knowledge that he works the officials pretty hard.

Others have brought up Harris talking about going for the knees of Gronk...Right before or after that he said that it means that you have to go low to tackle him. He wasn't trying to suggest injury in anyway but that you have to go lower against a bigger player. THAT IS FOOTBALL 101 AS A DEFENSIVE PLAYER! So again explain to me how the Broncos have said anything controversial that isn't common knowledge to anybody that has played football in their life.

Or he could just look it up. He certainly seems to have the free time.

All QB's work the refs, including Manning.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would rather have an official that doesn't explain how they came to the conclusion they did...Especially on a controversial call?

Ed does it on basic calls too. You can't possibly expect me to believe that you're not aware that it's a running joke about him?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or he could just look it up. He certainly seems to have the free time.

All QB's work the refs, including Manning.

I don't disagree that Manning will sometimes get after the officials but to get after a Bronco player for saying that Brady whines to the officials when it is actually true is just ridiculous. Again if that fan would actually listen to the entire interview they would see every one of those players followed those words up with praise for the entire Patriots organization. They also said those things laughing while they were saying them. They were joking about it. They were talking to some sports guys on the radio where they are just trying to be funny and pander to the crowd that is listening (Bronco fans).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed does it on basic calls too. You can't possibly expect me to believe that you're not aware that it's a running joke about him?

That doesn't make him a bad official. He is highly regarded around the league...That includes coaches who have voted him as the top official many different times, the league grading system itself, and I have even seen plenty of players pay him compliments. Essentially right now Chargers fans still mad about the 2008 game and Patriot fans this week seem to be the only ones complaining about this guy.